It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EBT Card Abuse and Energy Drinks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I was going into a local convenience store to grab myself a cold drink on a hot day, when I noticed this advertisement on the front of the drink cooler. I couldn't help but take a picture, and wonder about the issue of whether food stamps or EBT cards should be allowed when purchasing "Energy Drinks".

I think that in the case of this product, the makers of the drink are exploiting the system by not labeling it as an "Energy Drink" on the can, even though it contains the same ingredients as most other energy drinks. It even states that it is EBT Approved on the can itself. Instead it says that it is a "Mood Enhancement Formula". IMO, they are simply using a loophole in the system to allow people to purchase their product with food stamps or EBT cards.

I'm not certain as to the law in my state, but I do know that in many states, they are not legal to purchase using EBT cards. Just because it's not labeled "Energy Drink" doesn't mean that it isn't. It contains the same ingredients, so it's the same thing. If this is the case, can we label alcoholic beverages "Mood Enhancement Formula" as well? It comes down to the same issue, and alcohol is not legal to purchase using the EBT cards.

This is just one of many loopholes in the system that allow people to exploit the money that should be used for essentials. If those using EBT cards or food stamps need a beverage, is not water or juices more appropriate to their needs, not something that is essentially a drug? Just because the FDA has yet to evaluate these products and label them as drugs does not mean that they aren't. They can be just as harmful when used wrong, like any other drug.

I've heard the arguement that things like this should be allowed for purchase as an occasional treat, but IMO, that's just rationalizing the abuse of the system.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Why not focus on something important? Like corporatism perhaps?

And bringing back jobs so all you poor Americans can stop worrying about the evil, almost non existent welfare system that the United States has?

Making low socioeconomic families feel ashamed and humiliated seems like a national sport for many in America. Imagine being a child in one of those families. Having to live with the horrible stigma that america pins on these needy people.

Corporatists are abusing more than the poor welfare recipients could ever hope to combined.

edit on 25-6-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

edit- I guess you do touch on corporatism a little.

The cheats can be screened out without causing needy families to feel shame.
edit on 25-6-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
There are only specific energy drinks that can be purchased with ebt. Redbull is one of them. It is based on whether or not they are labeled as a 'supplement' or 'nutrition'. Basically, it comes down to whether or not the company will comply with the FDA.

I wonder, do you have an issue with ebt being used to buy coffee?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Here's some interesting information from the companies website that clearly says that it "provides a substantial energy boost", so IMO, that makes it an energy drink like all the rest, even if it's not labeled as such.

I find it interesting as well how they seem so condone it being used with alcohol, when it's been said quite often elsewhere that there are dangers to mixing energy drinks and alcohol. That's pretty odd for a product that is so-called EBT Approved. I'm not really surprised by that, but just see it as more evidence of expoitation and corruption within the system.

drinkneurofuel.com...

Neuro Fuel provides a substantial energy boost while simultaneously decreasing anxiety allowing for clear thinking and decision making. This amazing aspect reduces the jittery effects of most energy drinks.

Neuro Fuel's effects mix very well with alcohol by actually potentiating the beneficial effects (euphoria) and decreasing the negative ones. Neuro Fuel makes for an amazing hangover cure as well as protecting the brain from the detrimental effects of alcohol and other drugs.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
Here's some interesting information from the companies website that clearly says that it "provides a substantial energy boost", so IMO, that makes it an energy drink like all the rest, even if it's not labeled as such.

I find it interesting as well how they seem so condone it being used with alcohol, when it's been said quite often elsewhere that there are dangers to mixing energy drinks and alcohol. That's pretty odd for a product that is so-called EBT Approved. I'm not really surprised by that, but just see it as more evidence of expoitation and corruption within the system.

drinkneurofuel.com...

Neuro Fuel provides a substantial energy boost while simultaneously decreasing anxiety allowing for clear thinking and decision making. This amazing aspect reduces the jittery effects of most energy drinks.

Neuro Fuel's effects mix very well with alcohol by actually potentiating the beneficial effects (euphoria) and decreasing the negative ones. Neuro Fuel makes for an amazing hangover cure as well as protecting the brain from the detrimental effects of alcohol and other drugs.

It doesnt matter if it is the same as other energy drinks "in your opinion". It matters how the FDA labels it. Everyone cried for regulation with foodstamps. Well, this is what you get.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Not coffee itself, but when used to purchase a $5 or more cup of coffee at Starbucks that should cost $1, then I take an issue with that.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Not coffee itself, but when used to purchase a $5 or more cup of coffee at Starbucks that should cost $1, then I take an issue with that.

So you're good with someone buying coffee grounds with it, but not energy drinks?

Also, why do you have issue if someone overpays for something with EBT? What difference does it make to you?
edit on 25-6-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

The best way to address corporatism and corruption is a single issue at a time.

The whole is too large to tackle in a single thread.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

It's more of an issue of cost analysis. Coffee is relatively cheap, and pretty much has the same or similar effect as the energy drinks (and yes, I do drink them upon occasion). It's the same as buying groud beef vs. the best steak on the market. The money used to feed one person a high end steak can feed an entire family for two days. The money of an energy drink can supply someone coffee for days, or even weeks depending on consumption.

There are only specific energy drinks that can be purchased with ebt. Redbull is one of them. It is based on whether or not they are labeled as a 'supplement' or 'nutrition'. Basically, it comes down to whether or not the company will comply with the FDA.

That's my whole point...it's a trick of labeling.

Also, why do you have issue if someone overpays for something with EBT? What difference does it make to you?

Should be simple to understand...because I help supply that money, as does every other tax payer.
edit on 25-6-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

I wonder, do you have an issue with ebt being used to buy coffee?

Yep, you can also buy the Green and Blue Monsters but not the Monstor Rehabs.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

It's more of an issue of cost analysis. Coffee is relatively cheap, and pretty much has the same or similar effect as the energy drinks (and yes, I do drink them upon occasion). It's the same as buying groud beef vs. the best steak on the market. The money used to feed one person a high end steak can feed an entire family for two days. The money of an energy drink can supply someone coffee for days, or even weeks depending on consumption.

I have a couple of counter points here.

The person on EBT has a set amount to spend each month. Doesnt matter what they spend it on. The idea that if they spent less, more people would get fed is asinine.

also,

There are people, like me, who cannot drink coffee. I have a stomach condition that will not allow it.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

That's my whole point...it's a trick of labeling.

Should be simple to understand...because I help supply that money, as does every other tax payer.

1)No, its a matter of ingredients. At least learn what you are talking about here.

2)And? Do you think you will stop paying if people spend on starbucks instead of folgiers? As I said before, the amount each person gets is set. It doesnt change depending on what they buy.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The way things are going against common wisdom - it would not surprise me in the least that McDonalds Lobbies Congress to allow them to accept EBT - and why not ? -- if they are to lazy to want to work then why ask them to cook - while they are there how about demanding they fill out a application for employment every time they use their EBT card.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1BornPatriot
The way things are going against common wisdom - it would not surprise me in the least that McDonalds Lobbies Congress to allow them to accept EBT - and why not ? -- if they are to lazy to want to work then why ask them to cook - while they are there how about demanding they fill out a application for employment every time they use their EBT card.

ahhh yes, cuz anyone having hard times must be lazy and not want to work.

Can always count on responses like this in these threads.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

The person on EBT has a set amount to spend each month. Doesnt matter what they spend it on. The idea that if they spent less, more people would get fed is asinine.

It's not an issue of spending less, but of getting more for your money. Instead of wasting the extra money, why not buy more essential food for the tough times ahead? This is where one of the problems in the system gets abuse ( IMO ). If I was using EBT, I would not think of purchasing such items for myself or my children when I could buy twice the amount of food and beverages for family. When I see people in line at the store and the people in front of my are buying bread and milk with their last dollar, and the people behind buying a case of energy drinks, it only highlight the issues.

1)No, its a matter of ingredients. At least learn what you are talking about here.

I don't think that's entirely accurate. I see the same ingredients in EBT Approved drinks and non-EBT Approved drinks.

ahhh yes, cuz anyone having hard times must be lazy and not want to work.

Let me state, that is not a belief that I hold, nor is it the truth. Times are just hard these days, and it's hard for nearly EVERYONE to get by. Some people just need more help than others.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

It's not an issue of spending less, but of getting more for your money. Instead of wasting the extra money, why not buy more essential food for the tough times ahead? This is where one of the problems in the system gets abuse ( IMO ). If I was using EBT, I would not think of purchasing such items for myself or my children when I could buy twice the amount of food and beverages for family. When I see people in line at the store and the people in front of my are buying bread and milk with their last dollar, and the people behind buying a case of energy drinks, it only highlight the issues.

So your problem comes down to wanting to be able to dictate what is right for a person do buy? Or is it that you think all situations are the same, and therefore, each person has children to buy for, etc? I truly dont get where your issue is here.

It kind of sounds to me like you want people on ebt to only be able to buy the cheapest things....

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I don't think that's entirely accurate. I see the same ingredients in EBT Approved drinks and non-EBT Approved drinks.

You can not think thats accurate, but it is. Redbull removed certain ingredients specifically to shed the "supplement" label. Its all about whats in it.

Again, you all cried for FDA regulation over what could be purchased with food stamps. Now you have got it. And not youve got an issue with that too.

Really, this should be in the "RANTS" section of ATS. There is no fact here. You havent even bothered to research the subject you are crying foul on. You simply saw something you dont like, and are ranting about it.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Ok...think of it this way. We as taxpayers are giving this money to people to help them in life. If someone ask you for $20 to purchase food for them and their family, and then you find out that they only bought beer, what would your reaction be?

Really, this should be in the "RANTS" section of ATS. There is no fact here. You havent even bothered to research the subject you are crying foul on. You simply saw something you dont like, and are ranting about it.

Then the mods can move it if they feel the need to. That's their job. Yes, I saw something I didn't like, nor agree with, and I'm sharing it here in an attempt to learn and understand the reasonings behind it with fellow ATS members such as yourself. If an attempt at educating myself and others on subjects such as this is a rant, so be it.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Ok...think of it this way. We as taxpayers are giving this money to people to help them in life. If someone ask you for $20 to purchase food for them and their family, and then you find out that they only bought beer, what would your reaction be?

My reaction would be the same. They got the 20 bucks. Im not giving them more or less than that. What they spend it on is up to them, and if they choose beer over food, well, theyll be hungry tonight.

And lets be fair here, comparing energy drinks to booze is apples to donuts. There is no correlation.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

My reaction would be the same. They got the 20 bucks. Im not giving them more or less than that.

Again...that's my point. YOU ARE.

You're going to be giving them another $20 next month to do the exact same thing.

And lets be fair here, comparing energy drinks to booze is apples to donuts. There is no correlation.

Actually, there is correlation...they are both drugs...as is coffee. Just because the FDA is corrupt and swayed to the power of lobbiest doesn't change that all of them are clearly drugs.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join