It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young people’s belief in God drops sharply: poll

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
probably because children have acces to more information these days with the internet and tv so they can make up their own mind what they believe instead of just believing the nonsense some parents push onto them

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Red the op, scrolled then i jumped the pages..
Heres my reply:

SOO?!?!?

Tell me:
WHY do i HAVE to belive or even have "faith"?

WHY do my children have to have the same..?

AND, why is that ANY concern of yours.?!?!?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

Hmmm.. Trashy reality / pseudo clebrity TV is the new god for a lot of young people, coupled with addictions to equally trashy " You Tube " Twitter " and " Facebook " add all that to being inseparable from their mobile phones and there is little time for religious or spiritual enlightenment. And I'm an Atheist...capital " A "

Some clever person on ATS recently merged the logos of these popular media to read :

"YOUTWITFACE " How appropriate...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
I think it's mainly due to a lack of understanding. When you have a better understanding about what "God" is, it's pretty much impossible not to believe. Believing in solely the Judeo-Christian God, the Arabic God, the Muslim God, etc., is foolish since God, as a whole, is not restricted to what we believe. It is all based around understanding, and if you haven't done the research or had the required experiences, it can be pretty hard to believe in God, restricted or otherwise, outside of programmed brainwashing. My own personal life experiences combined with my knowledge gained from researching makes my belief in God absolute, but I do comprehend the Atheistic perspective.

Truth and logic there my friend.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by CrimsonKapital

Funny how when a woman has the morals of a man, she is slut. I think it is your antiquated morals that are the problem.

And to refute your claim, crime is at a 60 year low in the US.

Here here!

A man that "dates" a few woman, non exclusively, is a player. A woman that "dates" more than one man is less moral than her male counterpart, and called a slut.

what type of man wants to date a women who sleeps around?
ewwww

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Hard tobeleive in something THAT CAN DO ANYTHING ..EXCEPT SHOW UP.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

When GOD can do the simple task of showing himself, People will beleivbe in GOD. If he/she/it canrt simply do that then they dont exist.....and people get real ignant when they start making up stuff like, God lives in another dimension,,or GOd is on another plane,,,IF GOD were on another plane or dimension then he cant be a real on our plane if a plane exists or another dimension..People will come up with all sorts of childishness,,to claim a BETTER UNDERSTANDING of god is arrogant and sick.............

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by AkumaStreak

Like the possiblity that God is telling you to cut off the heads of your chilldren?

So what good is an ignorant fence sitter? Maybe some day youll give a speech about how the genital mutilation of little girls MIGHT be a good thing?

Wow. Sensical reply. I am agnostic, btw.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I believe that it is organized religion, in general, that offends the reason and objective senses of Man. Unless you've been indoctrinated in the dogmatic practices insisted upon by the clergy from a young age, I don't see how anyone can discern truth from trash in the so-called Holy Books.

"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors." -- Thomas Jefferson

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by AkumaStreak

So you enable illogical supidity when it suits you...

Thats what agnositc means right?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Honestly I'm surprised the numbers aren't higher.

I think most people doubt their beliefs at sometime, but the thing about religious indoctrination, especially in my case (I was raised in a Pentecostal church as well) is that they train you to shove the doubts away and embrace ignorance. It wasn't until my late teens when my parents stopped forcing me to get up early to go to church that I began to seek God on my own and read the Bible independent of being spoon-fed by some guy behind a pulpit. If anything leads a Christian to doubt their faith, or even for their faith to crumble as mine eventually had to, it's reading the Bible without any of the spin put on it by apologists and preachers.

Suddenly instead of Egypt deserving their fate you feel sorry for them, Yahweh is hardening Pharaoh's heart specifically to carry out the slaughter of the first born. Then after freeing his people Yahweh turns right around in Exodus 21 and tells them they can sell their daughters as slaves, beat their slaves, and even will some permanent slaves to their children as property.

They do say that one of the fastest ways to create an atheist is to have someone read the Bible, it took a while for me but reading the Bible definitely had a lot to do with it.

I find it promising that more people are doubting and questioning their beliefs, doubt is the first step on the journey to the truth.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Hi windword - I'd just say that I'd expect no less (I'm a believer, btw...don't really fit most of the molds currently available, though). Paul in one of his Thessalonians epistles predicted that the finals days wouldn't come until after the apostasy/falling away occurred, so I expect this to likely continue, honestly.

Do I infer much from that? Not a great deal beyond the sad state of affairs and terrible representation of so many of those who claim the faith...

Good luck!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by GmoS719

Really? I don't know, I watch mainstream stuff, like Law and Order, The Closer, Modern Family, Criminal Minds,etc. Could you point out some shows that make a mockery of Jesus and God? I just haven't seen them.

I do see a whole lot of sexuality in these new shows, like 2 Broke Girls. The dialog in that show is outrageous for prime time preteen TV!

www.youtube.com...

Here's one. I don't spend time watching modern shows because the very sound is toxic to my soul. I would suggest family guy or any seth mcfarland offerings, for standard ridicule of Jesus. Or, just listen to the preachers. They tear it up as good as anyone.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sampire
good.

Frankly, I am baffled when I encounter an otherwise, seemingly intelligent young person that still believes...

by young I mean 18-30 ish......as an impressionable child, I understand...but as I free thinking young adult - to adult in todays society, with thier eyes open....I find no excuse for buying any of it.

I agree Sampire, its puzzling when you meet smart people who believe in a god in this day and age.

Eventually we will evolve to the point we no longer need a god to guide us. God I hope Im alive to see it! but I doubt it, I give religion another hundred years tops. (that's if we survive the next hundred years of course!)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by davidmann

www.youtube.com...

Here's one. I don't spend time watching modern shows because the very sound is toxic to my soul. I would suggest family guy or any seth mcfarland offerings, for standard ridicule of Jesus. Or, just listen to the preachers. They tear it up as good as anyone.

WOW!
That Youtube was very disturbing, to say the least.

PS: Did Jesus make bread out of crickets?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
once you reach around the age of maybe 6 to 10 you realize santa claus isnt real
it amazes shocks and saddens me that in this age so many people believe in a god
do the god lovers not realise how utterly stupid they sound
when will humans be free of this man made religious madness

edit on 15-6-2012 by reclaimed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonKapital
Anyone else notice how with the decline of Christianity/Catholicism in the West, our moral and family values have also declined...

Not hardly! Immoral things have always happened, they were just better hidden away. How many things in our past would be considered immoral by today's standards, but were just accepted back then. How much were we not aware of, but still happened.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MaMaa

Yes. Incest for one. I know it was rampant in my family's ancestry. My mom, when confronted, said "We were all taught just to keep quite about it and just take it." There were no laws in place against men who abused their daughters, granddaughters, nieces, etc.

Same with spousal abuse. Women were property, here in the US until the mid 1900's.

For how many hundreds, and hundreds of years have Catholic priests been molesting little boys?

Kidnapping and human trafficking all proceeded with greased palms and blind eyes.

We are way more equipped to fight these kinds of godless abuses today.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
"Young people".

In my experience, the closer to death you are, the closer to God you become. How may young people will find God as their end approaches and / or when they get to experience "life" away from their mollycuddled, armchair life?

Also, although some people may wish for a society without religion and God, I think a Godless society would lack a moral baseline.

Regards
edit on 15/6/2012 by paraphi because: layout

edit on 15/6/2012 by paraphi because: grammar correction

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
in the OP you make it sound like Athiesm is an abomination?..

how is it so hard for you people to understand a life without religion at all?

I've been an athiest my whole life, there has never been a time or period where I believed in god..
I was a kid in sunday school who understood what I was hearing was NOT POSSIBLE,
and nothing in my thoughts towards any religious has deviated in the slightest.
edit on 15-6-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join