It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VEGAN for 3.5 Months. Massive hair loss.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
You CAN reverse this. Get some protein (meat or eggs) in your body NOW. It will take a few weeks but it will be effective.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Tripple_Helix

1) get off the soy products - hair loss has been reported, and cleared up, after minimizing soy products - whether or not this was the cause. Also, *most* soy is GMO crap, and we tend not to eat the best types anyway (Tempeh, etc.) - best to go with the fermented varieties and minimize intake, as soy contains phytoestrogens and can cause some various hormone issues.

2) Vitamin b-12 is very important, and I'm not aware of ANY valid plant sources to provide this (as it's only produced by animals, etc.) - the best, and pretty much only - recommendation I found for this when I was doing my vegetarian thing was Red Star nutritional yeast - vegetarian support formula.

3) Plant-based iron is less-easily absorbed/bioavailable. Eat more iron-rich foods and possibly supplement with vitamin C and/or l-lysine rich foods to aid absorption.

Good luck - do some more research, check with experts to make sure you're OK in meantime while verifying or trying these out. I utterly respect the diet and the reasons for it (I just have no real support in my area and fell off wagon after about 4 months - no issues during that time, though), but your health is more important while you're making sure you're doing it properly.

I also personally have no issue with ovo-lacto vegetarianism, as long as the eggs and milk are from cruelty-free and true free-range/grass fed sources, etc. Local farmers markets or the like should be decent places to check for this, as these products CAN BE provided with no cruelty or moral issue.

I have disagreements with 'strict' veganism, though. Honey and some other products are also very good and helpful, and can be gathered in very cruelty-free fashions as well (and regardless, I - fairly or no - am not QUITE so worried about the feelings of bees given a range of differences).

Take care.

edit on 14-6-2012 by PeterWiggin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azadok2day

Originally posted by wiser3
reply to post by Azadok2day

Nice Post!

NOT!

Hope you never have to ask anyone for advice!

So according to your vast knowledge the majority of Vegetarian/Vegans have abortions or are pro-abortion? Sources?

Absolutely we should seek out advice from one another , but really 2+2 is always four and the OP is just being plain silly by putting her health at risk for an egg or a cow which were put on this earth for are use in a humane manner. Like I wrote before and stand by it with plenty of experience with this subject due to my sons mother being a vegetarian then vegan . Her whole life she has attempted to achieve good health thru this life choice and has had health issues because of it. Ironically they never put the two together and blame other environmental factors.

And again the vast majority of vegans are very liberal and want to protect the animals but have no problem with abortion truly sad.

As far as sources go just google " vegan and abortion ". Page after page on the issue
edit on 09/06/2012 by Azadok2day because: Add a thought

Yup!!! Kill the babies and save the wolves. Sick f#in world!
edit on 14-6-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This is precisely one of the reason why I am vegetarian (and not vegan)..

The same thing happened to me when I went for a month on a gluten-free vegan diet. My nails became very weak as well, and my energy took a sharp plunge into the gutters.

Now that I've incorporated some wheat back into my diet (no graham flour), free range vegetarian-fed eggs, and dairy -- none of this is going on any longer... I still never eat meat, and never plan to again.

Vegan diets can work out well if you know the dynamics behind it, but for me; as long as I'm not participating in the active death of another being, all is well... (moral choice)

I hope you start to feel better soon

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Consider a B-100 complex, it contains biotin for nail and hair health. If you're a full fledged vegan, definitely look into combining supplements with your meals. Stay healthy!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I never understood vegans, no offense. Eating meat is part of the cycle of life. Think about it...if a cow could eat us and were the dominant species it would. Same thing goes for every other animal. Other bigger wild animals like Lions would eat a person and probably have in some parts of the world.

Civilizations for thousands of years have been eating the very things you cut out. Your body needs those nutrients.

I lose alot of hair just like you. I have always lost a lot of hair but I'm not a vegan. I was on prenatal meds at one point but it didn't really help. I just have a thick head of hair and I lose a lot. My doctor said it was normal and not to worry. I think she gave me the prenatal vitamins to make me feel better.

I have a friend who did the vegan diet for about a year and she went back to eating fish and eggs because of some of the problems she had with it. I think everyones body acts differently to this type of diet.

If you are really concerned check with your doctor and see if he/she can suggest something to help you out with the hair loss.

Hope everything works out for you

thats just not true. if humans could pick up a hinder quarter out of a deer and take a bite out of it and enjoy then i'd agree with you. just like if u pour blood on grains a horse won't eat it, you can make a lion enjoy veggies unless you decorate it with blood. just man can't enjoy meat unless he cooks it and seasons it. humans aren't omnivores, bears are omnivores-look at the teeth difference between man and bear

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

Look at the teeth of a human.

Front teeth for ripping, and the back teeth for grinding. You don't need the front teeth for eating a salad. If we were meant to be vegetarians, our teeth would be in an entirely different layout.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
my advise is to count your daily protein take. beans have more than enough protien to replace meat consumption. you may have low iron. i could tell you a yoga that will stop it but too many people would laugh at me so i'll keep it to myself u can message me if u wanna try it. n dont listen to these idiots saying eating meat is healthy

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daemonicon

Look at the teeth of a human.

Front teeth for ripping, and the back teeth for grinding. You don't need the front teeth for eating a salad. If we were meant to be vegetarians, our teeth would be in an entirely different layout.

rip a piece of flesh out an animal and see if your teeth don't break off.
say humans are omnivores is like me saying my dogs and cats are omnivores. just becase i can get them to eat an apple doesn't mean thats what nature intended them to eat. human canine teeth aren't efficient at ripping flesh off of animals thus thats not what nature intended them for. look at a bears canine teeth, if you had some of them i'd agree with you
edit on 14-6-2012 by biggmoneyme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I tried vegan once, even though I was taking supplements my nails started splitting so bad and hardly growing, my hair was dry and brittle, and my skin just started looking older. Also I got very dry patches on my legs and hands that were unbearably itchy. I started eating eggs and cheese again and wild salmon and there was such a noticeable improvement in my skin, nails, and hair that I decided not to be vegan or vegetarian. I would say I am mostly vegetarian but I partake in a little organic chicken and wild salmon now and again. It was a moral issue for me too, but I don't know what's worse? Having poor health to save the animals or for them to die for my nourishment. For selfish reasons I eat meat occasionally but always try to have it organic and free range. I still feel guilty, especially because I have a couple of beautiful Vegan friends who have been successful with it. I feel like I'm failing, and not being a good person. lol But then I think that the cycle of life, in this physical existence, we all die, it's just a matter of when and how. So at least I try to tell myself it's better than eating animals that have suffered extensively.

I think I will go back to just a little bit of cheese and eggs eventually because I just feel too bad eating meat. When every meal is filled with guilt I think an alternative would be helpful, I think that the eggs will give me all the protein I need.

edit on 14-6-2012 by seeker11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tripple_Helix
It started as a medical reason, although I have never been a real big meat eater. I cut out all dairy, eggs, fish, poultry & meat. It has now turned into a moral issue for me.

A little while back, my hair started to fall out. I thought it was just an after effect of the anesthesia, or so people told me. Now I'm not so sure. If I can give you an indication of how much hair is falling out- If I roll it into a tight ball, it's a little bit smaller than a tennis ball... slightly larger than a golf ball. Now, it doesn't stop in the shower. All day long if I put my hands through my hair, about 10 strands come out each time.

It has also taken over 3 weeks for my nails to grow 2mm and some are splitting apart horizontally, yet, they are very hard and strong.

You are linking your physical symptoms to your diet when it may not be the culprit. If you have access, get a physical to look for other causes. Do you have pollution problems in your environment? Is anyone with integrity monitoring radioactivity in South Africa?

If you have ruled out every thing else, start by taking a high quality multivitamin. Then you need to add moderate amounts of meat and dairy to your diet. Free range eggs (done the right way) are products from happy chickens. Local *small* farmer raised livestock (done the right way) are treated well and have a relatively good life. The products to avoid are factory/corporate farms.

Best of luck ...

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Get on some multivitamins for the next month. The same thing happened to me due to poor diet a few years ago.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
wow ive never heard of anyones nails and hair going to # because of becoming vegan, interesting. if anything i've become more vibrant, my skins looks better, my hair started falling out a long time ago but thats just mpb but my nails are fine. i didn't become vegan because of morals issues though. meat just gradually become less appealing to me. then diary made me weak and heavy.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Why would your teeth break off from ripping flesh? I guess maybe if you have been a vegan your whole life and you have weak teeth, but a healthy person should not break a tooth just tearing through flesh. Tyson didn't break a tooth, the Miami zombie guy didn't break a tooth. I eat plenty of steak and I have never broken a tooth.

In fact, Dentists will tell you that eating things like Apples will strengthen your teeth by providing resistance training just like going to the gym. The more tough stuff you eat, the stronger your teeth get.

I'm pretty sure I could take a nice juicy chunk out of a nice juicy deer and not break a tooth. I'd prefer to skin it and cook it first, but if push comes to shove, my teeth are up to the challenge.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
google is telling me that this is telogen effluvium, which is caused by iron deficiency . something vegans miss out on is iron. take a multivitamin with iron in it(be careful with the iron though if you absorb too much it can F you the F up)
www.vegsource.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Why would your teeth break off from ripping flesh? I guess maybe if you have been a vegan your whole life and you have weak teeth, but a healthy person should not break a tooth just tearing through flesh. Tyson didn't break a tooth, the Miami zombie guy didn't break a tooth. I eat plenty of steak and I have never broken a tooth.

In fact, Dentists will tell you that eating things like Apples will strengthen your teeth by providing resistance training just like going to the gym. The more tough stuff you eat, the stronger your teeth get.

I'm pretty sure I could take a nice juicy chunk out of a nice juicy deer and not break a tooth. I'd prefer to skin it and cook it first, but if push comes to shove, my teeth are up to the challenge.

i mean a dead animal lying in front of you. bit a big chunk out of it without breaking your teeth. if you can do this then i'll agree that man was intended by nature to eat meat
and if you really think you can do that then, uh lol idk i'd bet a grand you couldn't
edit on 14-6-2012 by biggmoneyme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

This debate seems to be as old as vegetarianism to begin with. Lets look at this from a very logical point of view. First, we know that a lot of mammals very similar to our biology and biological processes are herbivores. Keep in mind that these animals eat the majority of the day. Now, do ANY other mammals consume milk from their own species or any other species? www.notmilk.com... has many great articles about the subject. Honestly, people, including myself did not question this tradition of milk as a wholesome food. Eggs have plenty of nutrition and can be good but are also high in cholesterol. As for morals, I can understand why you would want to abstain from eating them. Realize though in 3 months time you are subjecting your body to an extreme change of diet. Cutting out Gluten in your diet is also a serious shock to your body. Not to say that you should not do this but maybe you should thing about a gradual change rather than "cold turkey". I am a vegan myself and have been for 3 years. I first cut out beef,pork,chicken etc. Then seafood. Then Dairy. Eggs. So on. It would also be a good idea to take a multivitamin for safety. vitamincodevitamins.com... Also fast food, frozen foods, processed foods, even if organic and vegan does not mean they are nutritious. Eat plenty of Organic fruits and vegetables. Hair loss is largely related to diet and STRESS. Learn to relax. As a paradox if you worry about hair loss you may just be triggering more hair loss. I am healthier than ever, mentally, physically, and spiritually after making more compassionate choices about my diet. Anyone who says that meat is ethical is a hypocrite unless they are equally apt to eat their own species. It's obvious that people who choose to eat meat do so for their own benefit and without regard for the planet or the plants and animals that suffer because of those choices.
Yes I went there.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Have read before that sodium lauryl sulfate which is in shampoos, if improperly used can cause rapid hair loss. SLS is also used in engine degreasers and is found in most all shampoos, liquid soaps, and detergents.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
the body needs protein, dawg

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Your hair falling out could be completely unrelated to your diet.

There have been several "incidents" lately where nuclear power stations had to do Emergency Shut downs of their nuclear reactors and vented radiation into the atmosphere during their Emergency shut downs.

My wife's cousin (20 yrs old) moved to Seattle and all her hair fell out. Either from Fukushima or releases from the nuclear reactors there.

Buy a geiger counter, you may have to move location.
edit on 14-6-2012 by Pervius because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join