It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My niece sent home from school for NOT wearing a hoodie

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+57 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Maybe there's a political correctness stupidity pandemic in public schools these days.

A couple months ago the public school that my niece attends had a "Treyvon Martin" day. The students were told to wear hoodies for the assembly.

My niece, who is in 10th grade, and who is an independent thinker, questioned this. She told her home room teacher that she didn't want to wear a hoodie in support of Treyvon Martin. The teacher asked why, and my niece said she felt bad he died, but that maybe he was the one who attacked Zimmerman, and she didn't feel comfortable supporting anybody when she didn't know the facts.

The next day my niece showed up to school dressed nicely, but not wearing the hoodie. She was sent to the principal's office and reprimanded, and told that she either had to wear a hoodie or go home. The principal told her to go to the lost and found and find a hoodie to wear. The principal's reasoning was that it was important that the students show uniformity, and support for a fellow high school student that was gunned down.

My niece went to the lost and found in tears, and called her mom. Her mom called the principle, who told her to come pick her up from school.

Now is where the story gets good....

Her mom went into the principal's office the next day to confront her on what happened. The principal told her that it's important that the students "fall in" and "sometimes you have to learn to comply." Her mom pointed to the school's values posted on the wall and noted that "compliance" wasn't one of the values, and that in fact "diversity" was a value.

The principal replied, "Diversity means the right kind of diversity. Not your daughter's kind of diversity."

I wanted to tell the world about the school and the principal, but it would only make it harder for my niece. She's already targeted over this.

Is this an aberration, or is it normal for schools these days to be run like indoctrination camps? How does this ever get fixed?

My sister-in-law wants to move over this. I don't blame her.

+14 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Call the local news and make a fuss about it. Mention ATS on camera.

Ok, maybe you shouldn't mention ATS on camera.
edit on 10-6-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
school is a prison these days
at the 10th grade, H.S. becomes babysitters
lately, H.S. has some "off balance" agenda

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
What the hell is going on these days? Is the principal a communist? She already felt bad for the guy being killed already. Why do you want to dress up as being someone else that you aren't? This doesn't add any value to anything, nor serve any kind of purpose. If the principal wanted to support him in anyway. The principal should've just made a donation table to their family. Not to force people to wear hoodies. That's F'ing stupid.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
For a school without a dress code (because then there is really NO reason to have sent her home, as if there was one in the first place)??? I would have been on them like a spider monkey!!

Fall into line, my pasty white arse. It would be snowing on the hilltops of hell before I would let this die if it happened the way you said it did.

The mom should take every avenue available to her to get this information out IMO.
edit on 6/10/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
It's the norm. This and many other examples of it are the reason if I ever do have a child, they will be home-schooled.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Well im glad nothing like that happened to me in highschool.

I would have snapped and told em where to go..

Oh right i already did that when i left highschool... this is kind of a dirty tactic, uniformity and compliance? If i was her mother that would have sent me off the edge. :| Just saying,

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Its so hard to get good schooling these days, especially when your democratically elected officials are hell bent on telling you what to think.

The news should be alerted, and the principal fired. File a grievance with the district. 10 bucks says the principal is a minority, and the child is white.

Shame on you fo not feelin bad bout travon...........LOL my god the USA is full of dumba**es

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by UltimateSkeptic1

Uniformity ... falling in ... dressing right. Sounds like someone has delusions of being a drill sergeant. A few months ago, this story might have gone national. I don't think I owned a hoodie in high school, and I wouldn't have bought one for some administrator's political statement, and I certainly wouldn't have worn someone else's dirty clothes from a lost and found. That's just unhygienic.

The first step towards disinfecting that school is shining light on it. This is difficult, because those most likely to seek reforms (students) are the most likely to suffer retaliation, so they usually just go through the motions for four years and make their escape. Permanent change requires capturing the school board.

+12 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I've never heard of anything like this. A school MAKING a child wear a hoodie for a day in remembrance of a dead teenager? WTF? Your nieces mother should point out that there should be a Zimmerman day then. Only to be fair since the case is still on going. I would raise a stink like no other over this.
Surely your niece wasn't the only one to question this. Find the others and stand up against this principal because I'm sure going to school and learning the curriculum of the day should in no way involve a judicial case that is still being sorted out. This is indoctrination at it's finest.

Did any school have a OJ day where they all wore smaller gloves and came in a white bronco?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

id dont know what she is upset about if i got sent home and got a day off school for a reason that is obviously small fries that i know my parents wouldn't get mad at me about, i would be stoked, i would of turned it into a sit at the river with a *snip* and and 6xer hanging with my buddies day, that's just me though, what kid doesn't want to get a day off school every once in a while?
edit on 6/10/2012 by maria_stardust because: Removed drug reference.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Sounds to me that the school was making a political statement over a tragedy. And if it was not, it was definitely an indoctrination of a "go with the flow variety". In either case, it wasn't the sort of education that the school, a taxpayer funded institution, is supposed to engage in. On the surface, it is fraud minimum and looking deeper perhaps embezzlement of public funds by the group of paid "professionals" that dreamed up this event. Assuming of course that this was a public school versus a private tuition funded school.

You may wish to remind the administration and school board that economically, now is not the best of times to be losing ones career to stupid publicity stunts events. As I am sure the goal was either an assembly or media attention of some sort even if it was the school's newsletter.

Laissez-faire educational environments is part of the reason we have Laissez-faire adults. You may also wish to inform the principal that racism and prejudice are learned conditions and are not natural like creativity and trust in authoritative figures are. Sending her home actually brought question to that trust in the principal. Self awareness and self identification are far more healthy psychologically than herd mentality. It is not rebellion to be non-conformist. It is individualism, courage, integrity and strength of character as well as values...words that most certainly should have been pretty prominent on their precious school banner. If the principal ever bothered to actual read and comprehend them rather than use them as a baton--which can either be a sceptre or a cudgel.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Just the fact that the school was even having a "Trayvon Martin day" in the first place is completely out of line. I think Zimmerman is guilty as sin but in no way would I support a school doing such a thing.

Martin Luther King did great things and deserves to have a day dedicated to his memory. Trayvon Martin was just a kid in the wrong place at the wrong time and the trial isn't even on yet.

All the rest of the school's behavior isn't even as maddening as what they were doing in the first place.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
How utterly disgusting.

Schools should be penalized or removed of their state or federal funding if they attempt to enforce "doctrine" or use their students as political stunts and tropes.

Institutions of learning, not institutions of political oppression.

I bet the school wouldn't have made half the effort in organizing such an event if it was a student from their own campus that had died, that wasn't webbed up in political "black and white" ideology. "What about having a Johnny Smith day, who was my friend killed in a car accident?" "No, his death has no political value. Go back to class and fall in line."

---

Is this school even in Florida, the state where the Travyon Martin scandal took place?
edit on 10-6-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

+26 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

BULL CRAP!

I do not buy this story for one second.
I find it a little hard to believe every kid in that school, including your niece OWNED a hoody that they could wear or choose not to wear.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
You'll pardon me if I have serious doubts as to the veracity of this story. I suspect that either you or your niece maybe embellishing just a bit.

Is there a school web page or on-line newsletter where at least the "Trayvon Martin Day" can be substantiated by way of a calender of events?

Or is this just another thing you would have us all take your word on like the Rubio for Veep thread?

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

i dont believe you.

ETA: whats the name of the school? The principal?

How do we fact check your claims?

edit on 10-6-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Interesting. Give me the details, school name, principle name. I work with the Dept of Ed Civil Rights division and their inspector general
I am sure they will find this interesting.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by KillerQueen

This is a good point, I'd like to know what school it was also.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join