It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young people’s belief in God drops sharply: poll

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I think the question is totally dependent on a person' upbringing. If one was led to believe that God is Odin or Shiva then that is the god that they would ether believe in or doubt. God is a very subjective term. Everyone has their own definition, depending on the stories they were told.

For me, I went through a total rejection, and then had a spiritual experience, out of the blue, that made me believe in a god that was different than the one my parents pushed on me.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

I think responding to a question like " I never doubted the existence of God" can be misleading.

Even the very faithful have had doubts at times, maybe not all , but many.

Seems like a trick question to show biased results in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

Yeah. Who could honestly say that they never had doubts? It is rather emphatic of a question, I agree. I would be suspicious of those who answered "no."
edit on 14-6-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-6-2012 by windword because: grammer

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaaiii
reply to post by g146541

what does color have to do with it? nothing.

LOL, calm down!
Before the American Indians were forced into indoctrination schools, they did not worship the white man's god.
Actually, I guess color has a lot to do with it.
The white man has been pressing his particular brand of god on many colors for a long long time.
The white man pressed his god into the brown man's world and then into the red man's world.
I don't think the white man's god has enough steam for the yellow man just yet.
People have always been easily manipulated for reasons of color and religion, that is the real devil there, our own creations.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, and why we died. All that matters is that today, two stood against many. Valor pleases you, so grant me this one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, the HELL with you! ~ Conan

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
because
edit on 14-6-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

That's my view. I'll let my children make up their own mind as I was allowed to make up mine. My mother was raised in a strict catholic home. Attended church regularly and went to catholic schools most of her childhood. She was taught in those schools by very strict catholic nuns (rulers on the knuckles kind). She hated it and while it didn't break her belief in the existence of a higher power, it did break her belief in organized religion and devout religious beliefs.

She always told herself that she would never subject her children to the same thing she was forced into growing up, thus allowing me to have my own free mind to think and believe what made the most sense to me. Ironically, my brother is very religious and attends church and sends his kids to bible study. We were her only two kids and we wound up with vastly different religious and spiritual beliefs.

One thing I will never to do to my kids is brainwash them into thinking they should or shouldn't believe something just because I say so. They will always be allowed to search for their own answers. I will never, never, never force my belief (or non-belief) onto them.

In my childhood, religion,god, church, none of that was a part of my home growing up. I did attend church with my friends, which led me to start asking questions and I was never satisfied with any answers I received. Being able to look for answers without being told to believe by someone else has been a "blessing" so to speak.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I blame Justin Beiber....its all his fault......

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoherentlyConfused
reply to post by VoidHawk

One thing I will never to do to my kids is brainwash them into thinking they should or shouldn't believe something just because I say so. They will always be allowed to search for their own answers. I will never, never, never force my belief (or non-belief) onto them.

If I could I'd give you a thousand stars for that statment

I'm Athiest but nothing against those who believe, but very strongly feel we should be left to find our own way on such things.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

Originally posted by VoidHawk

I'll make sure they don't brainwash me or my family though

So, you wont let them be free to make up their own mind???
Shame on you.

An Athiest.

You can interpret what I said in what ever fashion you see fit.
My family is exactly that. Mine.

The only word missing from your last sentence is the word PROPERTY

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Well the catholic church doesn't have a leg to stand on, they have proven young people are not safe behind there walls, and everyone knows it.

Christianity claims to be under constant attack, while they attack Islam and gays and young people see the hipocracy. They claim religious freedom while attacking other religions and minorities.

With there judgmental attitudes what is the point of having a omnipotent god when they will do all his work for him?

edit on 14-6-2012 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Hitler changed the beliefs of the youth through his Ministry of Propaganda & Indoctrination using the media in his day - free radios, controlled media, film and posters. It was a test run and worked.

Godless anti-Christ people own the media, and produce everything that we consume. Jesus said that what we physically eat passes right through and is eliminated....but what we consume spiritually is what we become. I'm paraphrasing, but the gist is there. If kids are going to sing "I love Judas", turn their kids tv on to see them plying occultism, then read about how aliens are our 'creator', what are they going to believe? Parents have thrown off their belief in God and think that love is tolerance instead of obedience to their Creator, and therefore cannot recognise that the media is the new Ministry of Propaganda & Indoctrination for the rising beast. The kids are lapping Satan's ideology up which preaches at every opportunity that there is no God, that there is no judgement and that what he offers is great! He offers his brand of feel good love, but neglects to tell you the cost in the Creator's eyes. Funny that Islam rampages through the world unchecked, and yet the descendents of Christians can't recognise the awful calamity that has befallen themselves. They've been MADE Godless and are happily clapping to be free of their own God's "tough" yoke. What they don't realise is that the yoke that they threw off was light and full of blessings, and that they've traded it for one of iron that is slowly and surely being drawn around our necks.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

You will know them by there fruits. All I see on here is people blaming outside influences, the church is no longer holy. It is corrupt to the core and the young people see it clearly. The young people know the history of the church and how un Christ like it is.

George W Bush claimed to be a Christian, and Christians followed him, but we know him by his fruits, he was at least a lier.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Shame on you.

An Athiest.

Whats to interpret?

You tell me?
You somehow got "So, You wont let them be free to make up their own mind?"
from
"I wont let them brainwash me or my family."

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Shame on you.

An Athiest.

The only word missing from your last sentence is the word PROPERTY

Their you go again putting words in my mouth.
Go ahead, I can see that you your mind is set to go in one direction.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I belive that the souls that comes here are as a whole more knowledgeable and more restistant to faulty indoctrination and religons that are just showing an illusion of holyness will not be followed. Why follow the blind when you see that they do not have much more understanding than yourself. The old indoctrinations must dissapear as the faulty thing they are. Dualistic views and putting all people in one mold is not helping understanding. I do not worry about the young people. I belive that they will spiritually in the end understand more as a whole than the older generation did. The evolution continues and let wisdom and love be the guide not egoparasiting bullying to fit the mold.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

This shows an increasing intelligence, less willingness to accept the BS, a detachment from the warped and out-dated doctrines.

It's a good sign, and I hope it continue, hastens even.

Religious insanity and indoctrination, the abuse of the masses by an authoritarian minority, has to end.

Believe what you want to believe, but leave me and my elected government OUT of it.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

The study found that 15% more young people doubt the existence of God than in 2007.
blog.seattlepi.com...

I'm actually surprised at this. Always thought that kids were more prone to believing in magic and fantasies than adults.

Here is a recent article on preachers turning atheist. religion.blogs.cnn.com...

Now, these preachers can recite the bible backwards and forwards. They can debate the existence of a god till an atheist turns blue in the face. And yet, they were still able to break through their religious backgrounds and brainwashing.
edit on 6/14/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by apushforenlightment

I agree! I have enormous faith in today's young people. When I look at my daughter and her friends, admiration and hope are inspired in me. She has a much stronger sense of self than I ever did at that age and knows what she wants from life, while I just took what it gave me.

She is a strong leader and competent mentor in her field and is working to make the world a better place, through medical research. She is unafraid of god's judgement and is guilt free, a good thing in my eyes!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by GmoS719

Really? I don't know, I watch mainstream stuff, like Law and Order, The Closer, Modern Family, Criminal Minds,etc. Could you point out some shows that make a mockery of Jesus and God? I just haven't seen them.

I do see a whole lot of sexuality in these new shows, like 2 Broke Girls. The dialog in that show is outrageous for prime time preteen TV!

Believe it or not, Shows like Family guy, South park, the Simpsons biggest group of watchers are in the age group of 12-30. All shows that poke fun at God & Jesus. Also shows with strong atheist characters have an effect on people. Take Bones for instance. Also, House.

Lighten up if you can. Life is just a ride and then you go home to someone who is actively playing hide and seek with all humans on this earth. Everyday I see things that make me think god have an extreme sense of humour. It is some humans who have a problem with being in a funny mood at the same time as thinking about god. Its all brimstone and hell with some people. I know this place is a drag sometimes but I think I know the perfect message to you all.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join