It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Photo That Touches My Heart

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

There are 17 species of penguins. Only 5 live in the cold.

Thanks for sharing. After Japan's nuclear events I feel sorry for anything in the ocean, fish or foul.
Second verse same as the first.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Kaelem,
I posted the photo to my FB account. I gave KaelemJames as the photo credit. If this is not OK let me know and I'll remove it. Beautiful photo.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Icy roads, take me home
to the place, I belong
Antartica, mountain Momma
Take me home, Icy Roads
edit on 14-6-2012 by Jauk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
Considering the death rates of teeny penguins and those who make it to adulthood and are eaten by predators... Id say this guy has it pretty good. 3 fish and a refrigerated bathing pool. Sort of like Penguin heaven.

True. And i will re-quote myself.

Such a pity that in order to preserve some species, we have to imprison creatures such as this. Seems most unfair, seeing as it has been humans that have made all the choices that have put the animals in peril in the first place.

reply to post by baboo

No problem at all, I have no issue that you share my photo
And thank you for the compliment on my photo

Originally posted by nixie_nox
There are 17 species of penguins. Only 5 live in the cold.

Thank you for that info nixie_nox

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaelemJames

Originally posted by Advantage
Considering the death rates of teeny penguins and those who make it to adulthood and are eaten by predators... Id say this guy has it pretty good. 3 fish and a refrigerated bathing pool. Sort of like Penguin heaven.

True. And i will re-quote myself.

Such a pity that in order to preserve some species, we have to imprison creatures such as this. Seems most unfair, seeing as it has been humans that have made all the choices that have put the animals in peril in the first place.

reply to post by baboo

No problem at all, I have no issue that you share my photo
And thank you for the compliment on my photo

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: added

Im not speaking of anything humans have done to put anything in peril. They have natural predators, disease, periods of famine, and like almost all animals in the wild, "infant" mortality is high. This is simply life.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

So, survival of the fittest. But what if we did not interfere with nature? Just let it have been and do what it has always done.

They (animals) have survived it for thousands of years before, i guess they would do okay - if we leave nature to be. Every thing dies, that is the only sure thing. Man, at this rate, is speeding the process up.

Well, no matter. Nature is too strong for mankind. We may fool around with it but it will bite back, eventually.

Peace

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaelemJames

So, survival of the strongest.

They have made it for thousands of years before, i guess they would do okay - if we leave nature to be.

Well, no matter. Nature is too strong for mankind. We may fool around with it but it will bite back, eventually.

Peace

Heh, I figure Old Mother will be biting back sooner rather than later. Ive also been meaning to tell you for the last 2 posts that your pic really is interesting and evokes emotion in many as you can see in this thread. You have an eye... behind the gas mask.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Awwwwwwwww......... Thats IS sad....

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Thank you very much

She will definitely HIT BACK! You said it, and you know it.

Peace

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I think he's eyeing the pool with the slide over by those condos.
Nice pic, where there any other penguins or did they just have the 1?
Being social animals that would be very cruel indeed.
edit on 14-6-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

There were at least 8-10 penguins. Some were in their "rocky nests" and there were a couple swimming around, seeking attention, or loving it.

This guy could have very well been a newcomer? Asktheanimals, he just stood there on that same spot for minutes on end, without moving, just gazing outside. What he was looking at, i cannot say, but, he got into my soul.

I know they like standing, boasting. He/she was not boasting, putting his chest out or opening his wings. To me i felt sadness, but it is most probably cos i was emotional when i started taking notice.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by FIFIGI

The moment you free all those animals which are used to human contact, that have never hunted, is the day they die. No, scratch that. That's the day they become manhunters, then die. It is too late for almost all the animals in the zoos to function freely in nature, for all that they are wild animals.

reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

I prefer to go to preserves. Most of the animals roam quite freely. They can't do it with the predators, as much. Too dangerous.

reply to post by HoppedUp

Part of giving the old tom it's quazi-freedom like that is that:

1. they kill wildlife.
2. Many of them play chicken with car tires. (Seriously, lost a cat or two that way, as a kid).
3. Some human predators will kill them. (Dad grew up with boys that used to bury cats in the sand, then run them over with lawnmowers.)

Don't get me wrong, if a cat wants out of the house, it is cruel to keep them, but letting them go is just as cruel.

reply to post by nixie_nox

Amen.

The Asahiyama Zoo Penguins got too fat. They are now exercised in public.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I hate zoos, circuses, etc. I hate that we cage wild animals like they were so many stuffed animals. When I was young we used to go as a family and I couldn't stand it. What is it with people? They want to lock up people, animals, resources, money, grrrrr....

Wild life should be wild.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Don't mean to harden your heart or anything but look at whats in the rest of the photo and then what's outside. I would stare out there too because everything behind him is nothing but dullness.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I do not feel compassion for most human beings but I have for birds or bird-like mammals such as penguins

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by KaelemJames

Very touching photo, i think we can all relate to this..

Thanks for sharing

Peace

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Poor little guy.

I wonder if he would be begging to stay inside if he knew the amount of pollution out there?

I'm always glad to see compassion in any form, but I wonder how many of the people pining over this penguin's predicament are sitting down to a juicy steak at dinner time? It can be hard for an animal to find freedom from the middle of your stomach. Most times the animals we eat are magnitudes of times more intelligent and cognizant of their surroundings than penguins.

The disconnect amazes me sometimes, and I'm not saying I'm any better.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
haha great pic

hi little feller!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by KaelemJames

darn

i wasn't expecting that. makes me sad.

-subfab

new topics

top topics