It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft unveils the "Surface" - potential iPad killer

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
It's taken years to develop this tablet. There have been many pretenders and tablets along the way to compete against Apple's iPad juggernaut but is this latest eye-opening tablet from Microsoft "the iPad killer?"

It has a 10.6" display, comes with Office built-in. Microsoft has also developed a cover that doubles as a keyboard with touchpad, allowing Surface to shift into PC mode. The surface cover is a full multitouch keyboard. A tablet that's a PC. A PC that's a tablet. Wow!!!

Microsoft's Surface

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Looks a nice piece of kit.
I wonder what the price will be though.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
meh... not interested.

it looks like every other ipad notebook kindle copy cat random thing.

i don't really like the idea of having a laptop, with Less power, and Less space, just to have it be all skinny and weak, and being able to touch the screen.

this, just like ipads and other overrated things, is going to cost 666 zillion dollars and made of pure evil...

its a waste of money, and its going to attract every single last type of person " OH LIKE ZOMG I WANT IT "

ill stick to my computer for now...

peace ^_^
edit on 19-6-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Im a tablet freak. This does not impress me.. Lol especially since it failed on the opening, ala win98.

Funny stuff that.

My 10inch android customized to my liking is ok... Who wants office on a tablet? Yeesh.

tablets are just fat web browsers, small video players and nominal mp3 players.

M$ -- if they can let you play any games on them, will still require the hardest hardware, the mouse and a keyboard.

Oh microsoft, you try and steal everything apple... and apple sucks..

long live open source!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
ASUS beat them to it.

I wouldn't buy a Microsoft or Apple tablet. I don't see anything about this tablet that I haven't seen before.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

Ah, but you are wrong. Unlike the ipad, the Surface will run as a full computer.

Remember, even with those other tablets out there from Amazon, Google, Kindle, they have not been able to compete with Apple. Een though Apple controls over 60% of the market share, Microsoft intends to take a huge bite out Apple's share (no pun intended).

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jaellma

Ah, but you are wrong. Unlike the ipad, the Surface will run as a full computer.

Remember, even with those other tablets out there from Amazon, Google, Kindle, they have not been able to compete with Apple. Een though Apple controls over 60% of the market share, Microsoft intends to take a huge bite out Apple's share (no pun intended).

hmmm really...? i didn't know that, thanks

well, i still don't like the shape of it, i would rather just have a laptop.

peace.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Nice tablet for sure.

I will definitely not be getting one. I've grown very tired of the entire tablet/smart phone market. Every time i see commercials for these devices i cannot help but think how people are getting screwed over with their payment plans and everything else.

I've been out of the cell phone game for a while now... my last phone was an HTC from about 4 years ago which has been out of service for 3 years... I use it as an MP3 player.

I will make an assumption here, i believe that Mac and all those companies probably have 2-3 upgraded generations of their products already packaged and ready to go in the warehouse. They put out a 'new' model every year and force people to think they 'need' this new device through brainwashing advertisements, which are mostly targeted at young teens.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I have never been a apple fan. Not sure if it is because apple freaks are so snooty and try to make you feel inferior for not having one of their overly proprietary products that force you to settle for less software titles at a higher price. Or it it just because they are so damn expensive and I see no point in paying way more money for something than I should have to. But with that said, I can buy a brand new laptop for around $400 or so and have twice the power, 50 times the space and I get a full keyboard with it. So why would I want a over grown phone that cant make phone calls? This tablet trend cracks me up. But it was only a matter of time before Microsoft Jumped into this market too.
edit on 19-6-2012 by TheTardis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeedawg
Nice tablet for sure.

I will definitely not be getting one. I've grown very tired of the entire tablet/smart phone market. Every time i see commercials for these devices i cannot help but think how people are getting screwed over with their payment plans and everything else.

I've been out of the cell phone game for a while now... my last phone was an HTC from about 4 years ago which has been out of service for 3 years... I use it as an MP3 player.

I will make an assumption here, i believe that Mac and all those companies probably have 2-3 upgraded generations of their products already packaged and ready to go in the warehouse. They put out a 'new' model every year and force people to think they 'need' this new device through brainwashing advertisements, which are mostly targeted at young teens.

you speak the truth brothah!

THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAaa

peace.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
When looking at the new macbook macbook pro (which is very thin as well, maybe as thing or even thinner?), it's not that much difference then?

Except of course the price but, my point is, this thing is inbetween a tablet and a laptop. Better if you want a laptop, just buy a fast one (with an ssd).
I'm just not sure a crossover/mix is a killer ipad.

Likely MS will fail.

edit on 19-6-2012 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheTardis
I have never been a apple fan. Not sure if it is because apple freaks are so snooty and try to make you feel inferior for not having one of their overly proprietary products that force you to settle for less software titles at a higher price. Or it it just because they are so damn expensive and I see no point in paying way more money for something that I should have to. But with that said, I can buy a brand new laptop for around $400 or so and have twice the power, 50 times the space and I get a full keyboard with it. So why would I want a over grown phone that cant make phone calls? This tablet trend cracks me up.

i totally agree with you so lalalaing hard, it feels so good to know that someone else feels exactly the way i do.

i knew someone that got an ipad, i asked them if it could make calls, and they said "no"

i started laughing, and crying at the same time, and never saw them again.

peace.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Seems like they like the way it looks better than the way it works - they didn't even show us what it can do just played with it ... bugger

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Jeedawg

I agree. Sometimes these so-called "upgrades" happen twice a year and each time the cost goes up. Pretty soon, these top of the line tablets will be over US$1000 but by that time our teen-agers will say they have to have it.

edit on 19-6-2012 by Jaellma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I think its great. I already have a asus eee slate ep121 and i want one of those, as long as it has a 4g connection via sim hard i'll be happy.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
This will compete as long as you can run Word and Excel on it.
The iPad is lacking as a true work tablet. But if the Surface can be used for work.
Then it has a chance.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jaellma

They haven't been able to compete?

Apple owns a large market share people most people are idiots. For 1/2 the price of an iPad you can get a device that is 3 times as powerful and is capable of doing 100 times more than the iPad.

They have most definitely been able to compete, and even overtake the iPad, easily, in terms of functionality.

The iPad has a large market share for the same reason Nike does - not because it's a superior product, but because it was brand loyalty. That might be great for Apple's shareholders but it's no good for the consumer.

www.asus.com...

As I said, Asus beat them to it. And Android is a full OS - even Java capable if you're smart enough.

Does the iPad natively play flash yet? lol.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Ahh, but will it run Crysis?

No?

Hmm.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by fourthmeal
Ahh, but will it run Crysis?

No?

Hmm.

Depends how low the resolution you want to play with no special effects. ahah.

However it can be used as another controller / utility for the upcoming xbox 720.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Being a Samsung tablet owner (using android), I think Microsoft are too late to the party.

Other companies have tried and failed.

HP and Blackberry to name two.

Regarding Android and it's usage, I can do everything that I could on my laptop and for longer without plugging into a plug socket of any form.

However the following can not be done :-
watching a dvd - no but then most films are in a different format anyway or supplied via netflix / lovefilm etc
Remote desktop to another computer - possibly but would you want to ?

So using a tablet will always be a bit of a trade off but there are benefits to.

Regarding Microsoft's tablet, the back stand is a very good idea but has already been done with the Archos tablets.

One other note to mention is that with windows 8 you cannot install a program from the desktop version on the tablet.
Its compiled for ARM processors so different architecture and the programs will need to be compiled for that.
Microsoft are only stating this in the small print.
So good luck thinking your going to have a fully functioning tablet that runs your desktop stuff.

For Microsoft to succeed it will have to make available lots of apps from the word go and not piss owners off with updates every Tuesday.

I certainly don't think it will be an Ipad killer.
Give it two years after launch and Microsoft will let it die a quiet death.
Zune anyone ?

The main sticking point is price.
Too expensive and it just will not sell.

Here in the UK I am expecting the usual numeric conversion of $ to £ (if it sells for $399 in the US it ends up costing £399 in the UK) so us brits will get ripped off again.
Were not that well off !

edit on 19/6/2012 by diddy1234 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join