It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban "Birthers"?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Please, most you people that use the term do so to be mean spirited.

I use it to define the group I'm addressing.

If you have a better term to use that will describe that group of people and that everyone will recognize, let's hear it.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Or maybe some of you are a wee bit over sensitive.

As outkast has asked now, several times, WHAT WOULD YOU RATHER THE TERM BE?
edit on 10-6-2012 by W3RLIED2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
This thread has nothing to do with the word birther. Its got to do with wanting to start over without baggage they have created for themselves. Sort of the corporate way of renaming itself to act like they are something new. Blackwater/Xe. Still the same just a different name and hopeing people will forget there past. Birthers Orly Taitz/ Donald Trump. Same people they just hope they can change the name birther to act like they are someone else and start over. People should think about what happens when you associate your self with someone or put someone forward as your leader. It might just haunt you and ruin any chances you have of being taken seriously.

And you can't blame someone else for your own bad choices. Start calling out the people who give birthers a bad name. Police yourself to protect the image or rebuild it.
edit on 10-6-2012 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I have never been disrespectful to you, OS.

If I don't like the term, maybe people that use it could respect my opinion.

GB

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Still no answer as to a better word to be used in place of birther.

Shocking.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
It not about a new term its about not using a specific term to deride people. Keep it on topic

See how these people want to derail the thread. This is exactly what they do in obama threads. they nitpick with irrelevant questions or comments You guys have said your piece now move on or are you going to repeat same thing for the next 30 pages?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2

Or maybe some of you are a wee bit over sensitive.

As outkast has asked now, several times, WHAT WOULD YOU RATHER THE TERM BE?
edit on 10-6-2012 by W3RLIED2 because: (no reason given)

If you have ever read any of my post you will notice I seldom say anything, even when people personally attack me.

I almost always ignore it, no I wouldn't say I am overly sensitive about it on the forum, that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I don't beat dead horses.
edit on 073030p://bSunday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
No, don't ban them.

They're soooooo entertaining. It's like watching Jersey Shore with stupid rich people.

Everyone gets freedom of speech, even if it makes them sound like idiotic blowhards.
edit on 10-6-2012 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

You use they a little too, ubiquitously.

I don't even participate in political threads and am trying to derail nothing. You want to ban a word from this web sight, you need to provide some sound logic and reason behind it, aside from the fact that it runs you the wrong way.

People have called me a pedophile, a satanist, and a terrorist among other things, and that just in the secret societies forum.

Why don't you just grow up and deal with it?

And I will drag this out for 30, 40 pages if you continue to accuse people who disagree with you of trolling and derailing. Those are troll tactics, fellow member. Disagreeing respectfully is one of the foundations of this web site.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I enjoy reading your posts most of the time, Storm. We've interacted in threads before constructively.

Is there something you think would be better to replace this word? Honestly?

This is a trigger subject for me. We should strive to minimize censorship wherever we can. Sometimes you just gotta deal with some things you don't like.

I understand that political threads tend to degrade into bash sessions... Hence the reason I stay out of them. But banning a word will change nothing. It will only set a precident that if some one gets butt hurt, they can bitch about it and swing the ban hammer.

Thats not a constructive solution to a very, very minor problem.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

reply to post by hawkiye

You use they a little too, ubiquitously.

I don't even participate in political threads and am trying to derail nothing. You want to ban a word from this web sight, you need to provide some sound logic and reason behind it, aside from the fact that it runs you the wrong way.

People have called me a pedophile, a satanist, and a terrorist among other things, and that just in the secret societies forum.

Why don't you just grow up and deal with it?

And I will drag this out for 30, 40 pages if you continue to accuse people who disagree with you of trolling and derailing. Those are troll tactics, fellow member. Disagreeing respectfully is one of the foundations of this web site.

I have explained it in the OP what part do you not understand? . Also in subsequent posts. Just because you don't agree does not mean it has not been explained. And it doesn't matter what forum you participate in you are trolling this thread and saying you will continue for 30 or 40 pages. Really? if you have no dog in this fight why do you insist you will drag it out?

After your opening post on this thread called birthers idiots morons and baffoons and then tried to pass it off as a joke trying to act like you are respectfully disagreeing is the joke...
edit on 10-6-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Quote me where I used any of those words. Liar.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Keep on keepin on.

You are so unbelievably wrong it's laughable.

Until I get banned for trolling, you're stuck with me for the next 30 or 40 pages.

And yes I have a dog in this fight. It's called censorship, and it's UN necessary. Just because your butt hurts doesn't mean the ban hammer should fall.

Grow up.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

reply to post by hawkiye

Quote me where I used any of those words. Liar.

Your right i confused with with one of your fellow posters... Sorry

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Apology accepted.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

There is however censorship on the forum, in other forms as well. It is privately owned, and they make the rules.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Which is why I used the word minimize.

Hey, if the staffers read this thread and decide that banning the word is necessary, then so be it. I'll accept that and move forward. But more censorship is definitely not the answer.

As long as members aren't throwing racial slurs at each other or turning to personal insults and attacks, I am all for heated discussion. People can get heated about a topic and still remain within TCs. Just because I am opposed to banning words doesn't mean I'm trolling, it means I don't agree with banning words.
edit on 10-6-2012 by W3RLIED2 because: Punctuation

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Have you ever heard the phrase "Don't give me a problem, give me a solution"???

Without presenting a solution to your little problem here...it just sounds like a rant.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by hawkiye

Have you ever heard the phrase "Don't give me a problem, give me a solution"???

Without presenting a solution to your little problem here...it just sounds like a rant.

I have already presented the solution its the same solution as with dozens of other derogatory words on this site. I am not obligated to provide you with an alternative label if you are prevented from using your derogatory term so you can continue to politically troll. Its simple treat people with respect and quit trying to pretend you do not use the word in a derogatory manner.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Okay...here's the deal.
I looked at the thread used to discuss acceptable political debate.

Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

If you read through it, you will find this:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
From this moment forward, the following rules apply throughout all of ATS:

(1) Politically inspired name calling of an ideological group is not allowed: examples: "Loonie Libs," "Obamaites," "Repuglicans," etc.

There are 4 specific phrases I wouldn't mind clear, no gray area site policy on, since they all have political leanings:

1) "Birthers"

2) "Truthers"

3) "Obamacare"

4) "Neocons"

If you get a chance SO or Springer, thanks.

and here is SO's answer:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
If you get a chance SO or Springer, thanks.

Those are generally popular terms in the widely used lexicon.

However, "Obamacare nutters," or "Birther loons" would be examples of the type of modifications that would not be allowed.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join