It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As a student about to go to college what should I major in? And any advise? How do you avoid debt?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
The pain in the ass of it is that you have to find something that makes you enough money, and that actually has steady employment while not making you want to kill yourself or others. Well ideally anyway. Maybe you still want to kill them, but you don't hate the job so much you actually do. I dunno OP healthcare is going to be booming, accounting is always solid and actually not all that math intensive, engineering doesn't seem like a good fit for you. How old are you?

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Alchemst7

For me it doesn't work out on any related math related majors (Science, astronomy, Medicine etc) I HATE math I tried to like math but it doesn't work out

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Um I'm 17 and I'm concerned about the futue especially if shtf
edit on 2-6-2012 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

I chose to so I can get a stable job however I'm not sure

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

The internet is a good source of knowledge. I have been studying for six+ years now. I was extremely bored when I went to college back in the seventies. Way too restrictive of a learning source. You are only taught what they think is pertinent to the profession.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

Financial fraud apparently is very good business and you never gotta pay your debt to society (IDK if there is a major called that) Just take business and learn it real well so you can pull off the scam and get rich like all the other frauds. Insurance is especially good fo r fraud and banking and real estate apparently.
edit on 2-6-2012 by ldyserenity because: spelling

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

HmmmI'm a bit touchy about business though

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Are you talking about law school?

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Well I tried business but it didn't work out too much pressure besides I prefer a quiet workplace (I love quiet)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

Are you talking about law school?

That too would work, but if he's worried about SHTF he should take up agriculture imho, then military. Just if that's what he is worried about.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Remember, when you get a degree, you’re not only doing it for your benefit but the benefit of society. If you’re going to go to the university/college focus on an area which produces goods or research. Majors such as Science, Engineering, and Technology are your best bet, IMO. You would have to get a Masters, as a Bachelor is a modern equivalent to a high school diploma (sorry, the market is flooded with Bachelor Degrees). Do not be afraid of mathematics. It is the language of science. Just as with any other language, one has to practice to gain skill, skill leads to mastery. Funding? There is millions of dollars worth of scholarships which go unused, apply to as many as you can. My advise...stay away from liberal arts, law, business (except maybe accounting), and the "soft sciences" (psychology, sociology, ect). Schools are trying to sell you an extremely expensive product, just make really sure to commit to the major, before you start laying money out. I'm sure you are already aware of that.
The alternative is a trade. Some trades you will still need to invest about four years towards; a few years as an apprentice and then a couple as a journeyman. You are likely to find good work as a tradesman and make a comfortable income to live on. Trades such as plumbing, heating/AC, electrical are just some of the many options.
Like I said, this is my opinion. I hope it was helpful in someway. Best of luck to you.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Siberbat

Well I tried my very best to like math but it doesn't work out math doesn't seem to interest me

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I worked in a dorm at Texas Tech for a while and got to know a lot of the students that lived in the dorm. One young lady, in particular, stood out. She had a part-time job at a restaurant known for high tips. But ALL her spare time was spent in the library. She told me there is a book or two at every library that is nothing but scholarship opportunities. She said she would apply for "any and every" scholarship she possibly qualified for, could write an essay for, etc., no matter the amount. Some, she said, were as low as $100 but she said "$100 at a time for several times adds up quickly." She told me that during holidays, Spring Break and summers, any time not at work was at the library looking up and applying for scholarships.

I cannot verify whether what she told me is true or not, but she was a very upstanding young lady and i cannot imagine that she would fabricate such a thing.

Go check the biggest library close to you and ask if they have such books. If the information is legitimate, you have an entire summer to devote to applying for scholarships.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
the advice I am planning on giving my kids is this

first year don't declare, take a bunch of classes in lots of different areas to answer the question. no basket weaving classes, the idea is to take classes in lots of areas to find your calling without falling behind in credits

then declare

but in the first year, you must decide what job you want, in what industry, then work backwards from there. talk to HR people or head hunters and find out what degree you will need to get hired for the job you want.

then start making contacts in the industry before you graduate.

you avoid debt by staying within your means, and accepting you won't be able to do everything you want. I lived on raman noodles for a week to avoid debt. you can do it

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
LOL, I took to long on writing. I see that you hate math.
Well, another option, which is kinda gross, takes a few years of schooling, and the work is always there, is mortuary science. I know it is not a glamorus job but it is very stable, pay is about 30-50k per year. Just a thought.

link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Hilarious. Maybe you should consider some people aspire to be lawyers as a means to a pragmatic approach to better the world.

link   

2 things to consider:

Major in something that is versatile in potential careers that will make good money; and,

make sure you enjoy whatever the major is.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Here's a question: What is it that most intersts you? What hobbie is it that you enjoy doing the most and would consider making a lifes work out of?

edit on 2-6-2012 by Alchemst7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-6-2012 by Alchemst7 because: college educated grammer :-)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Siberbat

Problem is I hate biology and it requires biology

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Well historical research seems to interest me

<< 1    3  4 >>

join