It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God particle is 'found': Scientists at Cern expected to announce on Wednesday Higgs boson particle

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

Thanks mate!

Thought that might be the case and thanks for not throwing in any scorn or ridicule- it's odd to get a question answered without that on here these days.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by AaronWilson
Some people in this thread clearly do not understand the importance of this discovery. My god people, this is huge news if its true!

Iam sorry Iam an idiot
can someone explain it to me slowly
I know I should feel really happy but I need to understand it first

Oh and OP (Iam gonna call you Swanson) S&F you always turn up cool stuff

edit on 1-7-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

I've been guilty of that myself, but I am working on it. Cheers to you!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
In short, theoretical physicists work in the "fundamental" department, they try to explain the world, while other physicists work in applied physics, they try to come up with real world applications.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

Disprove God or Religion?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

The article said they are expecting to learn its been found, but are the just basing that on the prestige of the scientists innvited? I have a feeling we will just hear they found more evidence of it or think they caught a glimpse. Maybe I'm wrong I just expect that it'd be shouted from the roof if found. I think its strange that the media covers this so much. I mean we find it interesting, but does the general public? I think they just like the name god particle.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Scientists at Cern will announce that the elusive Higgs boson 'God Particle' has been found at a press conference next week,

If it has been found at a press conference next week, haven't they been looking in the wrong place all this time?

So they've also discovered time travel... interesting. :-)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I wonder what this will mean for humanity as we know it.
Will this have any effects on our day to day lives?
I don't know much about these things.....
But I know they've been looking for quite some time, so good on them.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

The collider, housed in an 18-mile tunnel buried deep underground near the French-Swiss border, smashes beams of protons – sub-atomic particles – together at close to the speed of light, recreating the conditions that existed a fraction of a second after the Big Bang. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... xzz1zRRvTbXd

That is a rather big contraption

However, despite 1,600 trillion collisions being created in the tunnel - there have been fewer than 300 potential Higgs particles. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... xzz1zRS6WdNT

1600 trillion collisions with 300 potentials.

God particle found?

Hmmm if they say so the potential of this "discovery" isn't going to do anything for mankind anytime soon.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I guess this particle proves once and for all that God exists.

Awesome!!!!

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I find it interesting that the official announcement is to be made during the full Moon on July 4th, a noted date in occult and Illuminati symbolism.

edit on 7/2/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
can I see the birth certificate?
long forum please ... not a copy

I want to make sure my particle is a real particle

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

IMO it is very unlikely that this hypothesised particle has been found
or will be found for that matter, unless they are interpreting missing
energies from collisions to be definitive proof of this particle.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I am all for advancements in science, especially if used for good purpose.

The technology that could result from such findings and further research, could include things like de-massing cancer cells and exploring the nature of the universe, perhaps even giving some protection for people and the planet.

On the flip side, when the atom was split we got nuclear weaponry, further technology on this could lead to de-massing weaponry, teleportation? or all sorts of things.

Hopefully this will be used for good.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
So many things could be wrong with the CERN Machine it is not even funny. I dont understand how they trust technology that requires so much .... technology. I mean they are measuring things so small a piece of dust on an electrical wire could throw off measurements

I just don't know if i trust CERN , too much technology with the most miniscule thing able to throw off measurements by the smallest fraction.
edit on 2-7-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
apparently it's more important to spend gazillions of dollars/pounds on building this machine and finding a particle that supposedly sparks 'life', than to preserve existing life on this planet by spending those gazillions helping disadvantaged people of the world.

no matter how hard i try i can't get my head around that particular fact.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Excellent, have to say though, it took C.E.R.N long enough, LoL. Now how long do we have to wait for the FTL drives and wormhole generators to appear? How long is this piece of string anyway? LoL
edit on 2-7-2012 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Five leading theoretical physicists have been invited to the event on Wednesday - sparking speculation that the particle has been discovered.

Scientists at the Large Hadron Collider are expected to say they are 99.99 per cent certain it has been found - which is known as 'four sigma' level.

This article is very misleading... there is "speculation" and "expectations" about what they are going to say, but no one really knows what they are going to say. Furthermore, I can't possibly see how they could be 99.99% certain because they have never before witnessed the Higgs particle (until possibly now). They have carried out trillions of collisions over several years and not once have they found anything they could label a Higgs Boson. In fact if you keep reading the article they explain it:

If the physicists’ theory is correct, a few Higgs bosons should be created in every trillion collisions, before rapidly decaying.

This decay would leave behind a ‘footprint’ that would show up as a bump in their graphs.

However, despite 1,600 trillion collisions being created in the tunnel - there have been fewer than 300 potential Higgs particles.

Now it is thought that two separate teams of scientists, who run independent experiments in secret from each other, have both uncovered evidence of the particle.

However, the two groups, CMS and ATLAS, are expected to stop short of confirming its existence.

So what we have here is some potential "evidence of the particle", but not enough to confirm its existence... the title of the article is absolutely misleading, they haven't found anything, they have some vague evidence suggesting they may have found something but enough to confirm anything...

And I highly doubt what they have found will pan out to be what they hope it is. There is no particle which transmits the force of gravity or we would have found it by now. The force of gravity works in a much more elusive way and goes deeper into the heart of reality... I highly doubt it actually works via a boson particle.
edit on 2/7/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

If scientists can properly conduct test and not find a Higgs Boson and a single spec of dirt can cause one to exist, that would definitely be something to look into and it would be amazing, not laughable.

reply to post by ChaoticOrder

They've been saying for a while now that they "think they found it", how many times will it just lead to false hope? How can they not know if they found it and yet plan an announcement? There are many questions to be asked..

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

They've been saying for a while now that they "think they found it", how many times will it just lead to false hope?
As many times as it takes before they realize they are searching for something which doesn't exist.

How can they not know if they found it and yet plan an announcement?
We don't know what the announcement is about, it's probably just to say they have found some more "promising" evidence to "suggest" the Higgs may yet exist. They need to make regular motivational updates to make people think they aren't wasting vast amounts of money searching for something which can't be found. They will not announce they have found it. The Daily Mail (the best source ever
) are the ones trying to spin this and put words into their mouth.
edit on 2/7/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join