It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As a student about to go to college what should I major in? And any advise? How do you avoid debt?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

do you like archeology?

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
You should take a long look at trade schools. Industrial carpenters, pipe fitters, and electricians can make upwards of 70000 a year. It requires some travel and some real work but once you get in you can work steady are work on becoming a supervisor. The advantage is as your schooling and do a apprentice ship you can be making helpers wage starting at 10.00 and up. Earning money while getting that education instead of racking up bills.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I like farming but can only grow potatoes, tomatoes, strawberries, green onions, and cucumbers. Everything else I try the deer eat the plants. If the SHTF I will eat the deer for repayment of their loan.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
A bunch of news sources have occasional articles about what major or what careers will be booming for the next decade or so. If you are truly flexible about your major, you should at least read a few of those articles. (Warning: Such articles are published by several different sources every year, and they seldom agree completely with each other, either in the same year or even the same publication in different years!)

Avoiding crushing student loan debt is a big advantage and a bigger challenge. Mitt Romney advised students to look around for cheap schools (but Mitt went to Harvard - for two degrees! - and Harvard didn't give him a discount for his boyish good looks). That is not ideal advice but at least consider it. Also, getting scholarships - they are seldom full scholarships so you may need to get more than one (there are commercial services that keep track of special scholarships available only for specific majors or in specific colleges) - so being a star athlete or a really star student in highschool might be a big plus. Consider working your way through college; although, God help me, I tried it and nearly wound up in a hospital.

Some advice gotten the hard way: Many careers are absolutely sensitive to technical changes in the world, so that jobs that were good can vanish almost overnight. Take that from someone who was (1) a COBOL programmer and then (2) a librarian.

Many people change careers during their life, even from careers that involved intensive training (such as law or the clergy), even from careers that might have been their childhood dream (ditto). Pick up some skills or knowledge in college that might be useful in something other than your first choice of career (e.g., higher math or foreign languages).

One possibility is starting at a junior college (a two-year college that gives Associate degrees) or a community college, and then, beyond the second year, transferring to classier institution. The junior or community college should be cheap and probably the competition is not as brutal as at Harvard. Use that two, cheaper and less challenging, years to take the basic and required courses (English, basic biology or chemistry, foreign language, etc.) -- the required courses are pretty much the same at all the bigshot colleges -- get them out of the way, get them where they're cheaper and where you have a better chance to get a good point average.

Whether or not you go to a prestigious school, do your very best to get good grades.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
As a student about to go to college what should I major in? And any advise?

Thing is I've heard engineering is a good course problem is I'm not sure if I can take it because I hate math (Enigineer requires you to be good at math) and everytime I tried to like math it didn't work out. I wonder is there any alternative major I should do? Now I've heard trade school is a good option at the same time I'm not sure if it will work out as well.

Also any advise on what to do in college?

Also how do I avoid debt because my goal is to spend as less as possible.
edit on 2-6-2012 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

Whatever you do, make sure to consider following advice:

1) Do not pledge a Fraternity.

2) Leave your game machine at home.

3) Concentrate on graduating from college and on nothing else. Grades are important.

4) Build your house before you build your home. My wife and I have been married for 21 years, the same amount of time we have been working professionally. Have a plan and stick to it.

5) Sleep regular hours. Go to bed early and wake early. Eat good and pay attention to the door of opportunity.

6) Learn a good work ethic while you are in school. It matters little what you major in if you have a good work ethic and you study for a job you are interested in.

7) Never take a reward that you did not earn. For instance, smoking, drinking, drugs, laziness, video games until 4 in the morning and so on. Taking reward leads to debt that must be paid. Smoke and you get cancer.

8) Allow God to build your faith. Forget trying to seek your own walk. God builds faith. All you need is to have some. Pray a simple prayer that God designs your destiny. After this, simply follow his lead. The rest takes care of itself.

Most of the graduates today that are unemployed are not jobless because there are no jobs. They are jobless because they are unemployable next to the guy that followed the advice above. One relative I have, for instance, graduated last year. In that time, he had a promising job in a corporate office. He lost this job because he couldn't wake up in the morning and go to work. He then went to work at a sales desk at an airport. He now cleans tables at a pizza joint. I have taught for 21 years. I see this happen over and over again.

If you remember nothing else, remember this: The more you open yourself to opportunity, the more it becomes available to you. This also works in reverse. Life is about suffering first. The next four to eight years must be filled with as much suffering as possible. When I say suffering, I mean that you must forget all else and work toward as many goals as possible. Nothing else matters. Build your house before you build your home. Date your mate, but make sure you put as much effort into the relationship as you do into your future career.

On the topic of suffering:

If you smoke, you get cancer. This is because taking a reward that is not earned leads to suffering. The same issue the person above had with his job status is this very issue. On the other side of this, if you suffer on purpose, then reward follows. Suffering the work leads to reward. If you work at a job and and embrace opportunity, you receive a regular check. Suffering always leads to reward. Taking reward leads to suffering. The point is to give. Start now. A person that is giving and hard working will land any job they have prepared for.

Life is about daily renovation. If you are not a better person tomorrow than you are today, you have missed the point of living. If the people you influence and care for are not better tomorrow than they are today, you are not giving anything that matters.

What you give forward is the only thing that ever matters in the end. What you take is temporary and fading and can only cause debt.

Love is the key.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Dude if you are asking ATS about what to study (or aren't 100% sure what to study) then I have an answer for you:

DONT GO!

I have an engineering degree because I knew I wanted to do something like engineering so I went to engineering school. Can't really do engineering without a degree.

College is a tool. It is not a requirement. When I was growing up in the 80's and 90's and for my parents before me it was basically a given that the ONLY way to truly succeed was to go to college. That was the mindset, and for decades I suppose it was true.

Figure out for sure what you want to do with your life and if you HAVE TO go to college in order to do that, or if it will PAY OFF for you, then go to college.

The problem with lots of degrees like history or education or the like, how would you figure those degrees pay off? I know a couple who both went to a VERY expensive private college and one got a degree in teaching and one got a degree in psychology. They graduated with large steaming piles of debt and career paths that pay jack squat. One of them, the teacher, is now not even working at all let alone in the teaching field. That's Just Great!

The cost of college has gone up WAY faster than inflation and the average wages.

It is, however, a fantastic way to meet people and party for 4 years (or 5 or 6) on mommy and daddy's dime. A sweet deal if you can get it.

But don't go into debt for college. If you don't have scholarships or grants (good stuff to get), live cheap and work your way through college as a part time student - or if you are cool enough to do it, work and go to school full time. Doing this will make you appreciate your degree far more than someone who had an education given to them.

Here's a tip. Be a plumber. Plumbers make more per hour than engineers. Way more. Plus, you don't have to go to college to be a plumber. It's a field that is impossible to outsource to India, China, Vietnam, or Mexico.

People call plumbers when they are desperate and you can charge them an arm and a leg just for showing up. When was the last time you desperately called for an engineer? Yeah. Me neither.

How many people with college degrees are currently unemployed, underemployed, or not even participating in the job market?

Plumbers are recession proof because turds floating in your basement is a problem whether the stock market is up OR down.

Anyway. Just a different perspective for all y'all. You can exchange "plumber" for any hands-on trade that takes skill most people don't have or are afraid to do, grossed out by, or think is beneath them.

Morticians. Ain't like people are gonna quit dying. Pays well. Recession proof. Icky.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I spent 5 years at a university to get 2 degrees after switching majors once; studied abroad; was a resident assistant; spent my last two years with two part time campus jobs, a full course load (21 credit hours) and addition credits at a local community college; got a master's degree in 2 years (normal) and have also taught for 2 and 1/2 years at the same university for my MA. I've navigated the ins and outs of university bureaucracy, so take my advice if you feel like it, but I think it's pretty solid...

MAJORS:

As far as the major goes, that depends on your tastes and preferences. What are you interested in?

Don't let anyone here tell you that you have to major in something "practical". That's BS. The problem with the alternative and liberal arts majors (as opposed to the hard sciences) is that you could potentially fill any number of professions. The sciences are all very concrete, if you think about it, they deal in quantitative figures and jobs are laid out accordingly. If you study biology or medicine, you are sure to find a job because the jobs are very specifically laid out and well defined. Biologist. Doctor. Period. End of sentence.

As far as the social sciences and liberal arts, there is qualitative, abstract reasoning going on, so you do not have a "concrete" specific job title laid out for you.

One thing tends to be lacking in the liberal arts and social sciences departments is effective guidance about WHAT to do with your degree. As you go along thinking about a major, do yourself a favor and research the jobs that deal with that major or "could" deal with it.

Most schools make you declare a major when you go there, but you can change it whenever you want...just make sure of the following:

*Dates and deadlines (when do you have to turn in your paperwork to switch majors)

*Finish your mandatory classes first (get them out of the way). That's all the classes that everyone has to take...some sort of ethics or sociological class; some sort of colloquium or symposium; history/world events/anthropology, etc.

*Some form of math will be a requirement, but rudimentary "high school level math" won't cut it. Check the proficiency requirements for the majors you are thinking about and make sure to get to that level so you don't have to be held back later. Keep in mind that some non-science majors don't require hard maths, you can take logic or statistics instead, but BEWARE, it doesn't work the other way for the sciences/maths/engineering (probably business, but not sure)...they WILL NOT accept logic or stats usually.

*Take a placement for a foreign language and take your two semesters your freshman year. (Keep in mind that even if it ends up not being required, you can get a minor in a foreign language after only 5 classes, and it looks good on a resume to have some accredited certification a language...my recommendation: Mandarin. For two reasons:

1.) It's definitely a language few students study, so it will make you more competitive than all the schmucks taking two semesters of "hola, como estas" Spanish that they just finished 3 semesters of in high school.

2.) Because it is a harder language (not as similar to english as Spanish is), a minor can be reached in just 5 or 6 classes from ZERO. That is to say, when you get a Spanish minor, for example, it doesn't start counting the minor credits until fourth semester Spanish (202 or equivalent) usually.
So, if you have no good background and start from Spanish 101, you'll have to take 102, 201 and they won't count for jack towards your minor. Mandarin (and probably Arabic, Hebrew, Greek, or whatever other "exotic" language the school offers) on the other hand, will most likely have a fast track to a minor that starts in the first or second semester.

*Take summer classes, if anything, at least once.

*Look for internships and on-campus jobs (not at the bookstore or in McDonalds). Jobs in specific departments, as a secretary in your departments office. If anything, you will get to see and be in good standing with the power players - the associate professors (you WILL take classes with them if it's your major's dept.), the department chairperson, the director of instructors, etc. In the classroom you will see professors one way, if you work in the department, you learn that a college is no different from a regular office job - all the power playing, ass-kissing, drama, in-fighting, etc.

*Be an RA at a dorm. For starters (relating to financial matters) you get free room and board, a stipend for food and better parking. You don't have to be a saint if you're an RA, you just have to be a secret hypocrite about certain "normal" college behavior. Looks good on resumes, depending on job.

*Do extracurriculars outside of jobs...employers will look for that beyond the major.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by djmarcone

Aside from everything I just said, I also whole-heartedly agree with everything this poster said...

I don't know you and to an extent, I'm projecting that you are the typical middle-class college-seeker that I was.

However, you don't "HAVE" to go to a traditional four year college for four years right after high school.

Some here will say that you should join the national guard or military to get basic training, job skills and, if you want, money for college later. That's valid, if it's for you.

The poster I'm replying to mentioned hands-on vocations, which may or may not require technical school (or maybe an apprenticeship, or both).

He/she also mentioned doing it part time. This is also fine. I disagree with what he said about going full time with a full time job (maybe he meant part time, can't remember). Your first year, if you go full time, is important for social and adjustment reasons. Not living at home being a major one, believe it or not.

My recommendation is to take 12 credits your first semester. HOWEVER, you have to make sure that all three entities you will be depending on are OK with this:

1) Universities may require 15 credits for full time status as a freshman
2) Financial aid may require 15 credits.
3) Your dorm may require you to be full time, so if your university says 15 credits, than 15 it is (there are tricky ways around it and if you want, PM me when you are finally there and I can give you some hints on how to take only 12 or even 11 credits and still remain on campus with financial aid, freeing up time for a part time job).

If you have 12 credits, you will save roughly 9 hours a week (3 hours [same as credits] in class and "supposedly" 6 outside for homework, reading and studying). This frees up your schedule for a good 20 hour a week part time job, you still get free time at the dorm to hang out and meet people and do the normal stuff.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
If you're not sure which college to go to, or even if you should go, then don't go! Take a look around your local are, look at what's missing, or how something can be improved.

Then start your own business, or just subcontract your self out!
I know that may not be viable, I'm in Australia so I don't exactly know how stuff works in America, but it's the same principle, look at never ending business, life and death, in life and death you can become a celebrant, and do ceremonies for births or death, and marriages, people are always dying, it's a steady business, over here a celebrant that speaks at funerals make a lot of money. There is always options, don't limit opportunity by ommiting it by believing you need to follow the rules of the system grind.

My self personally, I finished year 10, no college (year 11 or 12) no university, and i started my own business 6 months ago, and in 6 months I'll be buying my first home with cash, I have a partner who doesn't work, a new born daughter, and 2 kids to previous relationships in which I pay child support, and I'm 25.

Always be positive, never be negative don't associate your self with negativity and positive things happen.

Best of luck to you young fella

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Go to a 2 year school and get a vocational degree. You'll have a degree in something useful, have a school that actually cares about placing you in a job (4 year college tend to not care), you'll be spending much less money. Also, if you want to transfer to a 4 year college, you'll have a good bit of a pre-reqs out of the way.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
How much do you want to make? Is starting at 30-35K/yr and making over 60k in five years ok? All with only 2 years or less of education at a community college. Try HVAC technology. Even working for someone else, you can make decent money right out the gate if you get the EPA "universal" certification. After 3-5 years experience in the field, you can write your own ticket. After 5 years experience, 70-80k is not unreasonable.
edit on 3-6-2012 by DarthMuerte because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
If I was going to school right now it would be 2-year trade school in software/computer networking/computer security.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Best advice I can give as a former teacher... Don't go to college unless what you want to do requires a degree...

If you can't avoid getting scammed by colleges do as many courses as you can at community college. You English composition, math, and other liberal arts courses which will transfer over to the school you actually want the degree from. It doesn't tmatter where you take these general courses as your degree will have the name of the college you graduate from on it. Community college will save you tons of money.

My mom wouldn't let me go to community college because I went to a fancy private high school. All I got from that was over 40k in debt and a degree I didn't need to do what I do now.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal

I HATE math I tried to like math but it doesn't work out
It doesn't really matter if you like it or not. The important part is whether or not you are capable of comprehending it.

It's rather difficult to like anything, if you cannot comprehend it. Also difficult to truly like something, if you have to try to force yourself to like it.

However, you can force yourself to learn it, which could raise the level of comprehension. Then maybe after that, it could possibly become something that is liked, or at the least, maybe just not disliked quite as much.

reply to post by Alchemst7

Originally posted by Alchemst7

..... squating college. I think the knowledge you learn in college is more important that the piece of paper certificate that you pay thousands of dollars for. ......

That's an interesting idea, and could prove to be beneficial in the long run.
I am curious though: [color=FAFFB0]Is it legal?

I'm sure many teachers would love that sort of dedication, but there are probably also some teachers, whom are pricks, and just wouldn't allow it.

edit on 6/3/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I'll be applying to university this coming fall and I plan on studying environmental geography and/or human and cultural geography... Lol. I keep changing my mind... first it was psychology, than anthropology, then sociology, then criminology, then political science, then... geography. I'm content with that, for now.

Find something you enjoy and just go with that... that's how I ended up with geography.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Go do a degree that is going to put food on the table and a roof over your head; some of what some posters are doing or want to do is a complete waste of time because it won't get you anywhere.

My advice is go learn a trade or do something your country is short of and in high demand.

History, psychology, archaeology etc are a waste of time and won't get you far. If you are not intelligent enough for the below courses, then I suggest you be more productive and go get a real job:

You need to do your homework; here's a list of ideas for those with some common sense:

www.worldwidelearn.com...

www.ehow.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Community college. Try to avoid debt at all costs. In the end, unless you are looking to become a doctor or specialist, avoid universities. You cannot bankrupt student debt.
My husband is a scientist with a PhD. He had no debt because he was on complete scholarships from his home country. Thankfully. But once he got past postdoc, he could not get a job in the biochem field until he dropped "PhD" from his resume and just used his Masters. They want educated but not TOO educated as that is too high a pay scale.
In fact, before he got his current jobs, I made more money than him and I dropped out at age 17 to have my daughter! (I was working as an Admin. Asst.).
Medical field is fairly lucrative..my brother is getting trained to be an EKG technician. But beware that working in the health field will most likely expose you to having to receive vaccines or lose your job. A lot of that in the news lately.
edit on 3-6-2012 by bastet11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
My biggest regret was taking out loans to goto a 4 year school. I do not regret my BA degree, but the debt is terrible.

BEST decision i made was to go back to a 1.5 year trade school program that i paid for out of pocket and got a job upon completion, making twice as much as i would with my 4 year degree.

My advice to you... Some sort of 2 year or trade school. I strongly feel that the way of a 4 year degree has come and gone. There arent many, if any jobs at all out there if you major in something typical like business, music, finance, communications, psychology, ect ect. If you really want to do a 4 year degree, do it in something very particular and specific. By all means neccesary, avoid taking out loans. Do whatever it takes to pay it out of pocket, or dont do it at all. Trust me when i tell you that you would be FAR better off not going to college and working while LOOKING into your other options than to foolishly just goto a college for the sake of going to college. That whole stigma of all highschool students is bunk and void in my opinion. Financially it is so much smarter to work for even just 1 sememster first while researching what you want to do than to just wing it and goto school. Like i said... that was fine years ago when there were jobs. Today, not so much.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
goto trade school

seriously i finished school in less than 2 years and got a job quick making 70k a year(not anymore i quit that job, who wants to make their life about work). while my hommies were busting their arses in college eating ramen noodles. and most of them didn't get their 4 year degree in 4 years. trade school is as easy as just showing up to class
edit on 3-6-2012 by biggmoneyme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
First off, this cannot be the first time you have thought about this

Those are very personal questions only you can really know or find the answers to. But, I will tell you some things about math. I had a very hard time in math. I took algebra 3 times only to quit or fail....What I ended up doing was trying a remedial math class, which during that class I found out exactly why I was having such a hard time. I had never grasped certain concepts. I was finally able to enjoy higher math classes after that!!

As far as money, I used my VA to pay for college which was great!!!! Then I was also able to get scholarships too. But I had a 3.8 gpa, which made me able to get multiple scholarships, more than other students. If you keep a 3.0 you can still qualify. Or maybe you can get a federal grant(which is free $) in a community college to get your basic AA degree, then transfer to a 4yr college....There are so many ways you can do this. Go to the school counselor and take a vocation test...it can give you an idea of what you would be good at....

Or you can do what I did and join a service, do your time, get a skill then exit and go to school for free in 4 years.....I was in the Army and do not recommend that avenue now, but maybe the Airforce, Navy, or Coast Guard??? I know the AIRFORCE is expanding especially in Colorado Springs, so lots of tech jobs will be available in the future

What kind of things do you like to do? Research websites that give 10 year outlooks on those vocations!!! I chose nursing when I realized that there would be a shortage so great that I will never be out of a job, .....Don't choose something that would make your ability to get a job null and void. To many people think they can find a job doing art appreciation, ancient languages or teaching, but in reality there are not that many jobs.....Be smart about it, think deeply.....what can you live doing??

Good Luck and Look Within...Speak to your higher self and if you listen, you will find the answers....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join