It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

EBT Card Abuse and Energy Drinks

page: 2
3
<< 1   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
reply to post by captaintyinknots
 



My reaction would be the same. They got the 20 bucks. Im not giving them more or less than that.


Again...that's my point. YOU ARE.

You're going to be giving them another $20 next month to do the exact same thing.


you are missing the point completely. Ill spell it out:
1)comparing ANYTHING purchased on ebt to booze is deceitful at best.
2)They are getting the same amount on ebt each month, whether or not they spend it on energy drinks and steaks or coffee and ground meat.
3)That money is not going anywhere but to that person, no matter what they spend it on.


Your comparison to giving someone 20 bucks is very weak.




posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye


Actually, there is correlation...they are both drugs...as is coffee. Just because the FDA is corrupt and swayed to the power of lobbiest doesn't change that all of them are clearly drugs.
edit on 25-6-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)




Going way out there now.

Yes they are all drugs. No they are not similar in almost any sense, and furthermore, that specific correlation has NOTHING to do with the topic at hand.



posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots
 


Ok...Let me ask you one simple question.

Do you feel that it is irresponsible for someone to use an EBT card to purchase items not needed for the immediate survival of those the card is intended to help support?

If you don't feel it's irresponsible...we just have a difference of opinion on what the system is suppose to be doing for those people.



posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
reply to post by captaintyinknots
 


Ok...Let me ask you one simple question.

Do you feel that it is irresponsible for someone to use an EBT card to purchase items not needed for the immediate survival of those the card is intended to help support?

If you don't feel it's irresponsible...we just have a difference of opinion on what the system is suppose to be doing for those people.


No I dont feel that it is irresponsible. If, say, they are selling the food or funds, then yes, thats a problem. But frankly, so say that they could only buy what is necessary for immediate survival is selfish and arrogant.

They shouldnt be able to buy ranch dresing? Seasonings for meat? Butter? Oil? Basically ANYTHING? Come on now.



posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Here's my issue with it, and I reckon it could be argued against with other ebt approved foods providing the same environment for this problem, but when families are already having trouble coming up with enough money for food, bills, rent, etc.

Is it really a good idea to load up on energy drinks that are full of sugar and stimulants that further put their health in a predisposition for diabetes and heart disease, making it even harder to afford essentials due to medical treatment?



posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots
 


I still see all of those thngs you listed as items used for cooking essential foods. How is it an energy drink an essential food item?...and don't say they contain vitamins, because vitamins ARE found in food too you know.

I think we just see different purposes for the system. You see it as a system for people to purchase whatever they want...I see it as a system for people to purchase what they NEED...and there's no way to convince me that anyone NEEDS an energy drink (even if they can't drink coffee as you can't).
edit on 25-6-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Gumerk
 


An excellent point, but as you clearly stated can be an issue with many approved items (such as coffee). I think that your comment does illustrate that concern over the medical issues of approved items can be an issue for the system, and probably not something easily addressed. For example, many people have food alergies and cannot eat specific foods, but you can't remove them from the list on that basis alone.



posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
reply to post by captaintyinknots
 


I still see all of those thngs you listed as items used for cooking essential foods. How is it an energy drink an essential food item?...and don't say they contain vitamins, because vitamins ARE found in food too you know.

I think we just see different purposes for the system. You see it as a system for people to purchase whatever they want...I see it as a system for people to purchase what they NEED...and there's no way to convince me that anyone NEEDS an energy drink (even if they can't drink coffee as you can't).
edit on 25-6-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)


None of the things i listed are "essential food items". You dont NEED mayonaise. You dont NEED olive oil. You dont NEED basil. You dont NEED mac & cheese.

I dont think people should be able to buy what they want. But as Ive stated twice already: People screamed, yelled and cried about regulations on food stamp purchases. They got what they wanted, in labeling. Now you all want to scream and cry about that. The regulations were put into place because of people exactly like you. Never forget that.

Finally, while no one 'needs' caffeine, most americans use it in their daily life. Moreso than most eat veggies.



posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gumerk
Here's my issue with it, and I reckon it could be argued against with other ebt approved foods providing the same environment for this problem, but when families are already having trouble coming up with enough money for food, bills, rent, etc.

Is it really a good idea to load up on energy drinks that are full of sugar and stimulants that further put their health in a predisposition for diabetes and heart disease, making it even harder to afford essentials due to medical treatment?


Well, as you said, the same argument could be made for many foods. ANY processed food, for example.



new topics

top topics



 
3
<< 1   >>

log in

join