It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VEGAN for 3.5 Months. Massive hair loss.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by angrysniper

I am NOT a bro!!!!

I'm female!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Whoa bro, no need to make off topic posts.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   

TextI will never go back to eating meat. But dairy and eggs? I don't know... I know the dairy industry is just as bad as the meat industry and I don't want to support it. And from everything I've heard and read about dairy, animal protein and cancer, I'm not too sure I want to go down that path.
reply to post by Tripple_Helix

So you stop eating properly because ? Then your hair starts falling out and you do not see the correlation in your diet and will refuse to go back to eating healthy because of moral issues . You absolutely should get use to the fact your going to be unhealthy and bald doing your so called healthy Vegan diet .

On a personal note life is not rocket science , some people come up with the idea eating meat is unhealthy and then they stretch it to all sorts of dairy and other products for moral issues . But the vast majority of these people that won't eat meat because it is wrong to kill animals have no problem with aborting a child . Wow good is bad and bad is good in this world and good luck with your split nails and baldness .

P.S. don't wear any leather won't want to piss off some cow , I think I will have steak and eggs for breakfast that is after I shave and clip my nails that both grow like wild fire.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Have you had your Thyroid checked?

Iodine!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Azadok2day

I do see the correlation with regards to my diet. What do you think I posted in my op? I am just stating that I feel guilty. I am considering eggs and dairy, as stated in my OP and in other posts. As it is less gross TO ME. I have never judged anyone who eats meat, dairy or whatever. I don't really have an opinion on abortion other than - If you cannot give a child a good life that it deserves, don't have children.

Well, I am glad you are in good health. Luckily I am not bald yet. Thick long curly hair so it's not that noticeable yet. But yes, I want to make a change to better my health.

Thanks for your post anyway.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Nice Post!

NOT!

Hope you never have to ask anyone for advice!

So according to your vast knowledge the majority of Vegetarian/Vegans have abortions or are pro-abortion? Sources?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I wonder if it isn't something other than calcium, maybe vitamin B-12. I did read somewhere that supplements with B12 and folic acid are no good as the folic acid destroys the B12. Not sure how true that is.

I also wonder what the difference is between B12 from animal sources vs B12 from vegetable sources.

So what does your body need the vitamin B12 for? Well this vitamin is essential for maintaining a healthy nervous system as well as being essential for the normal metabolic function of all your cells. Due to its importance for your system, your body has developed a way of recycling the vitamin from other sources in your body, such as bile, and is able to store it for up to six years.

If your body does such a good job in both the recycling and storing of this vitamin, you may then wonder how you can develop a deficiency of this vitamin. Generally a B12 vitamin deficiency is more likely to occur with people who have intestinal or stomach problems. Healthy intestines contain an enzyme which is needed for your body to absorb vitamin B12 and without this enzyme it is likely that you will develop a vitamin deficiency.

So whilst your hair loss may be a visible sign of something being wrong, there could be a more serious underlying medical condition that needs to be looked at and treated.

Source

Okay so, intestinal problems could cause B12 def. Maybe the lack of dairy as a pro biotic is causing all this upset...

edit on 14-6-2012 by Tripple_Helix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiser3

Nice Post!

NOT!

Hope you never have to ask anyone for advice!

So according to your vast knowledge the majority of Vegetarian/Vegans have abortions or are pro-abortion? Sources?

Absolutely we should seek out advice from one another , but really 2+2 is always four and the OP is just being plain silly by putting her health at risk for an egg or a cow which were put on this earth for are use in a humane manner. Like I wrote before and stand by it with plenty of experience with this subject due to my sons mother being a vegetarian then vegan . Her whole life she has attempted to achieve good health thru this life choice and has had health issues because of it. Ironically they never put the two together and blame other environmental factors.

And again the vast majority of vegans are very liberal and want to protect the animals but have no problem with abortion truly sad.

As far as sources go just google " vegan and abortion ". Page after page on the issue
edit on 09/06/2012 by Azadok2day because: Add a thought

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Congratulations for not eating meat

However, be VERY mindful of vitamin B12. Some types of cheese are a great vitamin B12 supplement so I would suggest looking into this. Yes I know you are vegan, but this is solid advice. I know someone who's been vegan for decades and everything was fine except for his B12(he's a senior now mind you). He was advised by a doctor to eat natural cheese for vitamin B12. He did and says he's not been as energetic in YEARS.

Take care and don't let taking it "too far" get in the way of common sense and your health.

EDIT:

I see you already caught on the right trail with your last post. B12 is DEFINITELY important. We have very, very, very, very little of it in our bodies but the amounts we have are so important that even if that fraction of a fraction is not there, we fall apart.
edit on 14-6-2012 by InfoKartel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by InfoKartel

Thank you

Your advice is much appreciated. This is why I came here to ask in the first place.
I will admit I have become "obsessed" with it in a way, which is not a good thing. It consumes every aspect of my life. I suppose I just need to be mindful of where I get my dairy products from.

Thanks again.
Keep well.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

I have a couple of veggan friends as well. They don't have health issues...well...take away about 8 different vitamins, subs and protien in pill form a couple of time per day and I think their story would be a bit different. That's gotta be heathy to substitue real meat with pills filled with artificial fillers. Where's the logic in that? Oh yeah, one thing about it, IMO, is marketing and selling pills.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
You need to talk with a nutritionist.

It's fine to adopt the vegan lifestyle but from the symptoms you're describing, you're not getting the nutrition that your body needs.

You need to make sure that on a daily basis you're getting the proper amounts of protein carbs and fats. You should also make sure that you take the appropriate vitamins and minerals.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I have stated here before, becoming Vegan can cause hair loss. That's why I will continue to eat meat.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Anyone who takes "supplements" discredits their "diet".

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tripple_Helix
It started as a medical reason, although I have never been a real big meat eater. I cut out all dairy, eggs, fish, poultry & meat. It has now turned into a moral issue for me.

A little while back, my hair started to fall out. I thought it was just an after effect of the anesthesia, or so people told me. Now I'm not so sure. If I can give you an indication of how much hair is falling out- If I roll it into a tight ball, it's a little bit smaller than a tennis ball... slightly larger than a golf ball. Now, it doesn't stop in the shower. All day long if I put my hands through my hair, about 10 strands come out each time.

It has also taken over 3 weeks for my nails to grow 2mm and some are splitting apart horizontally, yet, they are very hard and strong.

I will never go back to eating meat. But dairy and eggs? I don't know... I know the dairy industry is just as bad as the meat industry and I don't want to support it. And from everything I've heard and read about dairy, animal protein and cancer, I'm not too sure I want to go down that path.

I really do eat a balanced vegan diet. Lots of fruits, veggies at night, whole grains like rice and quinoa. Olive oil, coconut oil. I get protein from beans like soy, chickpeas etc.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
I also do occasionally take a B12 supplement, which comes from plant extracts.

I can't even imagine eating a little chicken egg... but I crave it. After 3 months though?! Should cravings not be gone by now?

So, I'm in a catch 22 here. There are people just waiting for me to fail at this and I would hate to prove them right. I want to eat in an ethical and kind way. But I also don't want to feel like I have failed, and make myself even more sick at the same time.

I have major stomach issues as well, so I am also gluten free since a week ago... Talk about cutting out major food groups.

Anyone with advice?

PS:

My nails used to grow at such a rapid rate that I could not have my nails done because they just grew too fast. Those nails normally last a woman about 2-3 weeks, mine lasted a week. So I'd say they grew about a cm per week and a half.

maybe its not your diet that causing your hair to fall out.

maybe its the fallout from fuskushima.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I never endorse Vegan due to the fact I've never met a HEALTHY one, sure thin in stature, but always has a cold and wear a sweater in 90 degrees

But all kidding aside, whats your blood type? Mine is type O- , I use to date a PURE vegan and it cause some hair fallout in me, I use to CRAVE meat and it felt like cheating sneeking out for MEAT
(I could the song 'Hungry Like the Wolf')

Later I found the type O blood is the meat eaters, the O means OLD BLOOD, its the oldest know blood type, and dates back to nomad man. In type O , you must eat red meat and white meat (BUT pork is a NONO) fish and lots of veggies but no grains and no dairy (except butter) no cabbage or brussels sprouts and it goes on and on so look up your blood type and go by the diet my hair loss ended (and grew back) I'm losing weight and I have TONS of energy.
Here's a link hope they and this helped

www.dadamo.com...

www.buzzle.com...
edit on 14-6-2012 by merkej23 because: error

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Anti-vegetarian thread? yeah they must be bad.. damaging the planets and stuff, those fat, high cholestrolled bastards!. I am a meatatarian, my mom is vegetarian and my dad is meatatrian(i followed my dad's foot steps
)

Real vegetarians eat Dairy and Egg, im not sure whats up with new vegetarian that don't eat eggs or dairy.

I understand some vegetarian avoid egg(not alive) but that is same as biting your nail and eating it or accidently swallowing one of million cheek cells in you mouth., imo.

Being a vegetarian means you need to watch what you eat, you need your intake of the essential nutrients.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I am vegetarian, but eat eggs. (not like they are fertilized and you are eating a possible baby here or anything). From the sounds of it you could just be low in protein or even iron. OR it could have absolutely nothing to do with it, have you had your thyroid tested? Try taking kelp supplements and biotin, that has helped when I was losing hair.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tripple_Helix
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

So you cut out both major sources of protein and calcium and you wonder why your nails wont grow?

Yeah, yeah, I guess that's 'funny'... I do eat Tat Soi, and other veggies rich in calcium but I guess it's not enough.

Your body needs certain things which plant material and pills wont provide.

I get you. I don't have loads of money for supplements and stuff each month. Things like hemp seeds, which are complete protein are about R120.00 per bag here in South Africa.

I'm thinking of adding free range eggs and maybe goats milk. Although I know many people will give me so much flak for it.

Tofu and Tat Soi are probably worse for you than the meat. Tofu is just wheat, and people are becoming more and more sensitive to wheat (gluten) allergies. You might be doing more harm than good. You could go get tested for Celiac's Disease to be sure.

You need a balanced diet. Others have already nailed what you need to do. Eat some fish, eat some egg whites. Eat some lean meats.

If you don't like the factory farms, buy local, buy organic, buy from someone you know, plant a garden, buy some chickens, etc. I have recently bought 12 chickens and planted a nice big garden. Last night I went outside, picked a bucket of Okra and had it for dinner. Last weekend we cooked 5 gallons of green beans. I buy local meat from local butchers. Last weekend of June I am paying $50 to go hunt feral pigs on a guys land, and I'll end up with enough organic pork to last me all year!! It is win-win, the hogs are a nuisance, they are wild, so they are pretty much organic, it saves me money, helps him with his problem, and gets the factory farms out of the equation!

If you hair is falling out, you need to take drastic and immediate measures!! Eat an egg white omelet and drink some Ensure and go see your doctor.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

If it's a moral issue, you can get food in most places that most would consider ethical, free range eggs, free range pork and beef, all natural, grazing, having a nice full life, same with chickens.

In fact, with the exception of a few items here and there, all of my meat, poultry, and eggs, are from a organic local source, and it's not that expensive either.

Your body is telling you something, maybe you aren't getting enough protein and minerals and need to add more supplements.

You can survive just fine on a totally vegan diet but you have to ensure you are getting the proper balance, this can be done with veg alone, but most opt for supplements.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join