It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warhammer fan receives legal notice for uploading "modified" 3d models.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by xxdaniel21

wait i just realized he would have scanned the warhammer one first then he would have made changes.
so yeah he copied the product to begin with
bugger there has to be a way around that.

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

yeah but the had to have bought the original product from games workshop before they could modify it.

but still this confuses me, because the kid would have purchased the models first as well.

im still wondering if the copied one is actually cheaper than the purchased one.

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

Since corps got the right to be called human, all that changed. Now you have to wait until the corp that got the copyright to have gone under for 75 years. It's a mess really, copyright was put out there to protect individuals, now it protects corp entities. As for 3d models, its kind of BS really, and I am making a bit of money in that industry. As it stands, most 3d modellers are crooks themselves, it's just a race.

I have had models for sale, based on outfits from anime for example, the only reason the other 3d artist was able to make that claim, was because they beat me to it. They borrowed the same idea as I did, but they win because they got it out first. The same goes with all the popular movies and such, 3d artists are always borrowing from them too.

I just avoid the hassle now, by making crap up from scratch. Not worth the headache and wasted time IMO, even though I know if I am the first to release it, I will clean up in profits.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

That's where license comes into it. When you buy a game, you buy the right to play the game, not to use the models for commercial reasons. When you buy a model from a company like DAZ3D, there is another license. When you buy an addon to a DAZ3D model, yet another license to read. It's all confusing and crazy. There was a big war between DAZ3D and vendors in second life over it. People were grabbing DAZ3D stuff, then porting it to second life and reselling it. DAZ3d ended up altering their license file to specifically forbid using it in second life to end the battle.
edit on Fri, 01 Jun 2012 23:48:06 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Thinking about this I'm actually really surprised. I can't see GW losing any real money off this. Most people are still going to buy and paint their models as that is one of the best parts of the whole game. If nothing else this will bring new players into the game. Has GW been purchased by any corporations over the past few years?

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I think his intentions were harmless and non-threatening.

He did take the original designs, but he modified them.

Now, you can tell he wasn't interested in making profit, because he's used the warhammer/GW name, rather than some variation - calling it his own. Not only that, but he's sharing it for free.

If he was content on stealing, or making duplicates, he would've gone about it differently.

So in a way, he has encouraged and/or promoted the brand/company, albeit changing the product slightly.

And on another note, If people really wanted to, they'd buy their own 3d models, read into 3d printing and do it themselves - they wouldn't necessarily require "his" version.
So threatening the small guy wouldn't accomplish anything in the long run

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
The makers of plastic model airoplanes and the like , now have to get a licence from the makers of the full size aircraft to be allowed to make even a 1/72 scale model,IMO this person used copyright material to make a slightly different version of copyright material,and then used the copyrighted name to distribute?

Bit silly really

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by xxdaniel21

the fact he used the distinct warhammer name is a huge part of the problem , how many millions has been spent in promoting that game and games workshop over 35 or so years?

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi
I never heard of a car manufacturer suing one of its customer for modifying a vehicle...

I have.
Ferrari vs a guy who made a stretched limo.
The big problem in this case was that he was still calling this thing a "Ferrari".

As others have mentioned in this thread, if the modeller was using the name "Warhammer" in any way at all, that would be the trigger that brings the ton of bricks down on him.

Some years back a local modelmaker was selling figures that looked a lot like Star Trek crewmembers, but at least he was clever enough to call them "Generic Starship Crew".

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

there is also the case of william lefavre , who did what this person did but on a grander scale...he just adjusted the original parts as well , of a few different vehicles to make 250 gto,s..Mr ferrari didnt like this very much , and in the end after decades of wrangling Mr favre shot himself in the head i believe...

ah links here
www.wired.com...

A guy called christopher lawrence also tried to do the same sort of theing ..Mr ferrari didnt like that either

Funny coincidence is I think Mr Lawrence is also now not of this world anymore ...
bringatrailer.com...

edit on 2-6-2012 by gambon because: (no reason given)

Another of the same sort of thing here "fake " mercedes gullwing crushed
www.autoblog.com...

I believe the owner is still alive...

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Torrents and IRC. Problem solved.

Let him get in touch with other Warhammer players via email. He can either upload torrents, or start an IRC channel to share the files, and then use email to tell the Warhammer players he knows, where the torrents are available, or which IRC network the channel is on.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

problem with that is i think most fans of the game like the official merchandise , and many i know will not allow non Real gw stuff on the battlefield , they see it as supporting something they like , which otherwise would just fold and no new games, rules or backgrounds would be developed for it.

Imo it was probably a warhammer fan who brought this to there attention

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
It's ALL about exploiting the Fans and taking them for every penny they've got. I've seen this across the entire RPG spectrum, right down to those overpriced booklets. Capitalism at its most sinister.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join