It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Flare Headed Our Way!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
So, I just spoke to my sister who said they just told on the news that a large solar flare is coming toward Earth. It should hit in the next 2 or 3 days, knocking out communication grids. She couldn't remember the news channel it was on, and I can't find anything about it online.

Can anyone share more information about this? I want to know if I need to crawl inside my "cubby hole"!

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
ya more than likely said could knock it out.. and if so there aisnt anything going to restore the power.. they have no resister on them

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
It seems she heard it right:
www.spaceweather.com...

X1.4 class flare

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chibbols
It seems she heard it right:
www.spaceweather.com...

X1.4 class flare

Thanks, Chibbols! I appreciate the info! Take cover!!!!

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by crawdad1914
reply to post by sled735

www.latimes.com...

Wow!
Thank you, Crawdad!

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

There was an X1.4 flare earlier today which had a CME associated with it. The CME is expected to arrive on Friday/Saturday. At this time there is no reason to expect particularly intense geomagnetic activity. No reason to expect any grids of any sort to be "knocked out".

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
We have had flares such as this before - it might
take out some satellite receiving but that should be
all.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by sled735

There was an X1.4 flare earlier today which had a CME associated with it. The CME is expected to arrive on Friday/Saturday. At this time there is no reason to expect particularly intense geomagnetic activity. No reason to expect any grids of any sort to be "knocked out".

That makes me feel somewhat better.

Thanks, Phage

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

You are welcome!

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I think this is the one time I agree with you Phage. Seriously, no need to panic, will still be here Sunday and I'll still have to work.

edit on 12-7-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
it just so happens that this particular flare data is missing from soho....

sohodata.nascom.nasa.gov...
edit on 12-7-2012 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

SOHO is currently in a keyhole so data reception is spotty.

STEREO B got the CME. It looks like it's directed mostly "south" but we will be getting something.

edit on 7/12/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I know it doesn't look to be particularly huge but it still looks impressive as it heads directly towards Earth.

www.spaceweather.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Like is aid in the other thread about this:: I wonder what kind of effect it will have on communications and the power grid. I'll keep an eye out on this one. and no i don't think it'll be all doom and gloom, but i do expect a few problems. I'll guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.

gotta love cut and paste lol

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
With ANY luck it will knock out the telly and rid us of god damned bloody football all weekend... Yay!!

Nothing so abysmal as sports on almost every channel. Makes a very unhappy slothy mainidh.

*walks off into the sunset singing 'it's the end of the world, as we know it' *...

edit on 13-7-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

I would so give you 1000 stars for that!!

X1.4 is not exactly unusual or scary in fact before we had all this information we must have had many of these and guess what, we are still here.

What was the Carrington event. X57 or thereabouts?. Now you are talking flares!!!

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Thanks to everyone who has posted. I hope you will continue to keep us updated as it gets closer. I'm no good at checking these things, except what is told on the news. And they hold back what is really happening sometimes.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
With ANY luck it will knock out the telly and rid us of god damned bloody football all weekend... Yay!!

Nothing so abysmal as sports on almost every channel. Makes a very unhappy slothy mainidh.

*walks off into the sunset singing 'it's the end of the world, as we know it' *...

edit on 13-7-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

I couldn't agree with you more!!
Love your avatar, too!

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dyzan
Like is aid in the other thread about this:: I wonder what kind of effect it will have on communications and the power grid. I'll keep an eye out on this one. and no i don't think it'll be all doom and gloom, but i do expect a few problems. I'll guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.

gotta love cut and paste lol

Sorry if I am doing a double thread. I looked first, but didn't see anything about this, so I started my own.
I like to stay informed on such matters, ya know, in case I need to put on my flame-retardant jumpsuit.

How soon will they know what area may be impacted the most?
edit on 7/13/2012 by sled735 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join