It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks Begins Release of 'Syria Files:' Over 2.4 Million Documents From 680 Entities

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Today, Thursday 5 July 2012, WikiLeaks began publishing the Syria Files – more than two million emails from Syrian political figures, ministries and associated companies, dating from August 2006 to March 2012. This extraordinary data set derives from 680 Syria-related entities or domain names, including those of the Ministries of Presidential Affairs, Foreign Affairs, Finance, Information, Transport and Culture.

http://__._/syria-files/

In the light of current events in Syria this might prove interesting in helping to understand what is going on in the county at the moment and what is causing the bloodshed.

Over the next two months, ground-breaking stories derived from the files will appear in WikiLeaks (global), Al Akhbar (Lebanon), Al Masry Al Youm (Egypt), ARD (Germany), Associated Press (US), L’Espresso (Italy), Owni (France) and Publico.es (Spain). Other publications will announce themselves closer to their publishing date

http://__._/syria-files/

"The material is embarrassing to Syria, but it is also embarrassing to Syria’s opponents. It helps us not merely to criticise one group or another, but to understand their interests, actions and thoughts. It is only through understanding this conflict that we can hope to resolve it."

JA

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Goody goody yum yum.

I hope they have some juicy files on how NATO is stirring the pot over there. I'm not saying that Assad is totally innocent, just that we only mainly hear one side of the story. So if they really do release these files, will it help Julian Assange fight extradition, I doubt it but hope it provides some fireworks.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
This is going to be good and bad for both NATO and Syria! It will expose wrongdoing on both sides I'm just not sure what effect this will have on the current civil conflicts and the impending foreign action..

Either way this is massive news S+F!
Go wikileaks!!
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I can't believe this thread is not very popular yet. This story is all over the news now.

ABC News
BBC
CNN
RT

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Its just like Lord of the Rings

"Battle for Middle Earth"..

WikiLeaks is government owned.

Let the Propaganda Begin.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by toocoolnc
Its just like Lord of the Rings

"Battle for Middle Earth"..

WikiLeaks is government owned.

Let the Propaganda Begin.

Which government, Mr. Unfounded Claims?

I read about this right after waking up and it was refreshing news. I'm glad WikiLeaks is still going strong amid all the Assange-Drama, and this couldn't have come at a better time.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
It covers both sides? I have a bad feeling about this. Why does it have to be published now? Another attempt to justify a NATO intervention?

edit on 5-7-2012 by ALF88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
This time, I'd say WikiLeaks is doing NATO's bidding ... if it is, it's probably the first "intelligent" move that has been made, by NATO ... and one that shows, as well, that there is real opposition now.

I read this, as the following:

Loook at us, yes we faltered and we erred and it's been embarrassing ... but look at Syria, what we've been saying is true.

However, up until now it's been all like "we're good guys, fighting the good fight against the evil".

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALF88
It covers both sides? I have a bad feeling about this. Why does it have to be published now? Another attempt to justify a NATO intervention?

I smell "Al Qaida" move ... where Bin Ladin always appeared on TV, to help people move their hatred in the right direction.

This is a more intelligent approach, to get sympathy for the war through show of "humility" ...

It's going to work, too ... people will believe them.

Now, you all know where the WikiLeak data originate from ... CIA.

edit on 5/7/2012 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/7/2012 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Or may be this is the huge propaganda campaign NATO was recently talking about unveiling, courtesy of wikileaks.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Or may be this is the huge propaganda campaign NATO was recently talking about unveiling, courtesy of wikileaks.
reply to post by Daedal

Thats real clever how they are trying to extradite the man for rape...

Yeah I understand this is ATS and we are suspicious of everything here.

But at what point are we letting our own skepticism and intelligence shoot our selfs in the foot.

Reminds me of the poison scene in Princess bride, killed by our own paranoia and skepticism

We do this with everyone that actually trys to change the system, from the Tea party, Anon, and Wikileaks.

at some point one of these places is going to actually be trying to help and all we do here is nothing but cry that they are all propaganda .

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by R6A6W6
Goody goody yum yum.

I hope they have some juicy files on how NATO is stirring the pot over there. I'm not saying that Assad is totally innocent, just that we only mainly hear one side of the story. So if they really do release these files, will it help Julian Assange fight extradition, I doubt it but hope it provides some fireworks.

I dont think Assad is responsible for the massacres happening in Syria Either. He has said himself outside forces are at play. I doubt the release of the files will stop the extradition of JA..

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
time to change the game.

enough of the little stuff.

spill the beanz.

i got your back.
edit on 5-7-2012 by lacrimaererum because: courage is contagious. i am waiting.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
What I find interesting in this propaganda machine is we have had 2 consecutive days of press releases regarding JA and Wikileaks.

Something smells fishy

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by magma

That sounds a lot like saying "I can't believe CNN broadcasted today, and Anderson Cooper had an article about him yesterday."

Media organizations are going to constantly be pumping out information, you can't expect WikiLeaks and Assange to be ignored forever just because their budget isn't as high as the mainstream media outlets.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous404

No , it is about JA bid for asylum and an article posted regarding a comment made by Ecuador diplomat

here

Then the following day Wikileaks announces it is leaking more files.

Coincidence? Think about it

As I said something is a smelling fishy
edit on 5-7-2012 by magma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
2.4 million documents is fine if you have years to shift through it all, but really who has that kind of time? One way to take the eyes off of the important stuff is to bury it in a flood of trivia. So who really benefits with this kind of a leak anyway?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I hope this round of information sharing comes at a lower cost to those who leaked it.. Bradley Manning has intentionally been treated horrendously and without hope for correction to detour others from making the decision to share information.

Our government acts in a way that is so expectant of our $$$ and do restricting when we ask questions as to how its spent or the reasoning behind it.

I would love to see more of these.. But from the office secretary at Citibank, things of that sort.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jlfose

They are going for transparency by releasing the files in their totality, however.. they dilute the actual impeded issues with the sheer size of things. Perhaps functionality on their site to highlight most important information, or to make it 'searchable'.. Or even i dunno, a main stream media source taking it upon themselves to investigate and report on the findings?

They form of reporting is delivering the information in its entirety and allowing the reader to draw the conclusion from that.. Only releasing the juicy #, could toy with it, and loose them credibility.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

That, yes, and all of these reactions without anyone even reading 1% (24,000) of them. Nobody has made a dent in the documents, but there are comments galore. Get over yourselves, really.

In the end, who really knows anything about what the documents have been through? Maybe they have been tampered with, or is it so unlikely that the elite have a digital enemy? Well, let's see, they're trying to get the guy in jail. I'd say he's not an asset. If the documents largely expose the profiteering warlords of the nations, would that make you believe?

If we so much as lie on a tax return, we are fined or go to jail. If the politicians lie to get a war started or for pretty much any damn reason they choose, they don't get punished severely as they should! They should get even WORSE sentences than we do, since they should be held to higher standards! Screw these traitors and lying scum! I hope they all get justice, if such a thing will ever exist in my lifetime!
edit on 6-7-2012 by daynight42 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join