It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Websites Will Be Forced To Identify Trolls

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

One persons brilliant poster is another persons troll.
I see this supposed new rule to be impossible to judge properly or enforce.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
this has nothing to do with petty bickering on websites.

this is to target very serious abuse of people on the internet. bullying too , i would imagine.

there have been some shocking cases over the last few years

an example would be people setting up facebooks sites for kids who have died and spend their time posting abuse on it. its some really messed up and sick stuff.

www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 12-6-2012 by lacrimaererum because: (no reason given)

I agree, the article is disgustingly over the top and designed to incite outrage. Great example of trolling, thanks for referencing it.
edit on 12-6-2012 by JailTales because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

This is what they will use to destroy anonymity on the internet. If the internet hurts your feelings you should maybe do something else. Trolls happen... I think most people troll here and there if you look at it in the broad sense of it all. Freedom of speech does not need to be infringed upon though. If you are too weak minded to ignore idiots and go and off yourself because random strangers pick on you I say go for it or grow up. In reality its a dog eat dog world out there just imagine what things will be like if shtf people are going to openly abuse and murder people this illusion of security could be destroyed in the blink of an eye and the weak souls out there will just suffer horribly.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
i mentioned facebook as an example. it happens on all sites.

i dont really care what they do.

i do think it would be good to try and stop abuse on the internet that is causing kids to kill themselves and also the abuse of families who have lost love ones that are then abused on the internet.

like i said this is not your usual trolling or bitching. this is serious abuse they are trying to tackle.

i think people now just like objecting to any suggestions to improve society just for the sake of whinging.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

"Serious abuse", like words?

What ever happened to "sticks and stones"? Of course, if there is slander or libel, then that already has legal recourse.

It is not hte law I fear, but the future misuse of the law and the need to actually create a law. As has been said, "Once free men need laws, they are no longer fit for freedom". Why concede this?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
But this doesn't even logically make sense. People are anonymous on the Internet; this means that they are not technically being defamed, but their virtual Internet caricature, a concept that's every bit as ludicrous as those folks that wanted to try to get video gamers tried for war crimes.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

news.sky.com

Websites will be legally obliged to provide victims with the identity of people who post abusive and defamatory online messages about them under plans by the Government.

Glen Oglaza said the reforms have widespread support across the parties, so the Bill should make its progress through Parliament pretty quickly.

The power to ask for anonymous identities to be revealed are intended to give individuals an avenue of redress should they be subject to defamatory comments online.
(visit the link for the full news article)

What i find interesting is the "victims" are also "anonymous" so the "suspects" aren't intentionally "defaming" anyone, they are defaming another anonymous "avatar" or "name1234"...how does someone claim damages or defamation of an anonymous character? In terms of facebook there seems to be a bit more clarity but in almost every other social venue on the internet people can make-up whoever they are and whatever they are about...

If someone were to "troll" me right now, how do I claim they "defamed" me the real life person when absolutely no one here knows me as anything other than "sly1one"...

this is absurd...

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
People calling me a troll is trolling!

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I see this possibly as a good thing, depending on how you use it.

Might be a good way for comments to be heard that would go otherwise ignored. I know I have many times stated something knowing damn well the intended target would never see it, that may now change.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
The real problem will be for the paid trolls that work for the gov are the ones we really want targeted and they will just come back classified, but the rest of us will rot for some stupid inebriated rant that offended some extremist.

Or at least that is what will probably get me

edit on 12-6-2012 by eazyriderl_l because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
As I've just posted in a couple of places already:

Being a troll is "one who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message
board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument."

While what people are concerned about is threats. Threats are FELONIES. In other words, already covered by the law.

edit on 12-6-2012 by SibylofErythrae because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

To me...they are promoting this...to help stop online bullying...perhaps if the victims are allowed to know who is cyber-abusing them; then they can legally prosecute and be able to defend themselves and their rights.

Also...maybe...suicides as a result of online bullying....will lessen and/or stop...when the victimized person is allowed to defend themselves against someone... when they are allowed to know the abuser's name.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Or just make everyone use their real name etc I bet all the 12 year old trolls would stop being trolls if people could find em.
Face to face most trolls would crap themselves if they knew their victim knew who they were.

Oh and I don't think it's just normal trolls I think it's the people who target people constantly a bit like a cyber stalker not like you Danbones your a little troll

(Sorry Danbones Iam trolling again
luv you really
)

You are equating the old sticks and stones adage with actual physical force? People who "cyber stalk" is a different matter and as far as i am aware harassing on the internet is no different than harassment elsewhere but trolling on the internet is the responsibility of the site owner. Another odd new internet occurrence is "anyone who does not agree with me is a troll."

Some people have unorthodox viewpoints and perspectives too, but if it was not for these unorthodox viewpoints we would still be writing on stone.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
What do they define a "troll" as?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Internet is inherently different than many other means of communication.

Most of the time, to communicate on the internet requires consent of both parties. If someone bothers you, there is nothing easier than to stop visiting the page or block the user. Therefore most of the time it is the CHOICE of the "victim" to be annoyed.

Because of this fact, trolling and inflamatory, abusive or insulting speech should be completely legal when on the internet.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

fair enough. you obviously dont think we need to improve things.

any change is a personal attack on your freedom.

fine.

i just find it odd people on here are attacking something that is simply trying to protect vunerable people.

why do people here want to have the right to bully and attack people on the internet? why?

en.wikipedia.org...
www.truecrimereport.com...
www.dailymail.co.uk...
au.ibtimes.com...
articles.baltimoresun.com...
articles.baltimoresun.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Back during the flame wars we became known as internet performance artists to avoid just such legislation.
We are Anonymous.
Expect us.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

Vulnerable people may wish to avoid pointed and intense argument.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
As much as some posters p##s me off I insist they remain free to do so without such a repercussion about hurtful feelings
Perhaps a simple old Army report would do:
www.militaryreligiousfreedom.org...
We don't need such "thought crime" efforts and those who dislike me on this board would no doubt agree.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romekje
Only bad will come of this..

They target "trolls" now (which LOOKS good), everyone else later.

Yeah, and what would the government definition be of 'troll': Anyone that anonymously speaks out against a government, a pending law, and just everything anti-government.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join