It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Americans secretly racist?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

Seems Americans are not racist but the American culture has a left-over bad habit, picking on African-Americans as the blame for all social and economic problems, that needs a cultural equivalent of psychological counseling. But how do you counsel a culture?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
What do you expect when race is shoved in our faces constantly?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
If this thread has shown me anything it is that people need to lighten up and realize that as one posted said, we are all different and having someone acknowledge those difference does not make someone racist. People need to stop and remove that chip from their shoulders and understand that just because someone acknowledged that difference does not make them racist. It just makes them human and it is perfectly normal. Why must everything be considered racist? Its a convenient crutch to say someone judged you based on your race and it might be true but they could also just as easily judged you by your accent or the clothes you are wearing or the way you were acting. Why must it always be about race? I dont know a single white person that has blamed something on racism in regards to themselves but do you think we are not judged based on being white? Most people assume I cant play basketball or that I cant dance or that I cant be a 100m sprinter. I guarantee they are not basing that on my Khaki pants. There is a point where you have to step back and say "Oh they are saying that because its True". Not just because of my skin color whether that is where the basis came from or not. Hell I know that an Asian kid is probably better at math than me. Is it racist? Maybe. Is it true? Pretty good chance. Do you think the NBA is full of black guys for a reason? Hell yes.. Its because they are way more athletic. Sure some white guys can play ball, but they are the exception, not the rule. Just own it.. Why must it be a negative? Hell if you need your car worked on bring it to me.. I am not even a professional mechanic but I know my way around a Ford V8. Is it only because I am white? Probably not but culturally I was exposed to race cars and race tracks growing up. Not a big black contingent at those things. Is that racist? Probably not. Thats probably more cultural but its still true none the less. The line is blurry but it doesnt always have to be a negative. Its all about perception sometimes and having just a little thicker skin and maybe stepping back and thing about the "intent" of a statement or action.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Are Americans secretly racist?,

Secretly? No. Some people are racist and don't know it. Some people think they aren't racist and fight for minority rights, but in reality are really racist against non-minorities. Some people play the race card a lot and MISPLAY it, saying there is racism where there isn't. That makes them kind of OCD with race. But is America 'secretly' racist? No.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
secretly ? AHAHAHAHAHA You have to be kidding me hombre.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Ha,ha,ha,the mongrel race racist,oh the irony.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

I will say that the majority of black people I know are racist....

Just sayin..

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Why does the media coverup BLACK ON WHITE CRIME?

WHY NO OUTRAGE WHEN WHITE KIDS and Hispanic children are murdered by Blacks?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
The US as a country state is founded upon systematic racial genocide and enslavement - there simply has to be a social impact festering from this because of how swept under the rug it is - I think it explains perfectly the country's foreign politics.

The collective subconscious guilt is overwhelming and glaringly obvious to all outside observers.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I'll admit, my job has made me a bit more racist than I ever have been before, and most of it pertains to those stupid Wisconsin rednecks that come in all the time when I'm working (I work at a gas station, just scraping by through college). But I've sadly come to note how many customers fall right into the lame stereotypes based upon ethnicity that I can't help but find some hilarity in. I think it just has a lot to due with cynicism and boredom, but its an observation about myself that I've come to notice.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I think that with the exception of the deep south most blacks are more racist than mainstream white people. From Michelle Obama feeling proud of her country for the first time (when BHO was embraced by non-racist or guilt ridden "whitey") to the usually Republican, Fox Business Network commentator, Charles Payne saying he would vote (democrat) for her husband just because he was black (half anyway). I didnt hear any prominent white people say that they would not vote for BHO because he was black (altho that would certainly be considered politically incorrect but we tolerate the reverse attitude). Reverse discrimination (which is what Affirmative Action is beyond an immediate remedial time frame) is still racism. Blacks endorse it for the most part because they are then a favored class with the government. The NBA had better hope that some white guys dont sue for representation based on percent of the population rather than on merit.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ihsahn
I'll admit, my job has made me a bit more racist than I ever have been before, and most of it pertains to those stupid Wisconsin rednecks that come in all the time when I'm working (I work at a gas station, just scraping by through college). But I've sadly come to note how many customers fall right into the lame stereotypes based upon ethnicity that I can't help but find some hilarity in. I think it just has a lot to due with cynicism and boredom, but its an observation about myself that I've come to notice.

Another common misconception among folks. They think that the less exposure you have, the more likely you are to be racist, but that is exactly the opposite. Sure, some stupid things like racist jokes might be more common, but they aren't meant hatefully. Someone can't truly be racist until they have had adequate exposure to the opposite race to really understand all the annoying, stereotypical habits of that other race!

I agree with you about the stupid rednecks, even though I might fit that description from time to time.

The more exposure one has to all the different stereotypical actions, the more they learn what is interesting and what is just annoying.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
We been taught to conform from early on. Odds are most if not all of us struggle even now with some subliminal pressure to notice the "differences" around us. All the differences. Class, status, education, religion, etc. These differences divide us. That is part of the reason we were all taught to conform so that we fight amongst each other and remain divided.

The media continues our "education" and plays on these indoctrinated differences so that we remain divided and unable to form a union that might threaten the paradigm (them).

They especially play "race".

Plus we are bombarded by all the media to place "value" on how things appear. Rather than value a person for their heart or honesty or commitment, we judge them in a heart beat on how they "look".

Our values are emotionally based on shallow surface traits and love of money, things and self (ego). Anyone that doesn't look like us or go our way is "wrong" and we love to hate whats wrong with the world, don't we?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I sometimes find other cultures interesting, sometimes not. But never use it as an excuse to start attacking them.

Why don't we all just get along?

The problems are usually on both sides of the fence at some point, and sometimes problems are deliberately made from just one side of the fence. Its when one or both sides start stereotyping, blaming, accusing, insulting, cursing or blatantly attacks the other that is always wrong and only furthers the excuse for hating the another race. With this sort of behaviour nothing get solved, instead it only entrenches the problems between races.

Anyone that thinks they have the right to have a go at anyone without justification, or because of what they have been told about them (but not actually experienced), are plain stupid. We need to confront our ignorance, and actually get to know people as they encounter them, so as to understand what they are about, get to know them, and challenge our own pre-conceptions/ignorance with the reality of who a person/s is/are. It's something I choose to do, because as a minority myself (gay), I recognise that all people really want in life is to be understood for who they are and what they are about.

If people say they don't like having things "rammed down their throat", then they are choosing to be ignorant and potentially hateful towards those things, because they do not value it, fine, just get on with your life; live and let live. I could turn around and say that I hate having "heterosexuality" rammed down my throat 24/7 every day of my life, but it is a fact of life - it isn't going to go away - and I just get on with it, its just an aspect of the rich tapestry of life.

All cultures have something to say about life. Some things you agree with, others you don't.

But when you or they trample the basic human rights of anyone else, then you are both very wrong.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Maybe if we started to look at each other as simply fellow Human Beings, things might actually get a whole lot easier.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

It's not AMERICANS that are secretly racist it's EVERYONE that is secretly and sometimes not so secretly racist. Take for example the term LA RAZA in spanish it means THE RACE.... As in the only race that has the right to exist in their eyes. Germans and brits well pfft don't get me started cough INDIA cough Muslim Immigrants Cough cough... gee sorry I seem to have a cold. Anyway I find these posts that seek to subtly demonize americans as some backwards thuggish group of people to be laughable in their simplistic viewpoints and Libtard talking points that say OH the rest of the world isn't like this it's just Americans that do all these bad things.

How about you all Grow the **** up and look around and realize that the reason there's stereotypes is because people really do act like that sometimes and when they do YOU CAN GET HURT.

The backlash against "hiphop" "culture" is NOT ABOUT BEING RACIST it's about people being sick of bad behavior and gun play being considered acceptable and killing mostly innocent people. Because god only knows No one actually AIMS in a drive by.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dero
Hell I'm racist, so chalk me up to the 1% that is man enough to admit it. Stereotypes exist for a reason.

See a black person acting like a human being? I think "eh". See a black person acting like an they're fresh out of a worldstar hip hop video? "yep, that's par for the course", probably going to die of AIDS.

I also dislike whites and latinos. Asians I don't mind too much, except for Singaporeans- some of them are muslim and I just don't trust those people.

EMBRACE DIVERSITY? HAH! Not in anyone's lifetime. We're different for a reason.
edit on 13-6-2012 by Dero because: (no reason given)

Well, what race are you?

Want to decide if I like you are not,

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
NO everyone is not racist, nope, why are some of you insisting this is true?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Racist and prejudice are two different things. Everyone has prejudice in some sense because we've all had exposure to the different stigmas attached to each race. As a Caucasian, I'd be much more nervous if I were sitting in an empty parking lot and a few African-Americans were walking toward or in close proximity to my car, than I would be if it were a few Caucasians. I have prejudice because of past experiences as well as my exposure to the stigma attached to African-Americans. But I don't think my self superior to, or anymore valuable than a minority. I would never hold a white in higher regards than a black because of race, and you will never hear a racial slur out of my mouth because I'm not a racist.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by RightInTwo

80% of the people in my neighborhood are black.

I just found out that the guys across the street are NOI, I am so itching to start a conversation with them,

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join