It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Americans secretly racist?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Yahoo recently ran an article suggesting that based on polls, numbers and analysis, Americans may secretly be racist. Most of the study focused on data from our most recent presidential election to current and bashed it against data prior to 2008.

In order to figure out whether racial bias affected Barack Obama's results in the 2008 presidential election, Seth Stephens-Davidowitz, a doctoral candidate in economics at Harvard University, passed over easy-to-manipulate surveys and looked at data from another source: online searches.

Are Americans secretly racist?

The guy leading the study, Seth Stephens-Davidowitz, Economic doctoral candidate at Harvard University, suggested the racial disparity in voting gave Obama's opponents clear advantages in many cases.

Though many people believe that our first African-American president won the election thanks in part to increased turnout by African-American voters, Stephens-Davidowitz's research shows that those votes only added about 1 percentage point to Obama's totals. "In the general election, this effect was comparatively minor," he concludes. But in areas with high racial search rates, the fact that Obama is African American worked against him, sometimes significantly.

And he ends with some ominous notes for the upcoming presidential election:

What does this mean for this year's contest? "Losing even two percentage points lowers the probability of a candidate's winning the popular vote by a third," Stephens-Davidowitz explains. "Prejudice could cost Mr. Obama crucial states like Ohio, Florida and even Pennsylvania."

Obama will be in for a rough ride come November 2012.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Everyone it's racist. No group of people is exempt.

Anyone may claim they're not, but they'd be lying.

I'm racist. All it took was exposure to crime.

Incidentally, I wasn't raised that way.
edit on 6/12/2012 by disgustingfatbody because: ADDED CONTENT

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by disgustingfatbody

Basically, we are a product of our environment. And depending on which environment we are in, dictates the severity of it.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

In my experience,Americans seem to be passive aggressive racist. They will claim otherwise, but if you ask them, they will tell you they have a "black" president.

+30 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Just a study to justify Obama losing in November.

He won't lose on his performance.
He won't lose on his record on the economy.

Oh lordy no.

It's because he's black.

Idiots!

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I would say we stereotype more than just flat being racist. For instance, if I see a black kid with his pants hanging down, corn rows, a colored hankie hanging out of his back pocket and he is walking like he got injured in some war, I automatically assume he is going to talk like a thug gangsta and I assume he is either carrying drugs or just up to no good in general. But by the same token a white kid dressed the same and trying to act "black", I would assume the same so I dont know if it is truly racist or just stereotyping and whether people like it or not they are judged by how they act and dress most of the time so in my opinion. If people dont want to be judged or stereotyped then dont dress the part.

But the biggest group that screams racism and keeps racism alive are the minorities but I am probably racist for saying that.
edit on 12-6-2012 by TheTardis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I thought this whole America is racist thing would stop after Obama became president. After all, the majority in this nation are “white” and Obama was voted in by majority.

Boy was I wrong.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

I hate these threads.

OF COURSE we are racist! We have to be. There are exceptions, but in general we are more comfortable around things we understand. Kids from the projects don't understand people in the Hamptons, and kids from the suburbs don't understand the gang culture, and so on and so on. SO, when we encounter something we don't fully understand, we put our guard up. It is perfectly natural. We are genetically and socially engineered to be racist as part of our survival instincts.

NOW, we are also intelligent, and we can overlook our first impressions and we can judge people as individuals, and I might have 2 dozen very close friends from another race, but if I get lost on Murder Row in New Orleans, I'm still going to be scared of the gang culture of the other race, and if some kid from the projects goes into a Bank of America downtown, he will still be intimidated by the white men in suits.

Black Families, and White Families, and Latino Families, and Asian Families are all raised up differently from one another. The cultures are different. It is just part of life.

As for the "secret" part. I hate it. People I know will tap their hands and make a sour face to indicate someone of another color, and nobody considers them racist? Whereas I will speak openly about the facts of the issues, and people will accuse me of being racist. The PC crowd is all backwards. They have no idea who is actually racist and who is not racist.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by disgustingfatbody

I don't agree with that. I'm not a racist and me not liking someone different than me does not make me a racist.

However, I don't believe that I'm fully sold on stereotype as being bad, sometimes I think its just a negative spin that MSM has put on experience. I honestly believe they are trying to keep us fighting amongst ourselves hence always the news stories about hate and race crimes. I don't recall the last time that any news story broke about mixed race working together.

If you are a cop and 20,000 of your colleagues in the US have been shot down by white kids wearing a pink polo shirts last year during traffic violations? You would be rather dumb to overlook those numbers on your next routine stop especially when its a white kid wearing a pink polo shirt.

I'm not saying its right or wrong but I can also see where experience can lead one to do things differently or take extra precautions without being a racist. If anything the MSM and the entertainment industry are the ones that are truly stereo typing groups of people in a form of racism. Unlike the cop who has valid concerns to take the extra precaution Hollywood and the MSM feed you the stereo types without the actually experiencing it.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I think more accurately, most people are ethnocentric and not racist. It is the belief that our own particular culture "has it right". I think racism is more of an extreme. Just my two cents.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheTardis
I would say we stereotype more than just flat being racist. For instance, if I see a black kid with his pants hanging down, corn rows, a colored hankie hanging out of his back pocket and he is walking like he got injured in some war, I automatically assume he is going to talk like a thug gangsta and I assume he is either carrying drugs or just up to no good in general. But by the same token a white kid dressed the same and trying to act "black", I would assume the same so I dont know if it is truly racist or just stereotyping and whether people like it or not they are judged by how they act and dress most of the time so in my opinion. If people dont want to be judged or stereotyped then dont dress the part.

But the biggest group that screams racism and keeps racism alive are the minorities but I am probably racist for saying that.

Stereotyping in regard to race is called 'racism.'

It's as easy as that.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

I'm not a racist and me not liking someone different than me does not make me a racist.

Yes you are. WE all are, stop playing into their PC bullcrap.

If you walk up to a city park, and you see it is 100% black, and there are black things going on, whips on rims, bass blasting through the park, older black women in their big sunday get ups and hats, 50 people with the same purple t-shirt for someone's family reunion, a bunch of lanky muscular teens and men with tattoos playing basketball, you;re little white ass is there with your two daughters wanting to have a picnic, you are going to think it over a time or two, and possibly even leave. BUT, if you go into the same crowd, all white, in cargo shorts, SUV's, no music, or light country or pop music, pasty fat white guys trying to play basketball, then you are not going to be intimidated whatsoever, and you won't give it a second thought.

If the roles were reversed, the black family would do the same thing. They might feel perfectly comfortable in a loud all black environment, but they might feel really uncomfortable in an all-white environment with people curiously staring their way, standing next to their pick up trucks, drinking PBR.

Nobody means any harm buy it, but it is just our nature.
edit on 12-6-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

I think, to a small degree, everyone is prejudiced. That, however, does not make everyone racist (even slightly).

In other words, i think this is total rubbish but an interesting topic for discussion.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

What size city do you live in? I ask because from the example, it sounds like lack of exposure to diversity is the problem. I grew up in NYC and there were far more ethnicity in our park at the same time than just the two examples you gave.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I totally disagree,

I am color blind when it comes to race. In fact, there are a lot of people like this. To me, The only racists, are the people who inject race into an argument and come out with phony race baiting polls like so.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
People seem to think they are better than other people and it is the point of most peoples lives to be pathetic like that.People have to hate. they hate people depending on the area they live in the city, the type of clothes people wear, the music they listen to, their favourite sports team. their physical stature, skin colour, language, style, religion, political views etc.

Tell a white self proclaimed athiest, and non-racist that a black man can make better love to his wife better than he could ever. Or that Middle eastern, islamic, muslims are the future race of great humans and we should adopt some of their teachings. Tell him that mexicans are better workers and white women love latin men. Even tho what I said is just opinion it was enough to make people physically angry.

The point? You are not special. They are millions of people better than you, better looking, faster, richer etc. and most of them are not your skin colour. Get over it.

edit on 12-6-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unrealised

Originally posted by TheTardis

Stereotyping in regard to race is called 'racism.'

It's as easy as that.

So because I can tell that someone is exactly the way they want me to think they are then I am racist? Your telling me that some gangsta guy with his crips or bloods towel hanging out of their pocket doesn't want me to be afraid of him and doesn't want me to assume he is a gang member? How is it racist if I assume EXACTLY what they want me to assume? I am going to need some explanation here? How is that not just poor judgment on their part and good perception on mine? So with that said, if that same gang member wants me to know he is a gang member and I cross the street because I stereotyped him and I want to make sure my family is safe that makes me racist? I think that just makes me smart. I am sorry but everyone on this planet knows from a young age that they are going to somewhat be judged on their appearance. Its a fact of life so someone that knowingly dresses or acts a certain way knows exactly how it will be perceived and in doing so is looking for a certain response. So crying racism after you get exactly the response you were after is race baiting and stupid.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
reply to post by getreadyalready

What size city do you live in? I ask because from the example, it sounds like lack of exposure to diversity is the problem. I grew up in NYC and there were far more ethnicity in our park at the same time than just the two examples you gave.

Those were the two extremes to prove my point. Of course if someone walks up to a homogenized park, they won't have the same reaction as they would if they were going to stand out as the only anomaly.

I grew up in a very small, all-white town, but now I live in a town where I am the minority. I've been on both ends of that scenario many times. We have a very cool Reggae Club here in my town that is open after the other clubs close, and I have been the only white guy with about 1000 black folks there on many nights. I also have a good friend in an all-black fraternity, and I have DJ'd their parties, and hung out with the frat many, many times. I have also been the asshole that brings his black friend to an all redneck party, and I was the first guy from my school to date a black girl and bring her around my friends and family. Now, don't get me wrong, I prefer white folks by far, and I'm married to a white woman now, but I still have plenty of black friends, and I can take their culture in the right doses when I am prepared for it.

Naive racism is the best racism.
I know plenty of racist people that realize they are racist and they are open about it, and I also know plenty that think they are not racist, but in reality they are the worst ones.

We had a beautiful roommate/nanny living with us last year, and she was mixed race. She is modeling now, and she just got her first nationwide magazine spread. Even the racists would admit she was gorgeous. A good friend of mine was talking with her one day at our barbeque, and they got on the subject of sex, and he said he wouldn't want any from her. She asked why, and he said, "because you're black." She laughed (she doesn't get rejected ever), and she asked me if he was joking. I said no. We were drinking, having a good time, but she was totally flabbergasted. She kept trying to push the issue, and we kept having fun with it, and of course he enjoyed all the flirting, but he was absolutely not interested in any way, simply because she was black. Now compare that with the old white-women that I work with who are super nice to everyone's face, and would never say a bad word about them, but as soon as they walk away they frown and whisper to each other.

The secret racism and naive racism is the worst kind. I actually appreciate a straight up open and honest racist.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I agree with those who say that we're all a bit racist, whether we like it or not, or whether we even KNOW it or not. But there is a difference... Some people know it and fight it, and others know it and resign themselves to it or even willingly embrace it. Others still don't know it or aren't even aware of it. But if you're raised in the US, there's a really good chance that there is a racist bone in your body.

I am a person who knows it and fights it. I know I was raised in a racist society by racist parents who were doing their very best to do the right thing... But now that I know the truth, I fight racist thoughts and feelings in myself, knowing that they come from a place of ignorance and fear.

When I'm in the mood to give the human race the benefit of the doubt, I tend to think that we're not "secretly" racist, but more likely "unknowingly" racist.

I heard a statistic recently on the surge in white supremacist groups since Obama's presidency. :shk:

US sees surge in white supremacists

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeoStarchild
I totally disagree,

I am color blind when it comes to race. In fact, there are a lot of people like this. To me, The only racists, are the people who inject race into an argument and come out with phony race baiting polls like so.

I hope you are joking?

NOBODY IS COLOR BLIND to race. That is the most stereotypical PC bullshyte that ever gets repeated.

So, if you are walking out to your car late one night, and a middle-aged white guy, and a middle-aged black guy are standing near the two paths you have to choose between, and they are dressed pretty much the same, and you have to make a choice, and all other things are equal, you are not going to choose the path with the white guy? Even black folks will choose the path with the white guy! Prisons are not full of white guys. Life experience, statistics, and your natural instincts will all tell you to pick the path with the white guy, and if you don't then you are just playing up to some PC crap and putting yourself at extra risk for no reason.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join