It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban "Birthers"?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Why are you ignoring a very simple and relevant question???

What would you like everyone to call the group of people that question Obama's place of birth or the validity of his Birth Certificate???

If you want the term "Birthers" banned...what do you suggest people use instead of that term? If people want to address the group of people who question Obama's birth place/birth certificate...how would you have them address that group of people???

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
No one has ever said something like Gee Birthers are a great bunch of people fighting for truth justice and the american way. etc.

Why would anyone say that, when that is NOT what they are doing? They avoid the truth, are not interested in justice and do not want the American way!

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2

Baloney that is your opinion and you guys can't seem to express it without a derogatory label attached. I never said I can ban anything but ATS can and do ban what ever they want its a private board get over it.

It is a private board.

What makes you think you can dictate what the 3 amigos should or shouldn't ban? Pfft.

The only one that needs to get over anything, is you, hawkiye. It's just a word. Let it go, and leave the politics alone for a bit.

See this is what we get. Nowhere am I dictating anything in fact my post specifically stated that I had no power to change anything and ATS was all powerful in what they decide to do. Yet this poster felt it necessary to make a post accusing me of something I did not do and in fact the exact opposite of what I stated and then attacks me over his lie. This is the type of person I am talking about.

There are lots of words already banned on this site for the express purpose of keeping the BS to a minimum for site decency and decorum etc. why aren't you guys complaining about all those words being banned and crying free speech free speech? Simple because your trolling this thread now because your arguments don't hold water and you want to inflame me to try and get back at me.

edit on 10-6-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

What the type of ATS member who doesn't want BS rules ruining what's left of a decent chat board?

Let me show you how the alert button works. You want hear from a mod? Here ya go.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

It absolutely has a negative connotation.

And actually a while back I thought they were told to knock it off, but it has not been enforced.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

There is a recent one, I will see if I can find it.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2
reply to post by hawkiye

What the type of ATS member who doesn't want BS rules ruining what's left of a decent chat board?

Let me show you how the alert button works. You want hear from a mod? Here ya go.

Yeah because if you can't use the term birther to deride someone that will ruin what is left this site... Sigh! Wow there you have it folks these guys cherish their ability to back door name call politically troll and inflame someone and get away with it in the name of free speech because it does not directly violate the T&C.
edit on 10-6-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by hawkiye

It absolutely has a negative connotation.

And actually a while back I thought they were told to knock it off, but it has not been enforced.

Thank you! and that link you posted says it all they specifically use the term to get a reaction out of people and for no other purpose.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

As most of you know, the election cycle here in the United States in about to go into overdrive.

So, too, will the passionate debate (if one can call it that currently...) here on ATS over which candidate is the best, and which one is the Beast.

Which brings me to the point of this little thread...

The staff has, along with many regular members, grown increasingly disturbed over mounting amounts of trolling on the political forums from BOTH sides of the political spectrum.

Frankly? We're sick to death of it, and have reached a consensus over what to do about it.

A crackdown is going to begin shortly on trolls, and their behaviour.

Personal attacks, both subtle and overt. Snarky commentary. Euphemisisms used in a derogatory fashion. Anything designed to instigate conflict, rather than discussion. These are going to stop. Fair warning.

Read these pertinent sections, along with the rest of the Terms and Conditions, folks. Refamiliarize yourself with the rules of conduct here.

ATS has always been dedicated to the free exchange of ideas, and the discussion of same.

It is, most certainly, not dedicated to scoring cheap idealistic points in some vapid game of one upsmanship.

From here on, until election day in November, and almost certainly beyond, passions will run deep, and flame hot, and we wouldn't have it any other way!!

But...

We will also have politeness, and civil behavior, right along with our passions.

Passion in ones ideology need not include verbal jabs, name calling, or any other behaviour inteded to belittle others, or do injury to them.

If, in the process of debating/arguing your points, you find yourself getting angry? Step Away From The Keyboard. Go grab a fave beverage, or go for a walk. Do not bring it to the boards, and take it out on your fellow members. Log out if need be, and come back tomorrow. Whatever it takes to keep your temper in check.

The days of trolling ATS are coming to an end, folks.
Fair warning given. Please heed it.

It is not just the term birther either, and in all honesty the majority of people using it and do so to be snarky.
period

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by hawkiye

What would you like everyone to call the group of people that question Obama's place of birth or the validity of his Birth Certificate???

If you want the term "Birthers" banned...what do you suggest people use instead of that term? If people want to address the group of people who question Obama's birth place/birth certificate...how would you have them address that group of people???

How about not labeling them period and addressing them individually and their arguments as you would any other person? Gee what a novel idea.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Please do not pretend to be confused by this...

The only people expressing confusion by this will be those feigning bafflement in an effort to continue slagging away at political opponents.

If you honestly are confused as to why we don't care about you when your posting habits demonstrate mindless knee-jerk dogmatic insults directed toward members of a different political party than yours, then ATS is not the discussion board for you.

Finally, this is really very simple...

If these issues are important to you, then discuss the issues, not each other.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

reply to post by hawkiye

How about not labeling them period and addressing them individually and their arguments as you would any other person? Gee what a novel idea.

If you honestly are confused as to why we don't care about you when your posting habits demonstrate mindless knee-jerk dogmatic insults directed toward members of a different political party than yours,

I don't call people anything other then their screen name, calling people birthers is absolutely used to demean the person,

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

(1) Politically inspired name calling of an ideological group is not allowed: examples: "Loonie Libs," "Obamaites," "Repuglicans," etc.

(2) Alterations of a politicians name, or any other high-profile political figure, for disparaging political effect is not allowed, including within member avatars and signatures.

(2a) Avatars designed exclusively to denigrate a politician or political figure, using derogatory wording or photo-manipulation, is not allowed.

(3) Posts that continually parrot previously proven false political rhetoric without substantive contribution to the topic are not allowed.

(4) Posts that stray from the discussion of the issue/topic and focus on the political affiliation of members are not allowed.

(5) All other politically-charged trolling and sniping intended, in the opinion of our staff and topic participants, to derail discussion away form the issues are not allowed.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

And when I'm not addressing an individual...but the group as a whole...what should I address them as?

Or are you suggesting that the group as a whole can't be addressed???

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

If the term birther is merely meant to demean a group of people why does that group refer to themselves as birthers? I will once again post a major birther website appropriately called Birthers.org.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

reply to post by hawkiye

And when I'm not addressing an individual...but the group as a whole...what should I address them as?

Or are you suggesting that the group as a whole can't be addressed???

If you can't figure out how to address a group without using a derogatory label perhaps you should not be addressing anyone... Just sayin

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by Stormdancer777

If the term birther is merely meant to demean a group of people why does that group refer to themselves as birthers? I will once again post a major birther website appropriately called Birthers.org.

Just because someone l decides to embrace the term does not make him a representative of everyone. Most people who are smart enough to objectively look at the evidence and come to the conclusion Obama is a fraud do not like the term nor embrace it. And what evidence do you have that that particular website is a major one that represents the majority. Its one guy who thew up a webiste...

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

If you can't figure out how to address a group without using a derogatory label perhaps you should not be addressing anyone... Just sayin

Birthers is not a derogatory label.

Now if I called them Delusionals...that would be derogatory. If I called them Birthtards....that would be derogatory. If I called them BirthNuts...that would be derogatory. If I called them BirthyLoops...that would be derogatory.

But just plain old Birthers (a term they use for themselves) that just describes their beliefs...they question the BIRTH of Obama.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

You're once again dodging the question. If you find the term offensive then provide another term to refer to the group.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Please, most you people that use the term do so to be mean spirited.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join