It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women should not be allowed to own vehicles until they can learn to respect other peoples

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
You talk over and over about respect for others but you repeatedly word your anger in a way that generalizes women in a very disrespectful way, and use a derogatory term for women despite the courtesy and sympathy and understanding most of us are trying to extend to you. I understand a very specific type of female has gotten under your skin, but your terms, the way you have tossed your words around to elicit sexist comments toward all women shows you are in your own me - me bubble.

I don't know how many respectable ladies it's going to take expressing their heartfelt empathy and sympathy toward you to get you to see the light, but I hope you calm down and find some peace in your heart and stop adding your own share of ugliness to the world. I do believe you are a good decent person at heart, but my goodness the things you are saying...it's quite shocking, really.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain
You talk over and over about respect for others but you repeatedly word your anger in a way that generalizes women in a very disrespectful way

Its the laws of averages. Of course I don't believe EVERY woman acts like this but the majority of wealthy never lift a finger soccer moms do. In fact I would say very few women don't care about money and themselves as their first priority. Why do you think tanning booths and botox are so popular?

, and use a derogatory term for women despite the courtesy and sympathy and understanding most of us are trying to extend to you.

I appreciate the sympathy I really do. What derogatory statements have I made other than concluding a greater percentage of women don't care about cars and the two women involved in my incident don't care about anyone but themselves?

I understand a very specific type of female has gotten under your skin, but your terms, the way you have tossed your words around to elicit sexist comments toward all women shows you are in your own me - me bubble.

How do I show "me me me" attitude? Please use specifics.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I love beautiful cars - I have loved beautiful cars all my life. I love cars I can drive. The car in my avatar is my summer daily driver -- even in the wet. I have other nice cars. I don't have much time for people who obsess over their paint. I know different strokes for different folks. But cars need to be driven and those of us who drive would just as soon leave the posers in the garage.

You are obsessing way to much over a jeep. My Jeep is dented and scratched and is used like a jeep in the woods.

By the way the woman in the picture takes issue with what you say about women drivers.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
2011 Jeep? BOO-HOO!
Man, if it was a classic car... Okay get mad.
Oh your poor jeep

Look I feel for ya, Cuz I got a 72 Datsun 240z that got damaged way worse from a dog! So I know what its like.
When you pour Hours/Days/Years of your life assembling something and its disrepected right after its finished.
Yeah I think thats grounds for crying.
But a 2011 jeep? Comon' thats a bic lighter man! Use it up, and throw it away!
You didnt build it... You didnt bring it back from the dead and give it life!
So why are you getting upset? only thing you did was make a choice of what car you could afford to lease!
Then waste a bunch of clean drinking water to wash something that was ment to get dirty.

I know "Girls" that can drive darn good and maybe better then some "Guys" on the road.
So im going to side with the Gals in this thread who got offended in some way on this post
I like dogs and its not the dogs fault. Its about the owner and the way the dog was raised..
Same can be said about that woman who dinged your jeep, its not her, its the way she was raised... (Parents)
Maybe she thought the same thing I'm thinking "Meh, its just a jeep" LOL!
People take things for granted when they are handed down to them all your life.
People who dont have much and gain just a lil' more tend to repect more.
Because its "EARNED" Because you "WORK" for it and alot of females do just that.

Yeah Im ranting but... Girls R Awesome! And "$h*T Happens"
Sooo... Yeah N' Stuff.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Oh my, I'm sorry I don't know how to break it down for you, I really don't. I think we would just end up talking at each other than to each other. I'll try but I'm not very articulate so here is my feeble attempt.

I can point out the term "bimbo" but I can see where you would be baffled I find that inflammatory in the context of your post. I can only respectfully suggest you try and rethink this whole thread and imagine the culprits had been black youths doing something else rude that evokes stereotypes, like playing rap music too loud and keeping the neighbors up. And instead of just saying two self centered guys, you instead picked any term that is used in negative connotation with black male stereotypes. Just imagine some black ATS members still try to relate to you and commiserate with you anyway, but you still go on trotting out unrelated generalizations that seem true to you, but everyone else still can see as insulting to blacks.

Then put up a title to your rant that black guys should not be allowed to own stereos unless they learn to keep the volume down or something else that is bound to pull racially biased comments out of the woodwork. Watch the discussion degenerate from a discussion of selfish behavior and the original offense into a bunch of "yeah buddy, those blacks can't keep therir racket down and anecdotes about stereotypes.

And still the decent black people doggedly try to point out the universality of rudeness and self centeredness. But instead of acknowledging it, you come up with yet another stereotype of the entire race to throw back in their face, to justify your hatred and outrage of two people who just happen to be black and happen to fit a subset of behavior that careless people still ascribe to all black people, when it in fact could come from anybody.

I do apologize to black members for having to use such an example but I think, perhaps wrongly, that these days more of us can recognize and acknowledge racism where we might still be oblivious to sexism in an analogous situation.

Tanning booths and Botox? Really? Where I live I have never met a suburban mom who would try either. My sister in law used a tanning booth a couple of times in a misguided attempt to alleviate her eczema, but that hardly counts! Through my husband's job I've met some very wealthy wives and they are very normal. Yes, most of them are beautifully dressed, but very normal and down to earth. I can say the same of the majority of wealthy women executives I've met in my old job. I've no idea where you live but it sounds dreadful. I can't imagine the men are much better if their mates are so horrid. I'd move.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
These are the kind of women I'm talking about.

www.liveleak.com...
edit on 19-6-2012 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by libertytoall

Again I am sure there are irritating subgroups of people in any category you care to define, be it gender, race, religion, socioeconomic, etc. I am not a huge fan of political correctness and I don't like to infringe on freedom of expression, as I believe to do so potentially stifles constructive dialogue. I'm just trying to say that you are inadvertently insulting innocent women who would never dream of acting so badly, and in your inability to see or acknowledge that you have done so, you are showing that you also are focused too inwardly. You can only see what has insulted your own sensibilities and refuse to see how you are hurting or shocking others.

I'm not trying to get you to see the insult for my sake. As I said, I am not insulted personally. It's the choice I made to not feel personally affronted even though I am a comfortable middle class suburban mom myself and goodness knows I have my fair share of ditzy moments. It is just interesting to have this opportunity to have this dialogue with you about it. I think you made a great point about the self absorption of those women but it's just a little sad you don't see where you are falling into a similar trap.

I think people come to ATS because they like to think outside the box and break past the blinders their environment puts on them. I hope in time you'll overcome the bad impression the women in your environment have left you with and in the future express your frustrations about SOME women in terms that are more inclusive and less alienating of the nice women and men here on ATS who just want to lend you their support.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain
reply to post by Mantis914

You have a Geo Storm? I haven't seen one of those on the road in years. I'm impressed. I know it's not easy keeping an older small car running. People do tend to run us off the road.

Yup, you're right and it gets even worse when I drive my Metro. I pieced the Storm together and saved it from the scrap heap a few years back. These older cars are a lot easier to work on if you know how to do it and it only takes like about $25 bucks fill it up even at $3/gallon. I use the Storm as my commuter car and you should see the looks on some people's faces when they see it going down the road. You would think I'm driving a Model T...

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Danforth

that doesn't even make sense! i literally never even brought up the things you're talking about. are you sure you even posted on the right thread?? next time i'll use smaller words and lots of pictures, because maybe you just don't understand.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSyntheticUnderground
2011 Jeep? BOO-HOO!
Oh your poor jeep

The Jeep was meant to be a mint classic one day. How do you think clean classic cars get into existence? Do you think when they were new they got trashed or do you think the classics that are in excellent condition were babied by their owners when they were new? I rest my case.. What you're saying is ignorant.

Look I feel for ya, Cuz I got a 72 Datsun 240z that got damaged way worse from a dog! So I know what its like.

Should I be like you and say a 72 datsun? Throw it away it's a 72 friggin datsun man.. The fact is different strokes for different folks and your opinion and mine don't have to be equal. You love your car and I love mine. That's all that should be important.

When you pour Hours/Days/Years of your life assembling something and its disrepected right after its finished.
Yeah I think thats grounds for crying. But a 2011 jeep? Comon' thats a bic lighter man!

I think your datsun is a complete piece of trash.

Use it up, and throw it away!

I stated I was planning to keep this Jeep for 20 - 30 years. Wouldn't it be nice for someone else to be able to enjoy a mint classic Jeep like mine in about 20 years?? Throw your datsun off a cliff, it's worth $500.

You didnt build it... You didnt bring it back from the dead and give it life!

No but I busted my ass working to save the money to purchase this car. Much more work than it would take bringin a car back from the dead... Now you're just trying to show how manly you are for working on cars. Quite sad really.. Having built it or not or brought it back from the dead is irrelevant to the circumstances. You just had the urge to stroke your own ego. Why don't you bring back a real car from the dead instead a crappy 72 datsun..

So why are you getting upset?

Because you and many others on this forum are POS. Who have no respect for other people's feelings that do not align with your own way of thinking.

only thing you did was make a choice of what car you could afford to lease!

No I didn't.. I waited 20 years to buy this car. I could have afforded any one of hundreds of other cars.. This is what I wanted, this car I'm passionate about. It's a third car that sits in the garage and is attended to like an infant in diapers. It wasn't a necessity purchase that depended on a price point / car payment.. Get a life man!

Maybe she thought the same thing I'm thinking "Meh, its just a jeep" LOL!

Prime example of total lack of respect.
edit on 20-6-2012 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Had a guy back into my front passenger fender when he was coming out of a parking spot near the pump I was using. He had a wife and daughter in another car and he was in a pickup. He jumped out and looked like he was already in mid-stroke, flustered and upset. He instantly apologized and offered his info. They were frazzled and strung out from the stress of taking the girl to a school some distance away. I was irritated, but they were absolutely at their limit. I was glad I could tell them not to worry about it and send them on their way since I had a friend who could take care of it for a pizza and a 6-pack. I even got to help and learned a few things.

I'm looking past the rabid hate directed toward women which probably goes way beyond the car incident, to address the real issue of disrespect for people's things. I was shocked the man took responsibility instead of yelling and somehow trying to get off the hook. Truth is, it's rare in my experience. I see, and have myself fallen victim to, the "whats the big deal?" attitude more often than not. Whether it's posessions, ideas or just how I like my business conducted, it's maddening. If it's mine and someone screws it up, then yes it's a big deal to me. It doesnt matter if it means anything to the person who damaged it.

And comparing to what others go through is pointless. There's always someone worse off/better off than you. Someone else's pain or distress being worse doesn't make mine lessen. His car means a lot to him. Some dumbass damaged it and didn't even offer an apology. He has a right to be pissed. Where he screwed up here was making it about women. Bad presentation of a valid problem.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by torque

Very well said. If he could have altered the presentation to leave out the part about women this would have been a great discussion about the increased marked disrespect we are showing to one another more and more these days. It's something any decent person can't fail to notice. How did we get like this and how do we fix it? My husband says most of his time in managing the younger new employees goes into retraining them to stop being so entitled and so self centered. He has one younger coworker, not one of his direct reports or this person would be fired, who refuses to even put plastic in the office recycle bin because, and this was the person's own words "Why should I bother, what's in it for me?".

But it's not just younger people, there are plenty of examples of this attitude exhibited in our peer group and above, too. It's just that when things are explained to the younger ones, they are genuinely perplexed and don't understand why they have to consider anyone else other than themselves. The older ones know, they just made the decision not to care. The younger ones truly believe the world does revolve around them and their lack of understanding that it doesn't and inability to grasp the reality of their situation would be comical if it werent so tragic.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by libertytoall

Originally posted by TheSyntheticUnderground
2011 Jeep? BOO-HOO!
Oh your poor jeep

The Jeep was meant to be a mint classic one day. How do you think clean classic cars get into existence? Do you think when they were new they got trashed or do you think the classics that are in excellent condition were babied by their owners when they were new? I rest my case.. What you're saying is ignorant.

Prime example of total lack of respect.

Clean classic cars (20 years is not clasic) do not come about by polishing a daily driver. They are just not driven. I have relatively but certainly not at all perfect 78 Rolls Royce -- it has 18,000 miles on it. That is about 500 miles per year. It has nicks and chips and cracked paint and leather.

You either drive them or they are garage queens. Can't be both.

I go to a monthy show in Atl. 800 - 900 cars. The rage right now is unrestored cars from the 50s and 60s Rust dents pitted chrome and a whole lot of fun. There are the guys who line up their pristine camaros and lexus and toyotas -- no body really looks at them.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I'm starting to wonder how the people who think of "a car is just a car" treat their homes.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I'm starting to wonder how the people who think of "a car is just a car" treat their homes.

I'm starting to wonder how the people who don't think that way, treat the other people in their lives...

edit on 20-6-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

How can you not see where the majority of replies are coming from in this thread? People are clowning on you because you are raging over TINY SCRATCHES in your car door. You also appear to have no problem being an authoritarian misogynist who wants to strip half of the populations ablity to drive away.

Irony added by having a name like "liberty" on top of all that.

You Be Awesome. Shine On Man. Shine On.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
The feelings are real, the sexist comment was out of frustration, and the comment about taking their licenses away was extreme sarcasm through anger. I am still pissed off about it days after. I'm sure bimbo #1 and bimbo #2 moved on to more of their own self centered life 3 seconds later.

I'm not using bimbo to be sexist.. They actually were bimbos by definition.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

You'll probably be p.o'd every time you look at that spot on your car and even when/if it's fixed, you'll know exactly where the ding is, even if no one else can tell. The way it goes, I guess - it probably would have been easier to swallow if you'd been the one to put the first scratch in it, no doubt...

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

So, what's going on with your car now? Is it actually getting repaired or awaiting the repair? Let us know the outcome, I'd like to know how it turned out. My husband's last truck was damaged by a deer hitting it when he'd had it only a couple of months. We were so happy he came out of it unharmed, sorry for the deer, but really upset the shop did a poor repair job. So we didn't hold out much hope when the next one got hit head on by a guy who lost control of his truck. Somehow nobody got hurt in that one but the damage to my husband's truck was extensive. We were shocked to get it back in what appears to be mint condition. It was a different body shop this time that did the work. Both functionally and aesthetically the truck is fully restored. I hope the same can be done for your Wrangler. Still I imagine the repair deducts from the value you were hoping this vehicle would hold in the future.

I must say, because of the incredible traffic congestion and poor design of parking lots where I live...where landlords try to paint more parking spaces than is truly practical into a given amount of land, most of us around here really do not pay much attention to door dings. And due to the high cost of insurance it's not uncommon to see people smack into each other, get out, and if all they see is a tiny dent, just shrug and agree "Ahh, no big deal, see ya" and go on.

We "soccer moms" do dink our doors together in supermarket parking lots all the time and wave little apologies at each other and go on. Generally these dings don't leave marks and the reason we don't get upset is not because we don't value cars, but because it's just so hard to avoid these mishaps in our circumstances so we learned to accept it happens and yes, shrug it off. But usually we do acknowledge and apologize as we would if we were to smack into each other. Also, because of our congestion, serious accidents resulting in totaled cars and bodily harm are unfortunately common. So if we can get through the life of a car with nothing worse than door dings, we are actually quite relieved. Given your love of cars, I think you'd be appalled to see how many pushed in fenders there are around here in any parking lot in any given day. And truly, where I live the men and women are about the same with our cars.

I don't think you are out of line to expect an apology and acknowledgement from those thoughtless women, but I do wonder if you are failing to take into account the regional differences we all hold in not having the same concern over small vehicular damage. Not that I am trying to diminish the damage your car got, actually it sounds like it was a heck of a hit and not just a typical door ding. But you are addressing a world wide audience here, and not all of us have the same living conditions. What seems of grave concern to you might not register with others. But that in no way diminishes their capacity to living caring and unselfish lives, or to fail to feel bad for you and wish you well. And I do. I wish you many happy and safe times ahead with your car.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I'm not using bimbo to be sexist.. They actually were bimbos by definition.
I understand. But you need to be aware that people have applied that same argument to the use of the "N" word to black people they felt fit a description of an aggressive, entitled, brutish kind of black person. I grew up in a majority black neighborhood with black mentors and friends so close they are like family to me and not one of them accepts the use of that word in any circumstance. Especially when there are whites and other races who exhibit the same kinds of undesirable behavior.

Again I'm not trying to push political correctness on you, but trying to return you to the heart of the very matter you bring up yourself, the lack of respect we show each other and the hurtful consequences. Even though we may not agree with or understand what each other holds important, it shows respect to acknowledge what the other holds valuable.

I thought of a way to rephrase this in a way you might better relate to: You have the same power to hurt, disrespect and offend with carelessly tossed words as those women did with their carelessly flung car door. Do you understand now what I've been struggling to convey to you with my many walls of text?
edit on 20-6-2012 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join