It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So you think your an Atheist? Take my test...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Nope never prayed to any god to ask for anything or to have anything explained to me, good or bad. When you go through the worst, friends and family are there for that reason.

Did I pass your test?

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Off Topic. I knew it was a Bill Murray movie. That actors name is Warren Oates, fine actor that never really got his due. This man was in so much stuff in his career it's crazy. I remember him being in alot Of Peckinpah movies in the sixties. ( Big wester movie buff here). Stripes was one of his last films, I remember he passed away the year of my first marriage, 1982. One of the best character actors of all time.

If you get a chance watch Two Lane Blacktop I think from 1971, you'll be a Warren Oates fan from then on.
edit on 12-7-2012 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
never have ... though have used words that would peel the paint off walls in several languages at various times ....

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
Matter of fact, I think I was the first Atheist on my block. I thought I was cool.

I would intentionally say things to shock people I thought were of smaller minds.

I really felt superior. The Sheeple seemed so stupid. I was the only one who got it.

Yeah pretty much the worse attempt by a theist of any flavour to convince anyone that they were once an atheist.

This whole thread is just a poorly covered attempt at proselytizing....

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Prezbo369

Obviously, you didn't read a single page.

You could not possibly be more off target.

However, your drive-by post is still welcome.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Prezbo369

Matter of fact, I think I was the first Atheist on my block. I thought I was cool.

I would intentionally say things to shock people I thought were of smaller minds.

I really felt superior. The Sheeple seemed so stupid. I was the only one who got it.

Yeah pretty much the worse attempt by a theist of any flavour to convince anyone that they were once an atheist.

This whole thread is just a poorly covered attempt at proselytizing....

Yep.

Atheism means Lack of Belief in a god. Simple.

Its not "anti-god" or anti anything. Its not out to prove something - - be dis-establishment - - in your face - - or for shock value.

If you think you're Atheist because you're mad at God - - or the church didn't treat you right - - or blame God for this messed up world - - - that is not an Atheist.

If you simply and quietly lack belief that an omnipotent presence or being is responsible for all that exists - - - then you just might be a genuine Atheist.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Look, I was relating my personal experience.

I wasn't trying to define anything.

I was simply asking if anyone else had the same type of moment in crisis.

Everyone is free to believe what they want. I am not judging anyone.

I thought many of the replies were enlightening.

Why does my honest question have to have a nefarious agenda?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The problem was that you directed it at all Atheist... and of course calling it an Atheist Test is not a good way to have a discussion either..

by saying that you are referring that being an Atheist is an temporary thing(maybe it was for you) and it can be "cured" by calling to god during your worst moment.

Just because someone says "Oh my god!" "god damn it" or "thank god" < -- these are just figure of speech from most people it has nothing to do with actually believing in god(i m sure this was said earlier).

All in all, when you said "calling to god" during your "worst time" = curing yourself of Atheism. Thus you called it TEST.

Which is not true and you never really understood being an Atheist and just was because of the status of it. Like someone mentioned, angry at god, angry at church etc etc, these are not a reason for being an atheist, could be be one of the reason to point you in the direction(as in research, most Atheist research religion, not one but almost all mainstream ones, some atheist know scriptures more than a religious person) but not a whole reason.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I admit the title was a poor choice of words.

However, you know on ATS if your title does not grab anyone's attention.

Your thread will quickly vanish.

My honest intent was not to attack anyone.

If it did offend anyone....I am truly sorry.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

reply to post by luciddream

I admit the title was a poor choice of words.

However, you know on ATS if your title does not grab anyone's attention.

Your thread will quickly vanish.

My honest intent was not to attack anyone.

If it did offend anyone....I am truly sorry.

No Problem,

Other than you choice of words on the OP to grab attention, i really haven't seen you on the offensive.

Was just saying the reason why everyone is being offensive or rather defensive against you.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

reply to [url= by Prezbo369[/url]

Unfortunately I've read every single page of this thread, and as has been pointed out to you many many times, its based on a flawed point.

You don't need to pretend to have been an atheist to ask such a sucky and meaningless question

edit on 13-7-2012 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Prezbo369

reply to [url= by Prezbo369[/url]

Unfortunately I've read every single page of this thread, and as has been pointed out to you many many times, its based on a flawed point.

You don't need to pretend to have been an atheist to ask suck a meaningless question

Thanks...

The was just the laugh I needed this morning.

Have a great day...

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I do understand the journey.

I was raised Christian - - it never really "sat" right with me - - I went on a God quest that lasted 60 years.

It took me 60 years of searching/reading - trial & error - to finally accept no god belief made any sense to me. I do have personal beliefs. They do not include a god.

If you look up Atheist threads on ATS - - you will discover most of them are started by theists with a baited question.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

reply to post by Annee

I do understand the journey.

I was raised Christian - - it never really "sat" right with me - - I went on a God quest that lasted 60 years.

It took me 60 years of searching/reading - trial & error - to finally accept no god belief made any sense to me. I do have personal beliefs. They do not include a god.

If you look up Atheist threads on ATS - - you will discover most of them are started by theists with a baited question.

Hey Annee,

Since you read many beliefs, have you every tried following customs in Buddhism or Jainism? or just the mainstream abrahamic ones?

i looked at eastasian/southasian customs, as an Atheist, those "religion" fit me well, 1) is that they don't have any god, but they have meditation, Yoga, mental focus, those kinda things, and live and let live attitude which i really like.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

. My test is very simple. Just one question.

In the very worst moment in your life...Did you cry out to or pray to God?

Please keep your answers respectful...I am truly curious.

Thanks

Well, that doesn't fit for me, as a good "test". It seems that it would merely be an expression of hope, or wishful thinking, in a difficult situation. One could hope, in the most precarious situations, that a mermaid would save them.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I agree most of these type of threads are baited.

I admitted my title was to grab attention.

My question was honest.

I can argue both sides of the issue.

But I have to admit...When my child's life was on the line.

I dropped down to my knees really quick.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Hey Annee,

Since you read many beliefs, have you every tried following customs in Buddhism or Jainism? or just the mainstream abrahamic ones?

i looked at eastasian/southasian customs, as an Atheist, those "religion" fit me well, 1) is that they don't have any god, but they have meditation, Yoga, mental focus, those kinda things, and live and let live attitude which i really like.

I've touched on pretty much everything - - - not always full immersion. A lot of stuff is an off-shoot of something else.

Buddhism is not atheist - - but atheistic as there is no god.

There is no almighty God in Buddhism. There is no one to hand out rewards or punishments on a supposedly Judgement Day. Buddhism is strictly not a religion in the context of being a faith and worship owing allegiance to a supernatural being. www.religionfacts.com...

Its actually a practical life philosophy.

I was raised Christian - - but I was also raised with psychics/metaphysics/power of positive thinking. (this was in the 50s). My mom belonged to a group called the Mental Shop that discussed UFOs and paranormal stuff. She was also one of the original members of Norman Vincent Peale's first church. (Religious Science - - study of Science of Mind - - Power of Positive Thinking).

I was encouraged to "Walk My Own Path".

Honestly - - my happiest times were as a Mormon. If there is ever a group (minus the god part) organized and run the same way - - I'm joining.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

I agree most of these type of threads are baited.

I admitted my title was to grab attention.

My question was honest.

I can argue both sides of the issue.

But I have to admit...When my child's life was on the line.

I dropped down to my knees really quick.

Honestly - - I have said "Oh my God" and "God help me" - - etc etc.

I'd say for me - - its like an automatic response - - as most of my life I was a "programmed believer".

If I say it now - - it dissipates differently. As I believe everything is energy - - that everything is a thought creation.

Every thought becomes part of the "Matrix" - - so to speak.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
There are many phrases in common use which include 'God' and 'Jesus Christ', which are adapted for many situations. They are a part of our culture, and hold very little significance. I feel that this thread is aimed at the wrong people in society, and that a more interesting question would be 'are you a true believer?' In any god, I have yet to find or hear of someone who can answer yes to that.

Probably because, just as children come to realise the impossibility of the existence of Santa and his flying reindeer, the outlandish claims of any religion become more difficult to accept as accurate depictions of history.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
The worst moment of my life was getting mortars lobbed onto my position in Iraq on a base. My Mormon supervisor excreted himself into his magical under-britches. He was crying and praying LOUDLY and attempting to crawl underneath our pickup truck. I do not blame him one bit. If I had held a belief in a religion or a God I would have prayed to Allagh, Jesus, the holy mary mother, Buddha and the mormon tabernacle choir.

I am not religious though and hold no stock in the notion of there existing gods or a god. At your worst moment in your life I think most people will try and get any advantage that they can. Logic and reason and rational critical thinking skills seem to be absent from the worst possible moments in most peoples lives. My training kicked in and my instinct and I grabbed my boss and dragged his ass into a ditch and finally had to lay my body on top of his fecal matter stained uniform to keep him from looking around in his foggy national guard desk jockey daze.

The muslims were praying to god I can assure you of that. Every mortar round dropped down the tube was probably followed by a loud god is great. They probably Allah Akbared all the way home.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join