It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So you think your an Atheist? Take my test...

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DirectDemocracy
The worst moment of my life was getting mortars lobbed onto my position in Iraq on a base. My Mormon supervisor excreted himself into his magical under-britches. He was crying and praying LOUDLY and attempting to crawl underneath our pickup truck. I do not blame him one bit. If I had held a belief in a religion or a God I would have prayed to Allagh, Jesus, the holy mary mother, Buddha and the mormon tabernacle choir.

I am not religious though and hold no stock in the notion of there existing gods or a god. At your worst moment in your life I think most people will try and get any advantage that they can. Logic and reason and rational critical thinking skills seem to be absent from the worst possible moments in most peoples lives. My training kicked in and my instinct and I grabbed my boss and dragged his ass into a ditch and finally had to lay my body on top of his fecal matter stained uniform to keep him from looking around in his foggy national guard desk jockey daze.

The muslims were praying to god I can assure you of that. Every mortar round dropped down the tube was probably followed by a loud god is great. They probably Allah Akbared all the way home.

Thanks for your Service...

I really thought there were no Atheist's in a fox hole or under a jeep.

Interesting you were at least open to it in the middle of your fight.

Thanks for your thoughts.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I figure when I die my neurons and neural pathways stop working and rot into compost and that is the end. I do not believe in a soul or a spirit or a holy ghost. There were not many Atheists when I enlisted. They did not allow me to put Atheist on my dog tags. I had to put "No Religious Preference".

I do not think the military wants people to stop thinking they go to the afterlife while they are killing other human beings and being killed by other human beings. It seems detrimental to the idea of this life is only temporary and if you step on a landmine and get blown up do not worry because you life forever in a magical happy land for all eternity.

If I were a military commander I would have no interest in Atheist war fighters who were that much more careful with their life's. To most religious people what does it matter if you catch a bullet when you live forever in Heaven with everyone from history all having a giant cloud party drinking beer, eating food and reveling in tales of love and battle.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere

Originally posted by SuperFrog
Well, honest answer - not just prayed, but asked God why....

Guess if I got an answer...

While we at it, let's talk about what are you missing. Care to elaborate...

Well, here I was this big bad Atheist.

Yet at my worst moment of my life.

I found myself calling out to God.

I just wonder if others ever had this experience.

Well next time don't do that..

instead, call out to the universe, because that is really what you are apart of...

not some fictional god...

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I'd say its more of a random phone call to anyone who might answer.

The Devil himself could answer and you wouldn't care - - as long as he got you out of there.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

i like your thread op, i classed myself as an atheist up until october last year, now i believe without a shadow of a doubt that God exsists,

In the very worst moment in your life...Did you cry out to or pray to God?

but your question above really made me smile as i recently asked myself a similar question about the way i felt before i believed, my dad was in intensive care a few years back and i definitely prayed to God to look after my dad back then, even though i didn't believe in him, or at least i didn't think i did.

now when i think back to being a small child i remember how i did believe in God, i specifically remember believing that God was everywhere, all around us all of the time. but somehow in the years between i had that idea drilled out of me and was blinded by science,

i'm so glad i saw the truth in the end

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Minnie1985
reply to post by whyamIhere

i like your thread op, i classed myself as an atheist up until october last year, now i believe without a shadow of a doubt that God exsists,

In the very worst moment in your life...Did you cry out to or pray to God?

but your question above really made me smile as i recently asked myself a similar question about the way i felt before i believed, my dad was in intensive care a few years back and i definitely prayed to God to look after my dad back then, even though i didn't believe in him, or at least i didn't think i did.

now when i think back to being a small child i remember how i did believe in God, i specifically remember believing that God was everywhere, all around us all of the time. but somehow in the years between i had that idea drilled out of me and was blinded by science,

i'm so glad i saw the truth in the end

It seems we had a very similar experience...

This is one crazy world we live in.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I'd say its more of a random phone call to anyone who might answer.

The Devil himself could answer and you wouldn't care - - as long as he got you out of there.

Annee,

I had to give you a star.

At the point when you were under fire...I probably would make a deal with whoever answered.

Great Point...

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join