It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Western Society Deliberately Distracting Us From.....Something?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

This is an idea I’ve been toying with for the past several days. I’m hoping some of the brighter minds on ATS can help me either further the thinking or completely toss it to the side.

My thoughts? I believe Western society and culture deliberately distract us from….something.

Think of the average day in a Western society. You wake up, eat breakfast while watching the TV, and choose what to wear, get ready, and head to work or school. There you spend your day and are probably distracted by emails, texting, phone calls, or time spent on ATS. Afterwards, its home for more mindless entertainment or distractions from your Nintendo or computer before heading into bed.

Here in America we have countless meaningless fluff to distract us. Movies, television, electronics, computers, and of course the dire news channels constantly touting political nonsense for our viewing pleasure. There are several more examples but I think you get the point.

The question that bothers me is….are these items simply someone’s clever way of suckering us out of our money….or are we being deliberately distracted from something else?

I firmly believe the average American is distracted. The question is…what are we missing? Is it deliberate?

I once took part in a “media fast.” For one week there was no television, no radio, no music, no computers, no magazines or newspaper (you were allowed to watch thirty minutes of news to keep up with events). Before the fast, I watched the television religiously, had to have noise in the background whenever I did anything else, etc. That was a tough week but when it was over…..I found myself actually hating the television and the radio. I now go out of my way to avoid both. I quit listening to the news (my husband is a TV addict and fills me in on important info) and I’ve curtailed my time spent online. Now I much prefer to read a book (still a distraction) or to spend my time in solitude and quiet, just thinking.

So, my question to you, ATS, is simple. Do you believe TPTB are deliberately distracting the populace? If so…why? So that they can pass legislature that the distracted masses won’t notice? Or is it something deeper than that? A more basic and fundamental truth that these distractions are masking?

I look forward to your answers; hopefully they will help coalesce my own. Thanks, ATS!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I believe they are. And to answer your question, I believe it is something deeper. One major key for them is to keep the fear alive and growing.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by luminosity

I believe they are. And to answer your question, I believe it is something deeper. One major key for them is to keep the fear alive and growing.

Any ideas what it might be? Enlightenment? The knowledge that aliens exist? The source of untold power and glory (but in limited quantities?) God? No God?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
hi op
to sum it up i think...
they know we are awakening
they know the power of the human mind is absolute power
imagine millions of us awakeners
the human mind to them is bloody scary
were not animals nor ever have been
cheers op
dave

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I think the key point with a "media-fast" should be NOT watching the news... It's basically a summary of all the distractions isn't it?

What are they distracting us from? I think the answer is LIFE.

peace

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by j-man

I think the key point with a "media-fast" should be NOT watching the news... It's basically a summary of all the distractions isn't it?

What are they distracting us from? I think the answer is LIFE.

peace

Yes, this makes sense to me. Its like those folks on vacation who spend the entire time behind a camera, yet don't actually experience the place where they are.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
The only thing I come up with fast that ''there where giants in those days'''.

Those giants got destroyed since they became corrupted and where destroying humanity, causing big evil in this world.
So perhaps, we today got a new kind of giants?

With that I mean, those gianst now are for example banks/big coporations/powers that have big money and they are afraid and money is like our god which we worship. Just see how people with allot of money can do as they wish, and people without are seen as something ''less''.
And our leaders/presidents are just walking men serving those powers.

Big sport evenements are bread for the people and being used for political means etc.

Nothing is free anymore, parking your car in the city for example.. I could say a child is free but hey, you must register her/him and pay for it even!

''And there we saw the giant: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.''

But yea we (allot) have become walking zombies not realising.
edit on 20-6-2012 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
It is called bread and circuses. The good news is that it has not been practiced since Rome died. The bad news is Rome never died.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by j-man

... I think the answer is LIFE.

I totally agree , they want us to hide away in our dens of debt doing things like , liking irrelevant comments from faceless people, eating fast food and living fast lives in our soul crunching jobs , squeezing us for every last cent giving us visions of how to live our lives and what objects we have to have.

Telling us non-existent threats are over seas and to protect you they need you to stand in line having yourself groped by some goon or on a cctv camera some place getting recorded..to protect you they make you a prisoner in your home taking.. your freedoms away one by one with laws and rules we really have no say in

Deciding what to teach us from the start ..what good, whats bad.. all for their own gain....

you get the idea ;-)

we are not free ..... and they hide it from us every day

just ask howard beale from Network ...

Howard Beale: I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth, banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter. Punks are running wild in the street and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it. We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat, and we sit watching our TV's while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be. We know things are bad - worse than bad. They're crazy. It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out anymore. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, 'Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone.' Well, I'm not gonna leave you alone. I want you to get mad! I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot - I don't want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you've got to get mad. You've got to say, 'I'm a HUMAN BEING, God damn it! My life has VALUE!' So I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window. Open it, and stick your head out, and yell, 'I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!' I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!... You've got to say, 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: "I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"

Duke

edit on 20-6-2012 by DukeEligos because: edit spelling

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Is Western Society Deliberately Distracting Us From.....Something?,

Yeah,
OURSELVES!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
i'm going with j-man on this one
all those shows
all that noise and product...
that clock that won't ever slow down
it is to keep us distracted while we feed the giant machine

the sad part is you cannot opt out. the machine cannot be stopped.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Of course they are distracting us from something:

The Truth

How can they keep a steady revenue stream if the payers know the truth?
How can they keep the mindless distraction going if the viewers knew why?

The answer is within the question my friend.
The truth is, we fell for their scheme...their "lifestyle".

Fortunately, for us here on ATS, the truth is all around (and one click away...).
We have many threads here that explain who is the culprit and why they are doing it.

Just search.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by decepticonLaura

I don't see anyone putting a gun to your head.

There is nothing forcing you or anyone to watch tv, or to eat fast food.

In fact, there are millions of people who are completely free of such things, which makes it very difficult for me to believe there is a deliberate attempt at some sort of distraction.

Distraction from what anyway?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The self-appointed sheperds are frightened that more and more sheep in their flock might get in touch with the nature, spend some time in meditation, further their spiritual boundaries and become acquainted with their own soul.
And become aware that their home is far larger than a small yard around a hut and the grass is free and their wool's real purpose is to keep them warm, not to be cut away by the man with the nasty buzzing thingy.
Best things in life are free.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Overfed, distracted, poisoned, mindless sheep people don't build guillotines.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I disagree that the machine can't ever be stopped because you can see the machine starting to mis-fire on a daily basis more and more everyday as people start to wake up. Once people realize that they don't need the newest $150 pair of Nike slave made shoes we will see even more change. The problem is that change on this scale takes time and education to defeat the status quo. It may take generations (if we have that long) for change to happen but thast is where you and me come in. If you teach your children and people around you about the issues at hand at some point more people will think one way versus the other plus the vast knowledge of the net is a great advantage.

The larger question is will we get it fixed before it is too late.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
First this is not just a “Western Society” cultural facet, Eastern cultures also have forms of media and entertainment and actually have been around longer.

My question is this, do any societies or cultures seem that much better off without so called distractions? Can you think of any other cultures other than primitive cultures which are trying to survive in hostile environments and do not have time for entertainment that do not have this influence?

The only culture I can think of that does not have distractions or the fight for survival is Buddhist monks, which is fine and dandy for them but most people will not find this a fulfilling lifestyle (not that a western media drenched on is either).

edit on 20-6-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by knowledgedesired

I disagree that the machine can't ever be stopped because you can see the machine starting to mis-fire on a daily basis more and more everyday as people start to wake up. Once people realize that they don't need the newest $150 pair of Nike slave made shoes we will see even more change. The problem is that change on this scale takes time and education to defeat the status quo. It may take generations (if we have that long) for change to happen but thast is where you and me come in. If you teach your children and people around you about the issues at hand at some point more people will think one way versus the other plus the vast knowledge of the net is a great advantage.

The larger question is will we get it fixed before it is too late.

The "machine" intends to reveal the lower echelons of itself and sacrifice those. The superficial incompetence and greed is for our viewing pleasure and does not represent reality. You think that you are awake because you can see the machine, but it is the machine that woke you up through its army of gatekeepers. It wants you to witness the sacrifice.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I understand your point about all the distractions we partake in on a daily basis but I don't consider it some vast conspiracy. I think it's simply a result of cultural change resulting from increased technology and prosperity. Even most of the poorest among us in America have a TV and radio.  

If there is some conspiracy then you must ask yourself why you haven't uncovered it now that you live a distraction free life? 

There is something to be said about living a "simple life" free from distractions. When I've gone without in the past I found myself more focused on family and friends as well as my own spirituality; that's a good thing IMO. 

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

It is all very simple. They are trying to obfuscate the Master/Servant relationship.

I recommend this book for insight and clarification:

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join