It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God particle is 'found': Scientists at Cern expected to announce on Wednesday Higgs boson particle

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+46 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

God particle is 'found': Scientists at Cern expected to announce on Wednesday Higgs boson particle has been discovered

www.dailymail.co.uk

Scientists at Cern will announce that the elusive Higgs boson 'God Particle' has been found at a press conference next week, it is believed.

Five leading theoretical physicists have been invited to the event on Wednesday - sparking speculation that the particle has been discovered.

Scientists at the Large Hadron Collider are expected to say they are 99.99 per cent certain it has been found - which is known as 'four sigma' level.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...[/exnew s](visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 093131p://7America/ChicagoSun, 01 Jul 2012 21:00:11 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Jul 1 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: complete source title MUST be used

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Well this is it. We have been waiting for this monumental discovery and it has been finally announced that the particle does indeed exist. The particle is fundamental as a part of the standard model of the universe. I await to see what more excitement it holds. This just verifies that we are perhaps on the right track to understanding how our universe operates

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Im glad I was kept awake like I have been the last few days here at night in the UK.

Great news, can't wait to try and get to grips with what this means.

+33 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Even if we did understand the universe better because of this proven partical , all man will do is exploit it for personal gain, invoking more pain and suffering.

Man is destructive enough without the key to the secret.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

+14 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
You know I never quite understood the whole point to this.

Ok, so you found your particle. Its a nice ego stroke to know you were right and it exists.

That does what for us?
What innovations can come out of this discovery?
Will this lead to further advancement of quantum theory?

ad infinitum

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
It seems that the two teams involved are nearly there and CERN didn't destroy the planet as many feared.
I guess they'll continue with their experiments until they've discovered many more than the 300 Higgs - Boson candidates that they've currently found before claiming that they have conclusive proof.
edit on 1/7/12 by Insomniac because: typo

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I wonder how long it will take the before its weaponized?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Doesn't the existence of the Higgs-Boson particle prove the existence of other dimensions?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

'God' particle is Found

Actually, the headline is God particle is 'found': Scientists at Cern expected to announce on Wednesday Higgs boson particle has been discovered

with the quotes around the 'found', not the 'God', since they havent actually 'confirmed' the announcement as of yet.

Also, slightly related, the word 'science' next to 'dailymail' made me chuckle a bit. sort of like 'healthy' next to mcdonalds.

Anyway, interesting subject. Will be fascinating to hear what they actually have to say on the subject.

in.reuters.com...
edit on 1-7-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
"We found it! We are sure of it. Because of this, this, and this... What? No, we didn't actually find it really, we just know it's there."

Yawn, we'll see. Even if they did find something it will probably be more of a symptom vs the cause kind of thing.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing. This stuff is pretty interesting to me, although I probably only understand .000001% of what I read.
With that said, can someone tell me in a very dumbed down way, why do they need something SOOO BIG (the Hadron collider) to study something so small??

I understand on a very, very, very basic level that this discovery basically proves a theory... (thanks, wiki) but what exactly are the implications of this discovery as far as us everyday regular people is concerned? They call it the God particle, are they saying that this Higgs Boson thing is sort of like a glue that holds EVERYTHING together?

Sorry in advance for my ignorance, I like this type of info, I just don't always interpret it very well on my own!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I posted abotu this rumor a bit ago

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now it's sounding like the rumor is more than just a rumor.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
First off S & F

I was just reading this then checked to see if anybody had posted it yet.

Originally posted by magma
Even if we did understand the universe better because of this proven partical , all man will do is exploit it for personal gain, invoking more pain and suffering.

Man is destructive enough without the key to the secret.

Top 5 Implications of Finding the Higgs Boson

*The Origin of Mass
The Higgs boson has long been thought the key to resolving the mystery of the origin of mass.

*The Standard Model
The Standard Model is the reigning theory of particle physics that describes the universe's very small constituents.

*The Electroweak Force
Discovering the Higgs boson would also help explain how two of the fundamental forces of the universe — the electromagnetic force that governs interactions between charged particles, and the weak force that's responsible for radioactive decay — can be unified.

*Supersymmetry
Another theory that would be affected by the discovery of the Higgs is called supersymmetry. This idea posits that every known particle has a "superpartner" particle with slightly different characteristics.

*Validation of LHC
The discovery of the Higgs would offer major validation for the LHC and for the scientists who've worked on the search for many years.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azdraik
That does what for us?

Well as I understand it, this thing comes into existence in everything to give particles mass then disappears. So without it, the particles would have no mass and would travel at the speed of light I suppose maybe in every direction(?) And me personally, still with alot of physics to learn, think that maybe we could use it to take apart mass of something and then use it again at another location forming the exact particles as it was before.

I don't know though, I don't know much else but that one fact about the particle.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azdraik
You know I never quite understood the whole point to this.

Ok, so you found your particle. Its a nice ego stroke to know you were right and it exists.

That does what for us?
Will this lead to further advancement of quantum theory?

ad infinitum

doesn't it give more credibility to zero point energy and the Hutcheson Effect? en.wikipedia.org...

"According to Milonni (1994), some of the effects attributed to the vacuum electromagnetic field can have several physical interpretations, some more conventional than others. The Casimir attraction between uncharged conductive plates is often proposed as an example of an effect of the vacuum electromagnetic field. Schwinger, DeRaad, and Milton (1978) are cited by Milonni (1994) as validly, though unconventionally, explaining the Casimir effect with a model in which "the vacuum is regarded as truly a state with all physical properties equal to zero."[31][32] In this model, the observed phenomena are explained as the effects of the electron motions on the electromagnetic field, called the source field effect. Milonni writes: "The basic idea here will be that the Casimir force may be derived from the source fields alone even in completely conventional QED, ..." Milonni provides detailed argument that the measurable physical effects usually attributed to the vacuum electromagnetic field cannot be explained by that field alone, but require in addition a contribution from the self-energy of the electrons, or their radiation reaction (wouldn't this be the Higgs field?). He writes: "The radiation reaction and the vacuum fields are two aspects of the same thing when it comes to physical interpretations of various QED processes including the Lamb shift, van der Waals forces, and Casimir effects."[33] This point of view is also stated by Jaffe (2005): "The Casimir force can be calculated without reference to vacuum fluctuations, and like all other observable effects in QED, it vanishes as the fine structure constant, α, goes to zero."

edit on 1-7-2012 by bottleslingguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Hey brother Pro , thanks for posting this , i am willing to bet that anything they find has been found previously , i am sure military control is their prior them releasing the information to the public , weapons weapons weapons!

just saying

ty brother

LSH

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
The tinfoiler in me wonders whether this is the discovery that will disprove religion?

Now that's out of my system, that;s great news and will hopefully assist us in taking leaps and bounds forward.

Why don't they have real physicists working on this instead of "theoretical physicists"? I'll ask the question at risk of sounding stupid, are they theoretical in terms of investigating as yet, theoretical aspects of physics or are they not actual physicists but theoretical physicists as in, lack professional credentials?

Great find OP

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
How can a particle, that exists for a very short time and is responsible for causing sub atomic particles to join together to simply exist be weaponized? This discovery merely proves the existence of certain scientific theories, that until this discovery were basically supported by an educated guess. This isn't going to make leaps and bounds for innovations, or weaponry but rather an understanding as to why everything exists as it does.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pirateofpsychonautics
The tinfoiler in me wonders whether this is the discovery that will disprove religion?

Disprove Religion or God?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join