It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mind controlling parasites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
blogs.scientificamerican.com...

i wonder if there are parasites that can control the human brain. zombies (dun dun duuun) dark and ominious

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

Yes there are, one called Candida LOVES to live close to the places where sugar is used in the body, Guess what your brain's Favorite food is? SUGAR!

This is why some parasites that love sugar end up changing the brain. It will actually make you WANT sugar to feed it. EVERY alcoholic has Candida...maybe that is why they can't stop - Alcohol is like PURE sugar. Candida also eats the carbs you consume and then turns it into alcohol as a byproduct so...even if you're not drinking, your liver is like an alcoholic's. And you have a hangover without even touching an alcoholic drink. All I have to do is eat a dessert with sugar in it and I will have a hangover, since I have systemic Candida. Nasty stuff. So the answer is YES!

-and yes, sugar does get me drunk if I eat enough, it will inebriate me for days at a time. I don't feel drunk, just feel like I'm getting sick for a couple days. Feeling woozy for three days SUCKS. Especially when you don't drink and don't want to feel woozy.

Most parasites will effect your functions to give it the best possible environment to proliferate till they use you all up or something gets rid of them. Also...humans are all so up on keeping their pets wormed. Funny thing is, IF your pet had them, there is a HIGH chance they passed them to you. Humans are so silly, we think we're immune. When was the last time YOUR doctor talked to YOU about parasites of any kind? MY question is this, why is it SO easy to get medicine to treat parasites in our pets but when it comes to treating it in humans, it's like pulling teeth to get proper help? If you think long enough about it, the answer to that question will become clearer without anyone having to tell you.
edit on 20-6-2012 by Opportunia because: added clarification

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Do you have any opionion on the idea, other than a passing whim to vaguely question the possibility?

Anything that can be thought of can be possible in some capacity - even if the existence is only possible in a fictional writing or movie about the subject.

I do not see why there couldn't exist a potential for such a parasite to exist. Evolution could bring about such a life form.

Maybe nature will find that human beings are no longer needed, or they have become a detriment to Earth and it's future. Nature may choose to engineer a parasite that is capable of controlling individual minds, as a way to gain more control over the entire species.

This type of parasite may also be a possibility in a less than natural form.

I am sure the ruling elite of Earth would find much use in a mind controlling parasite.

Until recent times, entertaining the idea of engineered parasites, designed specifically to control the population, was a waste of time.

This may no longer be the case, as with the introduction of nano technology and the ever increasing power and possibility offered by the rapid advancement of this incredible technological breakthrough we are brought ever closer to producing artificial parasites designed to do many things, such as what you have questioned - if it is not already beeing done.

So maybe your question offers and answer that is inevitable, considering the 2 driving motivators that could be responsible for producing such a parasite - either natural evolution or scientific, technological advancement may be responsible for the parasite, if ever it does become a tangible part of our reality.
edit on 20-6-2012 by esteay812 because: tyops

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Opportunia

Shows what I know!! haha, anyway... I am slapping myself, because a member here on ATS introduced me to Candida's recently... oddly enough, through the fictional name I gave a country in a light-hearted short story I recently authored...

Click here to see Sparky63's original post and link about Candida's in a previous thread, titled 'Breaking News from CandyLand!!!'

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

i know that there are mind effecting parasites, and i think that if evolution continues one day there will be a mind controlling parasites, if there is not a undiscovered one or a government classified version already , yes, but the odds of a parasite actually turning someone into classic flesh eating zombie is pretty low although entertaining

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Very good subject!

I agree it is very possible humans have mind/body altering parasites. I sometimes wonder what behavior disturbances would be causes by such parasites.

Parasites thrive by reproducing. They have many tricks through billions of years of natural genetics.

Possibilities.

Social anxiety disorder.. Parasites way of staying away from individuals that may have antibodies.

Does not bathe disorder.. Parasites way of not getting washed off the skin.

Obesity disorder.. Parasites thrive on a very obese individual.

Aggression disorder.. Parasite thrives on adrenalin rushes .

Falling in love disorder... Could a parasite be present that causes animals to mate in order to multiply itself?

Bulimia, could some parasites not thrive in a nutrient rich situation?

Possibilities are massive!

What could an unknown parasite be making us do right now?

To the OP the alcohol parasite does make a lot of sense. I wonder if anti-parasitic drugs have quelled sugar intake of individuals?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ManOfHart

that's deep, a parasite that takes advantage of our ability to "fall in love" lol

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

There was a discussion between Daneil dennett and Richard dawkins where tehy discussed the uses of MEME's and their spread in compareison to a virus.

ill link it for you

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Yes, possibly toxoplasmosis Gondii affects the brain and thought processes. This parasite may be linked to some mental illnesses like OCD and schizophrenia but in my reading that still seems speculative and not proven. Most official sites don't list mental illness among the symptoms. No mention of a potential role in future Zombie Apocalypses, either. Sorry.

top topics

join