It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young people’s belief in God drops sharply: poll

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by CrimsonKapital

Funny how when a woman has the morals of a man, she is slut. I think it is your antiquated morals that are the problem.

And to refute your claim, crime is at a 60 year low in the US.

No I agree with you, but back then in the olden days men were faithful to their wives and their wives were devoted to their husbands, it was called a "family structure".
Today, both men and women have become demoralized and promiscuous. However the women back then prized themselves on keeping their virginity for their husbands, any women who had sex before marriage was considered a slut, I don't make the rules tradition does.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonKapital
but back then in the olden days men were faithful to their wives and their wives were devoted to their husbands, it was called a "family structure".

Uh huh. And that's why my grandmother (born in 1883) had an illegal half sister.

The thing about the "olden days" is selective memory - - - and keeping stuff hidden behind closed doors.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
It's normal to doubt your beliefs. It doesn't say "do you believe in god." It asked "have you ever doubted the existence of god."

Even believers doubt sometimes, and if they don't then they follow blindly. I definitely understand how this thread is disinfo. It's leading to false conclusions by a simply poll question.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonKapital
No I agree with you, but back then in the olden days men were faithful to their wives and their wives were devoted to their husbands, it was called a "family structure".
Today, both men and women have become demoralized and promiscuous. However the women back then prized themselves on keeping their virginity for their husbands, any women who had sex before marriage was considered a slut, I don't make the rules tradition does.

Your assertion that, back in the "olden days", men and women were faithful and devoted, is conspicuously absent of reality. This Norman Rockwell portrayal of early times is nostalgic and is the way we'd like to think about it, but the reality is that broken homes, alcoholism, family dysfunction, and reckless promiscuity were just as prevalent as they are today. The only difference between today and "back then" is that today, such behavior is much more public and out in the open. This romantic notion you have of life back in those "olden days" is nothing more than a figment of imagination.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;"

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;"

Wow, an irrelevant Bible quote. How original.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by draco49

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Wow, an irrelevant Bible quote. How original.

How is it irrelevant, less people believe in god, and in the last days it says less people will believe in god.

That's what falling away means.

that scoffers will be denying that Christ came.
They will turn away from their faith; their walk with God.

I am sorry but signs of the times reminds me of Biblical prophecy.
edit on 083030p://bFriday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
this is a stage of development. we as individuals will all go through it, as the individuals story is humanitys story. Next they will realize there is a god but hes far away, then he's all around us, then he's within us and finally we are one.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
One day these times will be looked back on with laughter and disbelief,thoese fools who believed a man in the sky would punish them!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
they need to give young people psychedelics so they can handle god with first hand experience, to witness the work of god.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
As a young person of 19, I believe I am qualified to speak for this age group. We don't like religion and we don't think of God because we see all the abuses that religion has caused. Plus my generation has very much an inquisitive mind and think "Why should we listen to a book that is 2000 years old and changed, who knows how many times to fit political means?"

If you want a good example of how my generation thinks, go to Reddit /r/ Atheism. A great quote

Is God a neanderthal, backwards in his morality?

[snip].
Yes.

Sorry, but Yahweh is a [jerk]. If you go by the book about him, back when Moses came down out of the mountain and gave the commandments telling people to burn cow kidneys and make virgins marry their rapists, who ordered people killed for picking up sticks on the wrong day - evidently, the most knowledgeable being in the universe couldn't take a second to say:

"Hey, while we're at it, anyone who takes slaves or kills people because they have a different sexuality, or treats women like property - kill them. Leave the guy picking up sticks alone until we get all of the other [crap] sorted out."

So yeah - Yahweh's a neanderthal and is backwards in his morality, or else the first commandment would have been "Don't be [jerks] to each other."

And this is by far one of my favorite posts on all of this:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
This just shows how much people have been fooled by Darwin and his theory of evolution. Because of one paragraph in the Bible, they automatically assumed that evolution disproves God altogether, when if you examine evolution carefully, it requires the existence of a God or Intelligent Mind behind it to work.

At this point, if they're not going to teach Creationism(not the Bible version, but the finely-tuned universe one) in school, then I'd say they need to remove teaching evolution altogether. There are so many practical subjects that could be taught, so why should evolution be so special? If they're going to teach evolution, then how about teaching them about the double-slit experiment also? How about teaching them about the behavior of light, photons? How about that you see things differently based on your vibrations(note that this is not from me, but from Athene, who professes to be atheist, yet it's remarkable how many of his conclusions resemble about what I've read in "channelled" messages. He even has an equation for consciousness, which is C = hf(C is consciousness and replaces E). How about teaching them about the holographic, simulated universe, or the multiverse?

At the very least, they should remove Chemistry. Honestly, who the hell cares what a covalent bond is, or what NaCl is?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Religion didn't cause the holocaust. If it weren't for Darwin and all of the philosophers that you learned in your college classes painting such a bleak picture of mankind, you think Hitler would have been so cruel? Nope, a person that truly believes in God and that there is a punishment for his deeds would not do such a thing.

I'm actually the opposite of most atheists. I used to be fooled by Darwin, but not any more.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Well I'm a long time lurker & poster, and had lost my account a few months back, but I just had to create a new account to applaud you on such a well thought provoking post. I have always been an outspoken atheist, loving to get into it with pastors and "bible thumping friends", but recently due to personal issues I've started to rethink more deeply into my spirituality, and well honestly have become completely lost and confuse on just what I believe, but I do believe all life lives on in some shape or form.

S&F, now if you'll excuse me I've got 6 pages to read.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by np6888
reply to post by mossme89

Religion didn't cause the holocaust. If it weren't for Darwin and all of the philosophers that you learned in your college classes painting such a bleak picture of mankind, you think Hitler would have been so cruel? Nope, a person that truly believes in God and that there is a punishment for his deeds would not do such a thing.

I'm actually the opposite of most atheists. I used to be fooled by Darwin, but not any more.

Be honest, are you in complete denial or are you just making up nonsense on purpose as a joke?
Hitler's actions were based on Darwins words? Explain...

Fooled by what? Evidence?

What is wrong with people nowadays?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
I've been an athiest my whole life, there has never been a time or period where I believed in god..
I was a kid in sunday school who understood what I was hearing was NOT POSSIBLE,
and nothing in my thoughts towards any religious has deviated in the slightest.
edit on 15-6-2012 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

The problem is that they think creating entire universes & making 300 sextillion stars only require the wave of a hand or a word spoken from the mouth of a "divine" one. What really is impossible is trying to explain someone that.

I would compare the religious folks to Ron Paul supporters because of their hope and faith, but Ron Paul
actually exists. -_-

Now that I'm done subliminally down talking religion, I'll say that I stopped believing in god when I was done with 6 grade. I asked my older sister why god created life and didn't take care of it. Instead of giving you the answer she gave me, I'll say that what she said made me question everything I have ever learned. The outrageous answers I would get when asking about god were ridiculous. Two years later, I found ATS.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarFields

Thank you and welcome to ATS, again.

I'm so flattered that you signed up to comment on my OP.

Enjoy reading and hope you comment more and in many threads.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandettas

I was fooled by Darwin because of the fact that he(or the scientists) thinks that by disproving a certain part of the Bible, they make it seem like they just disproved God!

If people really think critically, then they'd realize that it's possible that the Bible has been altered.

Also, contrary to what people have said, the Internet has actually brought forth a lot MORE evidence for the existence of God, at least for me it has. The rising number is really no more than the fact that the parents who learned about evolution and fooled by Darwin just taught it to their children.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

As far as how Darwin caused the holocaust, well, let's say that it was me in place of Darwin, which I could easily refute all of his arguments, and let's say I showed that if you kill people, it's possible that you will burn in hell forever, you don't think that it would force Hitler to think a little bit?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Our universe is big relative to your perception, but what about a universe where our entire universe is but an electron, where we are but a small bubble in an infinite large quantum foam? What about the universe of the electron, where WE create with our consciousness?

Big and small are relative. You may think that our universe is too big that it's impossible for anyone to create it, well, if you ask an electron, they'll tell you the same thing, but the fact is, we DO create the universe of an electron(every time we observe and collapse its wave function.)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join