It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As a student about to go to college what should I major in? And any advise? How do you avoid debt?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
As a student about to go to college what should I major in? And any advise?

Thing is I've heard engineering is a good course problem is I'm not sure if I can take it because I hate math (Enigineer requires you to be good at math) and everytime I tried to like math it didn't work out. I wonder is there any alternative major I should do? Now I've heard trade school is a good option at the same time I'm not sure if it will work out as well.

Also any advise on what to do in college?

Also how do I avoid debt because my goal is to spend as less as possible.
edit on 2-6-2012 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
As for what you should major in, noone here can tell you.
You have to do what you would enjoy doing.

As for the debt, apply for every scholarship you can find and financial aid.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
How much money do you want to make a year and what do you actually enjoy? Knock out those pre reqs and then start to zero in on what you like.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
don't go to college if you plan of having any financial stability in the next 3-5 years, multiple threads on this subject already but, you can NOT bankrupt a student load..

I just came from a job that most of the degrees the employees had .. did NOT match their job title nor their responsibility.. including the CEO !

yes.. I'm dead serious!

ETA: Job market still sucks and without hard core evidence (3-5yrs), going to college is as risky as rolling the dice in Vegas! There's a conspiracy of school loans being scammed like housing lenders have done..
edit on 2-6-2012 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I wish I had gone to a community college for the first two years, then transferred to a more well-known university to get my degree. Most of the freshman and sophomore classes are fairly standard and the credits will transfer. (Check this to be sure.)

As it turned out, I ended up paying my college loans for 10 years. Paid them off, no big deal. But it could have bought a car or a down payment on a home.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

I'm not planning on taking any loans

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

Community college for the first two years is a really good idea. Will help save money, will give you the chance to explore a little.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I enjoy history however I'm not sure if it will workout well now that many people with History majors get laid off

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo
don't go to college if you plan of having any financial stability in the next 3-5 years, multiple threads on this subject already but, you can NOT bankrupt a student load..

I just came from a job that most of the degrees the employees had .. did NOT match their job title nor their responsibility.. including the CEO !

yes.. I'm dead serious!

ETA: Job market still sucks and without hard core evidence (3-5yrs), going to college is as risky as rolling the dice in Vegas! There's a conspiracy of school loans being scammed like housing lenders have done..
edit on 2-6-2012 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

Maybe when he's out he could buy a home, then refinance the loans into the mortgage, then go bankrupt.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

Yeah dude go to community college your first 2 years with the intent of majoring in computer science at your eventual 4 year school. Go to every class, become friends with your professors, and join a club within the eventual field you want to get in to.

If I could do it all over again that's what I would do.
edit on 2-6-2012 by lives because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by lives

Well I've already decided to go to Cal State LA a four year university (I live close by) but luckily Cal State LA is cheap compared to other schools such as Harvard

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

I enjoy history but then again like my repsonse to Domo I'm not sure if history majors are exactly that good since it has a high rate of unemployment

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

grrrr....If your going in,grab up on the used books....I did chemical engineering and environmental tech ..keep it simple for the start....If your smart,fly by general arts for a year then dig in to your expert....debt with a loan
....I just finished my pay off 20 years later
....you can do it with loopholes

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I wouldn't do history. Not to knock it but just not a very sought after degree. I was a business finance major at pretty descent school. So when I got out and had to work in my field I had to take a series of licensing tests. I point that out bc I wish I would have majored in computer science and just joined the business club. So when I graduated I would be proficient in both computer science by way of my degree and finance by way of all my licensing tests. Just something to think about to make yourself more marketable.

And I'm in law school now, which I never thought I would do during my undergrad so I slacked off a little in my grades which hurt my chances of going to a really good post grad school. Point being c's get degrees doesn't always apply. Do your best.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by lives

What can I do because right now I seem for better in history

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
As a student about to go to college what should I major in? And any advise?

Grow. Evolve. Keep your mind open.

Thing is I've heard engineering is a good course problem is I'm not sure if I can take it because I hate math (Enigineer requires you to be good at math) and everytime I tried to like math it didn't work out. I wonder is there any alternative major I should do? Now I've heard trade school is a good option at the same time I'm not sure if it will work out as well.

This is something only you can answer. Obviously engineering is a terrible option for you. Definitely make this choice based on your passions and not on some internet blog that says "such and such is in high demand and pays a lot". I know a lot of miserable nurses who made that same mistake. Take an exploratory semester or two and figure out what gets you motivated. You may be surprised.

Also how do I avoid debt because my goal is to spend as less as possible.
edit on 2-6-2012 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

This is America. Unless you're part of the 1% or had incredibly thoughtful parents who were creepy-smart, you'll go into debt. I guess your other options are to go back in time and become an athlete.

Check out grant and scholarships, as well. You never know what minority category you may fall into. Don't just think "minority" as in "ethnicity". There are scholarships for people who attended school in the same city from k-12 and other weird niche money for the lucky folks. I never did but I saw quite a few weird ones I never expected.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

I would get the best degree you can. It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Just get good grades and be an active member in the club of what you really want to get into.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

I have a new theory that I'm going to put to the test and that is squating college. I think the knowledge you learn in college is more important that the piece of paper certificate that you pay thousands of dollars for. I met this person who goes to college without paying. He sits in the classroom and does all the assignments that the professor gives. He's just not able to take the tests unless the professor gives it to him under the table. Some will!! Some times he has a hard time with the Lab because of the fee's you have to pay.

I personally want to study in Science, Astronomy, Microbiology, and Eastern Medicines..

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Here's my advice: If you dont know WHY you are going to college, then you probably arent ready for it. Figure out what you want to study before you waste a bunch of money.

How to avoid debt? Simple. Dont go into it.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
You don't need a college degree to live in this world. The less you spend the less you have to make. You can live fine on a regular job somewhere if it has benefits and vacation time. You have a four year head start on things and no costs. It all depends on what you want to do for a living and what kind of people you like to hang around with. It also depends on scholarships and other things. You can find a good job and take classes also.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join