It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Occupy gathering set for July 4 in Philly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Occupy groups from across the country are headed to Philadelphia for a national gathering on Independence Mall, seeking to unify their far-flung movement against economic inequality a half-year after police evicted protesters from encampments in Philadelphia, Los Angeles, New York and other cities.

Source AP

Here we go again.

Philly will be an interesting place NOT to be if your wanting a quiet holiday this coming Independence Day.

Philadelphia Managing Director Rich Negrin said city officials have been preparing for the Occupy gathering, a conference being held by a spinoff group known as The 99% Working Group and other events planned by tea party activists.

So it's not only Occupy that will be there, but other groups as well.. Including the Tea Party.

This could be rather interesting to keep an eye on.

On Average, the July 4th holiday brings roughly a million people to the town for concerts, and other festivities.

So what thinks you, ATS? Embers still smoldering for a fire, or is this just beating a dead horse (As far as the average person is concerned).

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
This event is also endorsed by 100 occupy groups.

Deputy Police Commissioner Kevin Bethel said the department will bolster its police presence downtown. They plan to use uniformed and non-uniformed personnel, mounted units and bicycle officers, but he declined to say how many additional officers will be on.Deputy Police Commissioner Kevin Bethel said the department will bolster its police presence downtown. They plan to use uniformed and non-uniformed personnel, mounted units and bicycle officers, but he declined to say how many additional officers will be on.

(Emphasis above is mine)

This also sets the ground-work for "Agent provocateurs".

Could things blow up on them?
edit on 29-6-2012 by Cygnis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Living over the bridge, about 20 minutes from Philly, in the 'burbs, nothing ever goes well when there are groups gathered in Philly. Plus, it's too close to Camden. You couldn't pay me to go into Camden....at least a shooting a day in Camden and at last a shooting a day in Philly..scary.....

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Mr. Confusion here. I read the article but I still can't figure out why they're bothering. Occupiers from all over the country are expected to attend and the organizers are looking for 1500 people? Not 15,000 or 150,000? The only purpose I saw in the article is that they want to draw up a list of grievances and give it to the government. Is that what OWS has become? My aunt's bridge club has drawn up a list of grievances.

Do they think they'll be able to repair their tarnished image? Help Obama to a second term? Strike terror into the hearts of Wall Street? Will somebody help me out here?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

Yea, I hear ya there, it's not the safest place in the world. Let's just hope nothing horrid happens.

reply to post by charles1952

Your guess is as good as mine there.. Tho if all it took was a few people getting together to write up a list of issues, and send it on to government, to get a fix, I think it would have been done and taken care of a long time ago.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by CygnisPhilly will be an interesting place NOT to be if your wanting a quiet holiday this coming Independence Day.

Yes, whenever i think of the 4th in a major american city, i think of peace and relaxation.

That has Philadelphia officials bracing for extra people during a week that already brings more than 1 million tourists to town for concerts, fireworks and other celebrations

Just a nice quiet 4th.

Also:

The Independence Hall Tea Party Association is planning its annual celebration of "American Exceptionalism" on the mall on July 4 and expects up to 2,000 people, said association co-founder Don Adams.

edit on 29-6-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Originally posted by CygnisPhilly will be an interesting place NOT to be if your wanting a quiet holiday this coming Independence Day.

Yes, whenever i think of the 4th in a major american city, i think of peace and relaxation.

That has Philadelphia officials bracing for extra people during a week that already brings more than 1 million tourists to town for concerts, fireworks and other celebrations

Just a nice quiet 4th.

Also:

The Independence Hall Tea Party Association is planning its annual celebration of "American Exceptionalism" on the mall on July 4 and expects up to 2,000 people, said association co-founder Don Adams.

edit on 29-6-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

I had a good laugh, thanks for the sarcasm.. LOL..

Point well taken.. any major holiday in a major city is bedlam.. true enough..

top topics

join