It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I a racist?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
For the record I am a poor white male.

TPTB have all ways used race to divide us. More division equals more compartmentalization and compartmentalization equals more control. When I was growing up one of the most popular shows on Fox was Cops. A show witch depicts minority's and poor white people as brute savages. (why are all other races but whites considered minority? Where i live it does not seem that way) Crack heads, drug dealers, thugs and pimps getting dominated by the police. Most of them are black men. For a while, in the MAIN STREAM music industry all of the black artist are associated with violence and drugs. Artist such as 50cent, BIG L,NWA and 2pac. If you research the main stream music industry you will find that all of these artist are actors. Some of them are tricked into this play but most know whats going on. A thread was created a couple days ago about a web site called worldstarhiphop www.abovetopsecret.com...
Its as clear as crystal.

I went to a eclectic school, the school brought in people from all different races and classes on purpose. When I was going to school I felt that I equally got along with every one. Its been about 4 years since I graduated and have been void of human interaction for a while. Today I was out driving and I came across some black men and I could not help to fell scared and awkward as if I was supposed to act a certain way. I think they noticed and it pissed them off a bit. Now imagine your skin is black and most of the people you interact with are afraid of you and put on a show. What would you think? I would eventually except what those people think I am a violent person and become a violent person.

I understand skin has nothing to do with who the person is but it seems as if its smelted into my mind. I never really had any problems with this until now. I think its due to the fact that I have not had much human interaction over the past 4 years. Apart of me came out today that I never knew existed.
edit on 19-6-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
the problem is you're looking at a person as a black man, or a white man instead as a human being.

first stop using the terms black man, white man etc. you saw a bunch of people and you felt scared.

doesn't that sound ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
For the record I am a poor white male.

TPTB have all ways used race to divide us.

No, racist individuals use race to divide us. The kind of people who believe that blacks are lesser people than whites and asians because they generally perform badly in school, the kind of people who believe that governments have a legitimate right to discimminate and segregate people on the basis of race, the kind of people who ban people from barber shops because they're white, those folks are racists.

If you don't judge and individual by the colour of their skin or ethnicity, if you believe that we are human beings first and foremost, then you are not a racist.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Your fear is a deep down sense of inferiority to said black men.....The weak fear the strong and it also shows in nature.You sir are just experiencing your bodies natural mechanism of self preservation you are not racist.You perceive said men to be violent and a danger unconsciously due to media programming as you said.So as long as you stare at that idiot box so it will make you a idiot.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
the problem is you're looking at a person as a black man, or a white man instead as a human being.

first stop using the terms black man, white man etc. you saw a bunch of people and you felt scared.

doesn't that sound ridiculous.

Yes it does sound ridiculous. Their is no sound argument I can put up against this. Like I said we have all been trained to think this way. I know by legal definition I am not a racist but I do divide people into groups as if I was in high school. This is something we all need to work on. They want it this way for a reason, those that see should find the strength to change their conditioning.

Its a crazy world we live. We can see the brain washing but we cant seem to see it within our self.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
You are far from a racist. You should give yourself a break.

You could hardly find someone more progressive than I, but am I careful around groups of young black men? Do I lock my car doors when travelling through certain neighborhoods? Of course I do. There are realities we face, and though no one should allow those realities to sour his optimism or willingness to view each person as an individual, sometimes being smart means using the information available to make strategic choices.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

Artist such as BIG L,NWA and 2pac.

It isn't the 90's anymore. Big L is dead, 2 pac is dead, Eazy E is dead. "Gangsta rap" is mostly seen as corny nowadays. Most mainstream hip hop is not criminal themed at ALL. Go turn on the radio and take a listen (a few are but majority isn't).

I'm not saying there isn't negative stereotypical music out there but it is a lot less than in the past.

why are all other races but whites considered minority?

The term minority is all relative. But in the USA whites are the majority, so it makes sense in the national aspect.

Now imagine your skin is black and most of the people you interact with are afraid of you and put on a show. What would you think? I would eventually except what those people think I am a violent person and become a violent person.

I understand skin has nothing to do with who the person is but it seems as if its smelted into my mind.

I agree and it is sad.
I wish the human mind wasn't so impressionable.

I don't think you're racist, just prejudiced. Next time, just treat black people like you treat everyone else.

edit on 20-6-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Don't worry most people don't know how to act around strangers, it's perfectly normal to be walking by yourself and feel intimidated by any crowd of people blocking a walkway or whatever the situation.. Back in the day you could walk down the street worry free and people were pleasant, the digital age has screwed up human interaction altogether.. Are you saying if there was a bunch of white guys blocking the sidewalk you would wave hi and shake all their hands or something? If that's the case than yes you are a racist lol

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

Artist such as BIG L,NWA and 2pac.

It isn't the 90's anymore. Big L is dead, 2 pac is dead, Eazy E is dead. "Gangsta rap" is mostly seen as corny nowadays. Most mainstream hip hop is not criminal themed at ALL. Go turn on the radio and take a listen (a few are but majority isn't).

I'm not saying there isn't negative stereotypical music out there but it is a lot less than in the past.

why are all other races but whites considered minority?

The term minority is all relative. But in the USA whites are the majority, so it makes sense in the national aspect.

Now imagine your skin is black and most of the people you interact with are afraid of you and put on a show. What would you think? I would eventually except what those people think I am a violent person and become a violent person.

I understand skin has nothing to do with who the person is but it seems as if its smelted into my mind.

I agree and it is sad.
I wish the human mind wasn't so impressionable.
edit on 19-6-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

I have to disagree. The "gangster" way of life is still popular, its just evolved beyond color and culter. I was just using it as a example to show how they manipulate our perception. As long as drugs stay illegal the life style will continue. Beyond drugs its about cliqs that hold the same mentality in order to achieve something. Weather it be a image or dreams.

I LOVE HIP HOP!!!! WITH A PASSION!!! Its evolved poetry but I do not listen to the radio because I have never perceived it as true hip hop. I have not listened to the radio since lil wayne got big. Why? I understand that EVERY THING on the radio is played because their is some kind of manipulative motive behind it. So please link me to a rapper on the radio that is not rapping about money, party's or drugs.
edit on 20-6-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
You are probably a "racist" if your first instinct after reading this thread is to defend black people.

Most people, however, who would label you are racist are sadly mistaken liberals who preach that everyone-is-equal-even-when-they-are-not-as-intelligent-or-have-a-propensity-to-comit-more-crime.

Most of the properties of the people you list in your OP are not based on race, but based on culture. Culture being "the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group". The question arises if culture is then somehow tied to, or even based on race... and without a doubt it certainly seems to have it's roots in a particular ethnic group as a whole..

So, are you racist or culturalist?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

The gangsta way of life is still popular if you live in the ghetto but that doesn't have anything to do with hip hop. Gangsta rap documented the things that were already happening in the hood, it didn't create it.

I LOVE HIP HOP!!!! WITH A PASSION!!

Me too

I have never perceived it as true hip hop.

What is true hip hop?

So please link me to a rapper on the radio that is not rapping about money.

Is money supposed to be a negative thing? We do live in a mixed capitalist society.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by WhatAreThey

Ah, here we go, the token stormfronter with a norse God avatar

You are probably a "racist" if your first instinct after reading this thread is to defend black people.

God forbid people defend fellow humans! The horror.

Most people, however, who would label you are racist are sadly mistaken liberals who preach that everyone-is-equal-even-when-they-are-not-as-intelligent-or-have-a-propensity-to-comit-more-crime.

Yeah... because black people are magically born with a dumb and criminal gene

When people say equality, they mean equal rights, equal human value. Someone with a lower IQ as me, is no less of a human. This isn't a hard concept to understand.

edit on 20-6-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
To the question why all people can be minorities but whites....You gotta understand how the european American and this world love to use word play.Have you people ever looked up the word?A minority is a child and the european looks upon non-europeans as children.As in we are undeveloped humans with child minds hence we are minorities...you guys gotta understand this stuff or it makes you incompetent.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

The gangsta way of life is still popular if you live in the ghetto but that doesn't have anything to do with hip hop. Gangsta rap documented the things that were already happening in the hood, it didn't create it.

I LOVE HIP HOP!!!! WITH A PASSION!!

Me too

I have never perceived it as true hip hop.

What is true hip hop?

So please link me to a rapper on the radio that is not rapping about money.

Is money supposed to be a negative thing? We do live in a mixed capitalist society.

Hip-hop has had a HUGE influence on gang cutler.
"The gang way of life is popular if you live in the ghetto" Thats really the only place it has ever truly existed. I understand that if hip-hop was never born gangs would still exist but hip-hop does add to the fire.

What is true hip-hop? This question is purely opinion. BigL,NWA and 2pac may have been actors but they are true hip hop because they exposed something people wear to afraid to talk about. But artist like lil wayne, that rap purely for money, with a ignorant attitude that only brings down the image of "true hip hop". Obviously love's money more then hip-hop. My understanding of hip-hop is truth,knowledge and positivity in various different ways to reach a large audience. Hip-Hop has the most divers cutler out of all music genres, from murder rap to nerd core. But remember this is my own opinion.

Money it self is not a negative thing. When you love money more then you love your art is when it becomes a negative thing. Artist sell there own people out with brain washing music to make money. Making millions to broaden their image to reach more people. Its just repetitive brain washing jingles and their shows are occult rituals for the entity that got them in the position they are in.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Yeah... because black people are magically born with a dumb and criminal gene

You see, the thing is: I didn't mention anything about what you are saying. You are the one who has "jumped to defend the blacks".

Do you even understand WHY you did that... when I didn't even say anything about them?

When people say equality, they mean equal rights, equal human value. Someone with a lower IQ as me, is no less of a human. This isn't a hard concept to understand.

Has nothing to do with being less of a human. It has to do with qualifications to perform certain tasks... and in a lot of situations, someone with a lower IQ is certainly less apt at performing certain tasks. If you want to refer to capability, propensity, and drive as the measurement of a human, then you can do that as well.

.. or you could ignore those factors that make individuals great alltogether and just say everyone is equal.

BTW, my Avatar is Thor. Why do you associate that, and Norse Mythology with white power and stormfront?

Surely you can't be THAT idiotic. In any case, it looks like we are certainly not equals.
edit on 20-6-2012 by WhatAreThey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatAreThey

I do not like to use political category because (call me liberal) because people out side of those groups hold similar views. Equality can be looked at in many different ways. I look at it as every one having the same rights. Our society is far from equality, it seems rich people can get away with allot more.

Its really about perception. You can easily say that some one who has a high IQ is worth more then some one who has a low IQ but its much more complicated then that because their are more aspects to life then IQ or any one aspect.
What goals does society hold? Do we want technological advancement or do we want cultural advancement? A scientist may seem more worthy in a technological society and a artist may seem more worthy in a cultural society. But why only chose one aspect to base society off of when you can have a large mix.

Every one has a part to play no matter how stupid or smart you are. Who is going to build your house and your car? We need "dumb" people as much as we need "smart" people.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

BTW, my Avatar is Thor. Why do you associate that, and Norse Mythology with white power and stormfront?

Surely you can't be THAT idiotic. In any case, it looks like we are certainly not equals.

Who said any thing about your avatar, nordic.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
What's the best way to stop racism?

Stop participating in it.

There's only one race.

Human.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity

Who said any thing about your avatar, nordic.

If someone had at least AVERAGE reading comprehension, they would easily see that it was the person to whom I was replying.

Obviously not everyone is equal, eh?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I think that white people who attempt to tie crime to race are racist. I think that white people who call black people the n-word are racist.

Why am I so focused on "white"?

Because two of my friends with those views are white.

And they both deny being racist.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join