It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Where does gun ownership stand in light of the bible

page: 2
1
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by wearewatchingyouman
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


I was half kidding. As you point out there are multiple occurences of this theme. I'm not saying I believe it but I can understand those who tout the conspiracy that the bible is little more than a tool of control for TPTB. Plus this idea that God uses men like a chessboard, maybe Risk is a better analogy, to do his will kind of kills the freewill argument, No?


We do have free-will, but quite often people confuse God's active and passive will.




posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


Would you care to clarify this position?



posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by wearewatchingyouman
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


Would you care to clarify this position?


Example..

God's passive will: Desiring that none perish in Hell.
God's active will: Bringing to pass everything He declares will happen.

The reason why God will not make everyone love Him to accomplish His passive will is that it would violate the soverignty God gave us to choose to love and follow Him ourselves.



posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


Yet, he will deny a child, his creation, the opportunity to exercise their free will and come to love him, i.e have his armies kill it or destroy it in fire Himself, simply to accomplish His active will?
edit on 1-6-2012 by wearewatchingyouman because: add



posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by wearewatchingyouman
 


Not sure what you mean, He never denies someone choosing to come to Him.



posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by wearewatchingyouman

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

It's always amazing how the Lord works. I was reading this just this morning in my quiet time. I read James, then 1 Peter. Specifically chapter 2 of 1st Peter, verses 13-17.


There really is some great fodder for an empire in that there bible...


Yes there is, and it was used for evil reasons to do just that, but by contrast it was also teaching believers how to survive such kinds of evil kingdoms by submitting to their masters and being humble. No one thinks twice about a humble servant who does as he is told. It's the rebellious slaves that feel the master's whip and incurr the master's attentions the most.

In the end, in the U.S. christians may lose their religious freedoms, but they can't take away what is in our hearts. The one place they cannot break into is the Temple of God he built inside of us. They may kill us in the end, but that is all they can do, and all people die and when they die, they will meet He who they have transgressed against, for crimes committed against us are crimes committed against him and he shall repay according to what they have done.



posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


Would killing a child, who is not mentally able to yet exercise their free will, because they happen to be be born into the wrong town, city or religion be denying a person the ability to come to Him? The bible is filled with examples of God exercising His active will and the aforementioned taking place. No?



posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000
 


I envy your faith brother. It must be so soothing to live in your world.



posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n
 


Ok for hunting, and defending against animals that could attack and either kill or injure.

Not Ok for personal defense or offense against other humans.

Live by the sword, die by the sword is not something Jesus meant that is Ok to do but we risk death ourselves, no he meant just don't do it, rather love our enemies, shooting them isn't loving your enemy.
It's a hard command to follow, one of the hardest.



posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by wearewatchingyouman
reply to post by lonewolf19792000
 


I envy your faith brother. It must be so soothing to live in your world.


That is why i do not own a gun and never have, even if i have thought about it before, other thoughts flood to my mind like if i do get robbed, i have home owners insurance and if that doesn't stop them then i will get ADT. I am not a violent person, for me there is nothing that cannot be discussed as an adult. Times may change but i never will.



posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by wearewatchingyouman
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


Would killing a child, who is not mentally able to yet exercise their free will, because they happen to be be born into the wrong town, city or religion be denying a person the ability to come to Him? The bible is filled with examples of God exercising His active will and the aforementioned taking place. No?


My understanding is all children go to heaven. Christ indicated such as well when He rebuked the disciples for trying to prevent them from coming to Him.



posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue_Jay33
reply to post by sk0rpi0n
 


Ok for hunting, and defending against animals that could attack and either kill or injure.

Not Ok for personal defense or offense against other humans.

Live by the sword, die by the sword is not something Jesus meant that is Ok to do but we risk death ourselves, no he meant just don't do it, rather love our enemies, shooting them isn't loving your enemy.
It's a hard command to follow, one of the hardest.


Nonsense. What if we saw a man attempting to murder a group of people? Like lets say a cop? Its sin to be able to help someone and to do nothing.



posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


Interersting interpretation... Aren't all children born into sin? Doesn't one have to accept Christ in order to be saved of their sin? Did people go to heaven before Jesus died as a sacrifice
edit on 1-6-2012 by wearewatchingyouman because: add



posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by wearewatchingyouman
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


Interersting interpretation... Aren't all children born into sin? Doesn't one have to accept Christ in order to be saved of their sin? Did people go to heaven before Jesus died as a sacrifice
edit on 1-6-2012 by wearewatchingyouman because: add


That's called "original sin" doctrine. Instead of teaching that we inherit a sin nature from Adam those folks teach that all Adam's personal sin transfers to us all. I don't believe that. I believe we inherit a nature to sin from Adam, that its just a matter of when not if. However, children or mentally handicaped folks who can't understand sin or redemption are exempt. People arent responsible until they reach an 'age of reckoning', and that varies person to person depending on how mature they are.


edit on 1-6-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by wearewatchingyouman
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


Interersting interpretation... Aren't all children born into sin? Doesn't one have to accept Christ in order to be saved of their sin? Did people go to heaven before Jesus died as a sacrifice
edit on 1-6-2012 by wearewatchingyouman because: add


The age of reckoning is when a person learns right from wrong and understands that their actions have consequences. Until children reach that point they are exempt and mentally handicapped are exempt by default. Same as people who have alzheimers or dementia and no longer know if theyre coming or going, infants that are stillborn or die young are also exempt. Thats just how merciful our God is.



posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
From what I recall Jesus twice says in the Gospels He comes to bring not peace but a Holy Sword.
Perhaps that's a metaphor, but it's still strange for some popular Christian slogans to call Him the "Prince of Peace" after that. Perhaps they are two divergent metaphors that each make sense in different contexts.

However, He clearly does tell His followers to sell their clothes and buy weapons:


Then said he unto them, But now, he that has a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.
Luke 22:36.



edit on 1-6-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by wearewatchingyouman
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


Interersting interpretation... Aren't all children born into sin? Doesn't one have to accept Christ in order to be saved of their sin? Did people go to heaven before Jesus died as a sacrifice
edit on 1-6-2012 by wearewatchingyouman because: add



Go read the first Chapter of Ephesians. It states humanity has no control, seems to infer free will doesnt exist at all.
This is an issue the church has debated for centuries.



posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
From what I recall Jesus twice says in the Gospels He comes to bring not peace but a Holy Sword.
Perhaps that's a metaphor, but it's still strange for some popular Christian slogans to call Him the "Prince of Peace" after that. Perhaps they are two divergent metaphors that each make sense in different contexts.

However, He clearly does tell His followers to sell their clothes and buy weapons:


Then said he unto them, But now, he that has a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.
Luke 22:36.



edit on 1-6-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)


Peace from chaos, Jesus will have to bring many to their knees before peace can be ushered in. God is described as a terrible God. Go read Revelations.
Their is only one way out and that is to accept Jesus died for sin.



posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n
 


running searches on Google about Christianity and gun ownership in America?

do you live in America?

are you thinking about converting to Christianity?

if not, I am left wondering what your motives are for the inquiry?



posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth
 



One of Yeshua's/Jesus disciples cut the ear off of
the servant of the high priest


then Jesus ordered the disciple to put his sword back and healed the servants ear.



new topics

top topics



 
1
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join