It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC Grocery Stores Out of Food, Gas Unavailable, Grid-Down As Summer Heat Rages

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
So all those trillions spent on homeland security were really to protect the system from the people it governs (or rules, or oppresses).

Theres your proof. Just one terrifying thunderstorm got thru all that protection and just ... just look at it!

One lightning strike on one generator and the east coast is conquered.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by 1947flxible

None of this is true. I have been working in DC for the past week and there is plenty of food, in the Giant store, NO issues at all with gas. And the power is just fine in the majority of the areas. Exageration at its worst

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skada
reply to post by ManFromEurope

7 days is nothing. I spent 2.5 weeks without electricity, hurricane Ike.

My wife and I have been without power a week at a time before, once an ice storm in Northern Indiana and once for hurricane Charlie in S/W Florida.

After the hurricane there was mass destruction, all power and internet and phones were down. Cell phones worked for maybe 2.5 days until the batteries running the towers ran out, then nothing. We'd go to sleep in the sweltering heat listening to the sounds of generators running (we didn't have one) and wake up to the sounds of absolute silence.

Ice was hard to find, purchases were cash only, gas stations were running dry, I waited in line to buy some only to be turned away when they ran out.

A friend worked at a theater and he unlocked it for us so we could get buckets of ice before it melted.

There was often a sense of camaraderie and in many neighborhoods people would pool food with those who had a generator and could keep a fridge running. Neighborhood cookouts were the thing to do. Cook it or waste it.

We all learned how expensive it is to replace every single condiment you own all at once.

I would go to work and charge batteries there, the owners had a large generator that kept the business running and eventually power came on there.

Our infant daughter was in danger of overheating so we simply let her sit in a large tub of water out on the front porch, we all sat around on lawn chairs chatting with friends and sweating.

Still have a picture of that, looking back on it the memories are somewhat fond, at the time it was 85% misery and 15% insanity.

Ah, memories.

The ice storm is a story for another day, we were newlyweds at the time and all I remember was enjoying staying warm at night in front of the fireplace.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by zero1020

They do. BGE, PEPCO, et al have very extensive tree cutting programs.

This isn't a tree or utility problem. This was a rare storm, called a derecho, that only happens once in every 25 years. Only 5 have a been a problem in history.

The best way to describe a derecho is to call it the opposite of a tornado. An outie instead of an innie.

You don't hear people in tornado alley sayign that there shouldn't be trees down and houses destroyed, what is wrong with infastructure??

Sometimes, a weather event has the royal flush, and there is nothing you can do about it.

In one of the previous derechos, one of the M states had over 12,000 fallen trees.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
It's been a full moon!!

Not that it would make a difference????

Just sayn

I'm in Michigan and it's 99 out and I have ribs going in the smoker. If your going to be hot might as well enjoy it. The hot tubs at 99 and the house is 72.

Life is good
edit on 5-7-2012 by mikellmikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1947flxible

Originally posted by antioligarchs
Wear your in foil hat, be prepared

I dont wear a timfoil hat, its to darn hot and heat escapes through the top of your head, to hot for the foil today m8, im thinking perferated mylar, suggesting tinfoil on a day like today, youre 1 of them aren't you!

edit on 3-7-2012 by 1947flxible because: spelling

tin foil hats don't work, it needs to be copper

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by surfnow
reply to post by 1947flxible

None of this is true. I have been working in DC for the past week and there is plenty of food, in the Giant store, NO issues at all with gas. And the power is just fine in the majority of the areas. Exageration at its worst

I am not making this up as i go, i have no dought that in your portion of DC what you say is true, but that is not true everywhere, i offer this article as proof containing satellite pictures of the east coast with the power out

www.theblaze.com...

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join