It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something is wrong with religious thinking

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloudyday

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

"Hey, we're very imperfect,.. but that's okay, we serve a perfect Christ." ----> Christians

I was remembering yesterday that as a child I used worry that I might be the anti-Christ. But in fact nobody really serves Christ, so we are all the anti-Christ. Even the do-gooders are only serving their own self-righteousness.

Ante in the Greek means "in place of". It doesn't mean "opposite of/against". The antechristos will be a fake Christ. A false messiah that will deceive the world into thinking he is god in the flesh and their redeemer.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called a Religion." -- Robert Pirsig

See, I've told people molecules-to-man evolution was a religion and they deny it every time, thanks for the quote I will be using that from now on.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by onecraftydude

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

"Hey, we're very imperfect,.. but that's okay, we serve a perfect Christ." ----> Christians

This is what I mean by not accepting any responsibility for their actions. Any time someone calls them out they say it's their God that is perfect and they are all imperfect so they are not to be held accountable for anything.

Blah blah blah God blah blah blah Jesus blah blah blah faggots blah blah blah whores blah blah blah God's 10% blah blah blah God's crystal cathedral blah blah blah repent now and join our group or go straight to Hell fire damnation eternal blah blah blah!

I think I will pass!

I never said that. Personal responsibility is a hallmark of maturity and personal integrity. Conduct certainly matters. My actual point was, we are not perfect, and we never called to be perfect. Only yielded to a perfect Christ.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

There is no doubt that the Devil is alive and well. Remove the "D" from Devil and what do you get? Devil - "D" = Evil. The Devil is behind all of these latest zombie attacks and cannibalism. Evil is a real entity. For those who do not acknowledge this does not mean it's not real. Pretending Gravity does not exist does not mean you won't fall off a bridge. The Devil is real and he exists.

Fear is a great motivator. If the sign causes one person to repent of her sins and ask forgiveness and be born again, then it was worth it: another soul saved. If the sign frightens children into being better people and possibly convertin to Christianity, then more souls saved. If the sign inspires evil people to reconsider their ultimate destination, and causes them to try going to church: so much the better.

The Devil is real and out to get anyone, even those who don't belive the Devil exists. In the classic movie, "The Usual Suspects," a great quote from Kaiser Sossee (sp?) is "The greatest trick the Devil pulled-off was to convince the world that he didn't exist." It is a shame the sign offends. The sign is there to remind us that the Devil is real and Evil exists. If only there could be more signs... Yes, I agree, Hope and Love should be enough motivation, but apparently the Devil is winning a battle because Evil seems more widespread than ever. Unfortunately, Fear motivates people in a powerful way. But, the Fear this sign might inspire leads a person to the church... a path to Love, Hope and Forgiveness.

"The greatest trick the Devil pulled-off was to convince the world that he didn't exist."

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I AGREE!!! BURN THAT SIGN TO THE GROUND!!!! Say the devil made you do it! I live in an area where about 15-20 years ago the area was over polluted with deffective human genectics walking around spreading their iffectious IQ depletion bacteria! AKA RED NECKS!!! FORCING THE CRAP DOWN MY THROAT!! I feel that if a person is drawn to the idea of CHRIST or GOD, then it should reflect upon others that are trying to acheive the best for themselves and their families. However when they come a'knocking at your door with their BIBLE GEAR! ready to force it down your throat, then it defeats the purpose of why people go in search for a higher consciousness.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

You ever think "what if they are right"?...everyone acts as if that sign said go to church cause Jesus loves you it would work so much better.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by GhostLancer

Let me say that my following questions are not intended to offend you, nor anyone else, but just general questions that I ask anyone when discussing these topics.

If you feel that the Devil is real, what evidence is there that he exist? The existence of evil does not prove the existence, nor does scripture. If the evidence for the existence of the Devil was presented in a court of law, what do you honestly feel would be the outcome of the decision of a judge and jury? IMO, there could be no other outcome than he does not exist when looking at the actual evidence presented without using religious belief to bias the information.

Evil exist in the world, and that is something that cannot be denied, but is evil just a part of the balance of the universe, and a part of human existence without having to have home with an entity some like to call the Devil, Satan, or Lucifer? I feel that the creation of the Devil is simply how we humans have tried to place blame on the misdeeds of humanity, without accepting that it is a part of humanity.

Is the Devil to blame for the violence that takes place within the animal kingdom?...no, it's a part of how the animal kingdom works, and we are animals as well.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

See, I've told people molecules-to-man evolution was a religion and they deny it every time

I'm going to have to disagree with you here (...so I guess I'm denying it...
...) I don't see "molecules-to-man" as a religion. Religion is more a grouping of spiritual ideas focused for the direction of a GROUP of people. Belief in evolution does not require that others are a part of your beliefs. IMO, A Faith and Religion or different things. You can have FAITH in Christ, but not belong to a RELIGION, nor be a CHRISTIAN. Many people of faith believe in Jesus, and well as other spiritual leaders, but don't claim home to the religion itself. We have a similar case with evolution. One can believe that evolution was the route that created what we see in the world today, but not feel the need to think that it just happened. Evolution can be a part of a faith that includes the belief in God, and doesn't require a group of other people that believe in the same to follow and practice their faith as a religion does.

It really does not matter how the world came to be, or who created it. We are simply here, and must make the best of it. For some, religion is part of their world, for others, it is not. We must all find respect and love for each other, and the choices they make, and the beliefs the have. This is where the one truth of love comes in to play. We can disagree about many things, but always show love for the one you disagree with.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was proving that He didn't exsist" Movie-Usual Suspects

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
reply to post by GhostLancer

If you feel that the Devil is real, what evidence is there that he exist? The existence of evil does not prove the existence, nor does scripture. If the evidence for the existence of the Devil was presented in a court of law, what do you honestly feel would be the outcome of the decision of a judge and jury? IMO, there could be no other outcome than he does not exist when looking at the actual evidence presented without using religious belief to bias the information.

Evil exist in the world, and that is something that cannot be denied, but is evil just a part of the balance of the universe, and a part of human existence without having to have home with an entity some like to call the Devil, Satan, or Lucifer? I feel that the creation of the Devil is simply how we humans have tried to place blame on the misdeeds of humanity, without accepting that it is a part of humanity.

Is the Devil to blame for the violence that takes place within the animal kingdom?...no, it's a part of how the animal kingdom works, and we are animals as well.

Very good question, and very fair. You use the court-of-law setting to frame this discussion, which is also very fair. Working within that framework, I would offer that first hand accounts and eyewitness testimony should suffice since it has more than served courts-of-law.

Over the centuries, people have been saying, "The Devil made me do it" in explanation for having committed not just simple murder, but outright atrocious and demonic-level killings that go well beyond the norm of killing/eating that happens in the animal world. Animals kill to eat, to survive. When some people kill for neither of those reasons, nor "human-based" reasons (for money, for revenge, during war, etc.), and elevate it to grander evil, it would seem that it is not natural. When something is not natural, like evil, it is considered beyond natural... or rather supernatural. Many people who have committed these kinds of demonic crimes have said that the Devil made them do it.

Next, there have been reported sightings of "the Devil" over the last couple thousand years. Sure, these accounts could be fictional, but perhaps some of them aren't. Even the Devil in the guise of "death" (black cloak, skull faced) has been seen. During the Black Plague/Death era, figures clad in black with skull faces (some hooded, no faces) were reported frequenting towns just before the plague hit. There is at least one painting depicting these Devils/Demons.

Some people say that when you attribute faith to an idea or a mythical being, real energy actually goes towards the real manifestation of that idea/being. I.e., the belief in God by enough people might actually create and/or empower God. The same could be true for the Devil (or Santa Claus or Cthulu). However, there aren't many (if any) cults devoted to Santa Claus or Cthulu; there ARE cults devoted to Satan, and they actively worship the Devil, and some of them might have even conducted sacrifices. Therefore, if the theory concerning sending energy towards Satan/Devil is true, then these people could be empowering and actually manifesting the existence of Satan/Devil.

Many people say that Evil is unnatural. It is not natural for animals to behave in an "evil" manner. But, for some reason, humans have this capability. Some say that the existence of evil proves the existence of the focus of all evil: the Devil/Satan.

Well, that's about it. Sure, it's not solid, and it's speculation mainly. But... who can say... ...for people, from time to time, still use the explanation of... "The Devil made me do it."

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I'm not religious at all. I don't attend a church.

The sign means nothing. If I was driving down the road, I'd chuckle, as I did when I saw this thread. If I had children with me, I'd tell them that the devil is like the monster under your bed, harmless, and easily banished with a prayer or positive thinking.

I believe evil exists. One only has to watch the local news to understand how close it hits home. I believe negative entities may influence weaker willed people. There is a possibility of this. I don't think all paranormal experiences can be explained away as illness or misinterpretation.

I think that there is a world beyond this world in all probability. Thus, it would be better to err on the side of love and light. I'll go with God, Christ, and heavenly hosts. Stay here on hell if you so desire.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Dwelling inside any religion and not being brave enough to leap off the top of that ladder is no different than choosing to live forever in a 200 sq, Ft. home consisting of only a bathroom and a kitchen. Religions are ladders, not dwellings where one rearranges the same pictures on the walls for a lifetime.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join