It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why CANADA should hang its head in SHAME in 2012!! (Warning: Graphic Pics)

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

Just to say, Eskimo means "eater of raw meat" and is an insulting word for them

The right one to use is Inuit.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Definate troll but definately a catharthis for the replyers i believe.....
Killing isnt wrong.....killing bab animals starts with bacon and eggs in the morning...id bet those poor chickens are dissapointed they never hatched too....
Yer all a bunch of hynocirtters.....
stop the killing and youd starve to death.....
The subject is moot, the OPs a troll, and theres far more important stuff to get all pissy about.....IMHO of course....I AM CANADIAN b the way, and this is our own business...we dont tell you how to bomb people back to the stone age do we?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
While I agree that this is a rather horrific practice, I can't honestly make any distinction between this harvest of animals and the type of harvest that goes on in stockyards around the world, well, at least these animals were able to live free until their deaths. It upsets me that I'm not a moral enough person to stop eating factory animals, and so while I think its abhorent, I perhaps find myself more abhorent for allowing it to continue, and even being complicit with it by supporting the industry by buying their factory meat.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pellinore
reply to post by JourPolaire

Hear hear! Well said, my fellow Canuck. Thank you for taking the high road.

I am also a proud Canadian. And I will be honest.

I cannot stand up and condemn those who participate in killing baby seals.

I don't agree with it and I would never do it myself, but I can't condemn it. Why?

Because I eat and wear animal parts and so do nearly all of you. Killing a seal = killing any animal. For fur, leather, burgers, bacon, sealskin, or medicine.

It's all taking life.

So why get bent about one but not another? Outrage at one killing but not another is an unconsidered and emotional response.

Isn't it? Feels like it to me.

This is a poor attitude, Do you kill dogss? Do you kill cats or think thats is ok?

What about killing other humans....is that ok with you? After all many other people and species are killed every day....just asking if you think those are ok to kill too?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Six6Six

I don't agree with it and I would never do it myself, but I can't condemn it. Why?

Because I eat and wear animal parts and so do nearly all of you. Killing a seal = killing any animal. For fur, leather, burgers, bacon, sealskin, or medicine.

It's all taking life.

So why get bent about one but not another? Outrage at one killing but not another is an unconsidered and emotional response.

This is a poor attitude, Do you kill dogss? Do you kill cats or think thats is ok?

What about killing other humans....is that ok with you? After all many other people and species are killed every day....just asking if you think those are ok to kill too?

It all depends on the context, doesn't it? Surely you would agree that killing a human being to stop them killing others is the right thing to do, don't you?

What if it was an infected cat or a rabid dog? Then you take the action you need to take.

What if you are hungry and need to eat? What if your evolutionary biology dictates that you're omnivorous and should eat meat to stay healthy? Do you do it, or do you make a moral decision to find alternatives?

What if you're a poor fisherman or an Inuit native who needs income to support his family? What if you saw overfishing destroy your livelihood, and the only way to save the fish stock was to shut down the fishery and cull the seals so the fish could rebound? What then? Do you do it or do you stay poor the rest of your life?

You need to make these decisions in context. Not taking that into account isn't valid.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
i61.photobucket.com...

I couldn't resist.

While it may seem barbaric to you, it's a way of life for them.

Stop trying to make everyone exactly like you, it would be a very boring world.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
What is the deal with seal *clubbing* anyway? It's been nearly 300 years and you haven't been able to fashion some kind of spear yet? Never mind the natives already having spears - we had *guns* when we left you there in the first place

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Seriously, someone from the U.K. attempting to preach to us Canadians ethics and moral values? Jesus christ, I could laugh all the way to the frigging bank on that one.

Take a glimpse at your little Island and what has been done to it by a nanny state loving generation who feels entitled to EVERYTHING that isn't there's. You have an entire culture based solely on welfare dependence and where the average working man goes out to help pay for useless lazy prats that like to sit around all day and drink pints in a 75,000 pound flat. Sorry mate, I'd rather a group of Inuit hunters and former Newfoundland Fisherman make a living doing something they have done for eons than sit on welfare or other benefits eating up other peoples tax dollars. Do yourself a favor, never come to Canada. Your ignorance regarding my country and it's cultures are obviously to complex for you to grasp, stick with what's new on Coronation Street. People like yourself are used to having the government TELL you the way things should be, all good little sheep enjoying all of those camera's watching you closely.

I remember when all the lefty little nancy boys cried to the point they all got together and had the U.K. government ban the fox hunt that had been apart of your culture for generations, what a complete joke. I would be surprised if you can even hunt for pheasant anymore in the U.K., or has that been taken away by all the whiny little girls as well? Hey, while we are on the subject of hunting, are pointy sticks and stones banned over there yet? I heard it's so pathetic that citizens camping can't even have a knife in excess of 4 inches... Sir Winston Churchill would be crying if he saw the state of what used to be the British Empire.

Excuse me while I try and go find some fantastic images I took of 5 Whitetail Deer me and my friends took down last fall while hunting. They are all hanging nicely from a spit between two tree's, perfectly field dressed and ready for the trip home -including the one I took with a 30-06 Winchester Model 70 Using a Zeiss Conquest Scope. It's great to be a Canadian, and I am very proud of my heritage and my culture, you can keep the mess that is left of yours.
edit on 1-6-2012 by Jocko Flocko because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-6-2012 by Jocko Flocko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Don't mess with Canada!
Here in Norway we use the norwegian designed seal-clubbing tool called "Hakapik".
Named after the sound when it hits the bone structure*!!?? HAKKAH-PICK! (Deny Ignorance! *)

Seriously! IMO: If you care about animals adopt from local animal shelters...

edit on 1-6-2012 by Ninth Wave because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweetstuff
First of all, Canada's national sport? Maybe you should educate yourself on the facts a bit, as the majority of Canadians, myself included live no where near any seals, nor engage in any seal hunting and there have been protests, as well as letters written to parliment on the practice which I agree is horrific.

However lumping all Canadians in as seal killing clubbers would be no different than me calling all Americans war hounds, etc. Deny ignorance.

Yes really. Most of us do NOT live that far north. Talk about over-generalization.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
to be honest big deal in the scheme of the world.

The elite rich the 1% let the 99% of us starve and make life a battle for us all that is worse then clubbing seals and this happens every day...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
It's sad and it's cruel. It just shouldn't happen period. I just think that there are much more pressing issues going on in the World right now that are much more important.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

reply to post by sweetstuff

Well a country is as a country does. You have voted for your current government and they are still not acting on this quickly enough.

IT seen worldwide as a Canadian THING. Its been going on for decade!! More people in canada last year protested for the legalization of POT that for the stopping of SEAL clubbling!! Why is that?

A country is as a country does? Okay Mr.Gump. You don't state your location, but odds are that some attrocities happen there too - so oh you are as your country does too. Really, you could have drawn some important attention to the seal issue if you had not worded your post so clumsily and untruthful.

The fact is, if you live in ANY country, and are a meat eater, watch the video below. Can I now call you a horrible person too now?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
You make it sound like most Canadians partake in this or cheer it on. There are no seals where I live and if there were, clubbing them would not be tolerated. It's just the mentality of whoever these vicious people are and how they were brought up and taught this as their culture., which does not represent Canada as a whole.

I agree it's really sickening this goes on but so is picking off innocent deer with a rifle. Hunting goes on all over the world.

link   
reply to post by Darkmask

It's sad and it's cruel. It just shouldn't happen period. I just think that there are much more pressing issues going on in the World right now that are much more important.

Are you a 100% pure vegetarian? If you're not, take a visit to your local poultry, fish, beef or swine slaughter house. I guarantee what you see will make clubbing seals seem like absolutely nothing.

link   

It's all taking life.

What the poster said was that there is all sorts of life being taken all the time and that everybody differentiates it in their own way.

I would love to know if you eat meat? Do you? Let's hear it. If you do, then you ought to watch the video I just posted in this thread and tell me if you can live with yourself eating meat from animals that were treated this way. I don't eat meat so I wouldn't know. I don't kill seals either. But where do you draw the line? PEOPLE DRAW IT DIFFERENTLY!

link   
You mean you guys up in Canada all run around with clubs looking for baby seals to beat the life out of?

I guess it makes sense since all us 'mericans carry guns and look for wars to fight.

Sorry, I don't ever paint any group with such a wide brush.

Too bad Paul Watson's in jail. Was he extradited to Costa Rica from Germany yet? There's a man who even if you don't agree with, you have to admit he backs up his words with real actions. If my health was better and I could afford the trip, and he was out of jail, I'd join him on his fight against the seal slaughters.

I don't care who's doing it, it's sick and twisted and the so called "men" are among the weakest of character on the planet. From where I grew up in Chicago and the neighborhoods I lived in L.A. I'm positive I could deal with three of those murdering jackasses at a time, unarmed. Man they piss me off.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by gate13
to be honest big deal in the scheme of the world.

The elite rich the 1% let the 99% of us starve and make life a battle for us all that is worse then clubbing seals and this happens every day...

Wrong, they worked and strived and did what they had to to get where they are. The 99% are mostly lazy undeserving useless people.

Clubbing seals is pure cowardly but then again its a Canadian thing.......clubbing seals...what else is there to say.

I hate people that have a problem with the Rich. Disgusting.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Where does the Atlantic seal hunt take place? The hunt usually opens in March in the "Gulf" areas around the Magdalen Islands and Prince Edward Island. The main hunt on the so-called "front" usually begins in April off the east coast of Newfoundland. It's pretty much over by May. The total allowable catch for harp seals is split between two areas: 70 per cent for the waters off Newfoundland and 30 per cent for the St. Lawrence Gulf region. How many are they allowed to hunt? There are federal quotas for three types of seals: harp seals, hooded seals and grey seals. Most of the hunt is for harp seals. The 2009 harp seal total allowable catch has been set at 280,000, up slightly from the previous year. That's down from the 2006 quota of 325,000, and about the same as the quota set from 1997 to 2002. The catch in 2001 was 226,000. In 2000, it was just 92,000 seals. Seal hunters do not always catch as many seals as they are allowed and sometimes they are allowed to exceed the pre-season quota. The 2009 total allowable catch is 8,200 for hooded seals and 50,000 for grey seals. What about those cute whitecoat seals? Whitecoats are newborn harp seals. Most Canadians can recall pictures of whitecoated seal pups being clubbed. The images were so inflammatory that Canada banned all hunting of whitecoats and bluebacks (otherwise known as hooded seals) in 1987. You'd never know that from some of the anti-sealing groups that still prominently display pictures of whitecoats on their websites and in fundraising materials. One site even features a downloadable video of people hugging whitecoats. The reality is that whitecoats can't be hunted anymore. It's also true that young harp seals lose their white coats (and their protection) at about 12 to 14 days of age. After that, they're fair game for hunters, although they're usually about 25 days old before they're hunted. Most harp seals taken are under the age of three months. Young yes, whitecoats no. Are seals skinned alive? This is a frequent accusation levelled by hunt opponents. The International Fund for Animal Welfare says seals are routinely clubbed or shot and left to suffer on the ice until they're clubbed later. The IFAW also charges that seals are often "skinned before being rendered fully unconscious" and said its observers found that few sealers check for a blinking reflex to confirm brain death before skinning begins. Similar "skinning alive" accusations have also been made by other groups, with many citing studies claiming that up to 45 per cent of seals are "skinned alive." A 2002 report in the Canadian Veterinary Journal found that "the large majority of seals taken during this hunt … are killed in an acceptably humane manner." This study found that 98 per cent of hunted seals it examined had been killed properly. The federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) cites this study among others as proof that the hunt opponents are wrong in their accusations of widespread cruelty. Regarding the "skinning alive" charge, the DFO says appearances can be deceiving. "Sometimes a seal may appear to be moving after it has been killed," the DFO says. "However, seals have a swimming reflex that is active, even after death. This reflex falsely appears as though the animal is still alive when it is clearly dead — similar to the reflex in chickens." Furthermore, the DFO says the club, or hakapik, used by many sealers is "an efficient tool" that kills "quickly and humanely." The Royal Commission on Seals and Sealing in Canada found that clubbing, when properly performed, is at least as humane as killing methods in commercial slaughterhouses. Opponents say clubbing often isn't "properly performed." The federal government acknowledges that it has laid more than 200 charges against sealers since 1996, but argues that shows it's serious about enforcing its regulations. How does the seal hunt benefit Canada? The economic value of the seal hunt is another one of those things that is open to interpretation. The federal government says the landed value of seals exceeded $16.5 million in 2005, providing a "significant" source of income for thousands of sealers — benefiting them and their families at a time when, according to the DFO, "other fishing options are unavailable, or limited at best, in many remote, coastal communities."

Source

Now perhaps you might be able to explain why you display a young topless ?? Girl as your avatar pic ? Seems strange that a parent ? Would want such a pic of there child displayed in such a fashion ?

See ignorance can work both ways

<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join