It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young people’s belief in God drops sharply: poll

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
A recent poll, by Pew Research Center, asked young people, under the age of 30, to agree or disagree with this statement:

“I never doubted the existence of God.”

The study found that 15% more young people doubt the existence of God than in 2007.
blog.seattlepi.com...

The figures perhaps reflect the increasing boldness of atheist authors and philosophers in public debate, or perhaps the less-than-stellar behavior of prelates who proclaim God’s word.

So, all you fundamentalists sitting at your keyboard, ready to pounce and debunk or chastise that atheist's post, your fears are being realized.

Maybe these young people never had a religious experience, or their parents never nurtured a spiritual context, or maybe these young people represent what happens when there is an open discourse of ideas.

My upbringing, an Assembly of God, Pentecostal environment never allowed for questions, period! But today's youth doesn't have to rely on their pastors to answer their questions any longer. The internet, and sights like ATS, are there to inform people of just about any alternate view, without reprisal.

But, open discourse and debate are not the only reason for some's lack of faith. The action of ubber religious folks are being cited as partly to blame. Poor exemplary behavior and ungodly or unChristlike reactions, are turning young people away from faith in God.

I said goodbye to the genre of Christianity in which I was raised, but I was unable to embrace atheism. I searched and delved into spiritual realms by dabbling in Buddhism, Sufism, Bahia Faith, Astrology, Mysticism etc. until I settled into something that works for me.

I encourage anyone to search for a meaningful life, by any means. I am not opposed to those that choose atheism, it just isn't for me. But I wonder if these kids are making their own choices about their views of God or are they being left out because of the global mess our religious leaders are making? Are they truly being educated to use their critical thinking or is spirituality simply absent?

What say you ATS?

edit on 14-6-2012 by windword because: grammer

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I have never been a big "believer" except when I was a child and told that believing was the right thing to do; however, i just never had that programming. I am currently taking a humanities class andthat only fortifies my beliefs that christianity is just another phase of religion cycling through life. Since the beginning of time it appears man has always needed an answer for why things happen. One day the questions of our existence and universe will be answered, and only then will there be the true meaning of life.
edit on 14-6-2012 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I would blame it on T.V. & mainstream music. The programs that teenagers & young adults watch these days continuously make a mockery out of God & Jesus. Someone has an agenda, I'll make sure they don't brainwash me or my family though.
edit on 14-6-2012 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
good.

Frankly, I am baffled when I encounter an otherwise, seemingly intelligent young person that still believes...

by young I mean 18-30 ish......as an impressionable child, I understand...but as I free thinking young adult - to adult in todays society, with thier eyes open....I find no excuse for buying any of it.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Really? I don't know, I watch mainstream stuff, like Law and Order, The Closer, Modern Family, Criminal Minds,etc. Could you point out some shows that make a mockery of Jesus and God? I just haven't seen them.

I do see a whole lot of sexuality in these new shows, like 2 Broke Girls. The dialog in that show is outrageous for prime time preteen TV!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

Depend on me,and I will let you down
Repeatedly,you think you learned by now
In your hour of need,I'm nowhere to be found
and while you bleed,I'm indifferent..

God is a Strangely Absent Father
His back is turned,perpetually
All the orphaned sons,and daughters
Will buy in,this suffering

BTW,I believe in a God.FAITH,or the lack of it.....

Bottom line.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
"Young people’s belief in God drops sharply: poll"

So how's Obama going to get elected?

(sorry, had to get that out of my system)

ON TOPIC

Faith comes in all shapes and sizes. If young people are losing faith are they losing faith in other things as well?

Plus, how is faith taught?

By parents, by the church, by role models.

Are parents losing faith? Or are they relagating tht responsibility to schools?

The church? Isn't also the parents responsibility to at least show them what faith is?

And who are the role models for the youth?

Lady Gaga?

I personally find fault with the parents.

anyway, my 2 cent.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I understand this perspective.

what are we to think about god when so much of our world is corrupt?

the people we should be looking up to as examples are the worst of the lot: the church, our leaders, celebrities, athletes.

or perhaps they are just a reflection of us.

maybe atheism is the natural, unsocialized state of existence.

maybe we are returning to our roots.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Sampire

I also am baffled and saddened to see a young person preaching hate, hell, retribution and division. I am happy to see that more young people are using their heads and turning away from such nonproductive idealism.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by GmoS719

Really? I don't know, I watch mainstream stuff, like Law and Order, The Closer, Modern Family, Criminal Minds,etc. Could you point out some shows that make a mockery of Jesus and God? I just haven't seen them.

I do see a whole lot of sexuality in these new shows, like 2 Broke Girls. The dialog in that show is outrageous for prime time preteen TV!

Believe it or not, Shows like Family guy, South park, the Simpsons biggest group of watchers are in the age group of 12-30. All shows that poke fun at God & Jesus. Also shows with strong atheist characters have an effect on people. Take Bones for instance. Also, House.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I think it's mainly due to a lack of understanding. When you have a better understanding about what "God" is, it's pretty much impossible not to believe. Believing in solely the Judeo-Christian God, the Arabic God, the Muslim God, etc., is foolish since God, as a whole, is not restricted to what we believe. It is all based around understanding, and if you haven't done the research or had the required experiences, it can be pretty hard to believe in God, restricted or otherwise, outside of programmed brainwashing. My own personal life experiences combined with my knowledge gained from researching makes my belief in God absolute, but I do comprehend the Atheistic perspective.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
The only reason I don't believe in religion is because it does good and bad, and the only reason religion should be there is to do just good. and to understand YOUR OWN definition and understanding of god. NOT God wants us to do this or that or hate these people or give his church money or that religion is wrong.

Here are some of the reason why i don't like religion:

religious wars.

organised religions.

telling people what to believe rather than letting them find out for them selfs.

and just pure hatred towards people that haven't done anything to you, but just because your told to hate them because of a certain lifestyle. Even if that person has saved your life, you children's life your wife's life.
edit on 14-6-2012 by definity because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-6-2012 by definity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
As an under 30 something for me no proof=no god.

"Having Faith" means nothing to me if it is not based upon any literal evidence. I have no problem in others believing in a god, even if it does make me question their intelligence levels.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
I'll make sure they don't brainwash me or my family though

So, you wont let them be free to make up their own mind???
Shame on you.

An Athiest.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

I'll make sure they don't brainwash me or my family though

So, you wont let them be free to make up their own mind???
Shame on you.

An Athiest.

You can interpret what I said in what ever fashion you see fit.
My family is exactly that. Mine.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

reply to post by GmoS719

Believe it or not, Shows like Family guy, South park, the Simpsons biggest group of watchers are in the age group of 12-30. All shows that poke fun at God & Jesus. Also shows with strong atheist characters have an effect on people. Take Bones for instance. Also, House.

Ah yeah! I don't watch "Family Guy" but I have seen "South Park" and "The Simpsons" lambaste religion. I don't know about "Bones" but yeah, House definitely!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

This is a very misleading question,

“I never doubted the existence of God.”

Are they asking about any god or are they speaking of the "white man's god?"
Because there are waaaay too many holes in the holy book stories.
So, do i believe in a zombie god that now leaves eggs via a rabbit?
Hardly, but there is something greater than just me.
I'm wondering if folks interpret this question as an athiest or agnostic question or a hodge podge of both.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

what does color have to do with it? nothing.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

reply to post by GmoS719

Ah yeah! I don't watch "Family Guy" but I have seen "South Park" and "The Simpsons" lambaste religion. I don't know about "Bones" but yeah, House definitely!

I don't see it as these shows poking at god but poking at organized religion.
In fact one episode of Futurama comes to mind, where Bender actually meets God.
Godfellas

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

reply to post by GmoS719

I don't see it as these shows poking at god but poking at organized religion.
In fact one episode of Futurama comes to mind, where Bender actually meets God.
Godfellas

Most young people don't know God outside of organized religion and when an episode where someone is making fun of the only God they know it effects them. You might not see it, but they do.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join