It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why CANADA should hang its head in SHAME in 2012!! (Warning: Graphic Pics)

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by novemberecho

Just to engage in a bit of honest, polite debate in this otherwise shouty thread....

Pros
- It is for profit (food and clothing) not for fun
- It is done under government regulations
- It is done to supplement the income of fishermen who need something to pay the bills during the winter months
- Ostensibly, it is also done to protect dangerously depleted fish stock from further collapse (seals eat fish). They don't have many natural predators around as most are endangered and in short supply.

Cons
- It is brutal to kill a defenseless baby animal
- They really are damn cute
- There are other ways that fishermen could find ways to make money
- People don't NEED sealskins, seal furs, or other seal products to survive

But why is this any different than the 60 MILLION turkeys which are killed every year in the US for Thanksgiving? Or any other living creature that is killed for human use?

So my question is this...why should people stop doing this? Is it your point that all animal killing should be stopped?

Isn't anything less than that pretty indefensible?

edit on 1-6-2012 by Pellinore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Wow he really showed himself in this tread as a bigot, lonely for some sort of attention lol. Just an out right attack on Canadians . Rather tasteless. Much like the photo . And the whole persona. Tasteless

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Pellinore

The Eskimos need it they been hunting it for thousands of years , it is a big part culture. Goods such as food and clothing are damn near impossible to ship that far north in the winter time . I do support the hunt , just not for profit . Take only what is needed to survive kinda thing and nothing more.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
This is what we're coming to. I'm all for hunting and fishing and etc but when it comes to senselessly beating a poor animal just for the fur, this is just disgusting. It's not even hunting, it's just abuse. As I've said before on animal abuse, if you're going to abuse an animal, you deserve the same exact treatment x 10. That animal is defenseless. Whether you believe in God or not, it's a work of nature and a fellow citizen on this planet and did NOTHING to deserve this whatsoever.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
This really saddens me to see this. I became a vegetarian after long thought about omitting meat from my diet after seeing things like this.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Six6Six

this is absurd, it is beyond comprehension why they would choose to do this in this way? i know that it will probably have something to do with tradition i'm no expert. but surely this method of harvesting (no other word for it really) seals for their fur is outdated. we have synthetic materials that perform as well as natural materials so why should they continue to do something that isn't necessery? i'm going to say money. S&F.

EDIT: i'd just like to add that although the message within the post is sound and the title caught my eye, it certainly gives the impression that all canadians are seal clubbers. it puts shame on the politicians really, they are the ones who have the power to stop this sort of thing, they banned fox hunting in england and that too was an out dated tradition that was no longer relevant.
edit on 1/6/2012 by josephamccoy because: see EDIT

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
What we are seeing is the true Canadian (at least on ATS on this particular thread)

They know there is a problem with something their country is at the forefront of and yet they stand up and shout
at everyone else who DOESN'T do it. They condone it through and thorugh...just because each of them starts their BS post with "I dont condone seal massacring etcetc" they are quick to try and throw insults and not look at how they are part of the problem.....yet the solution is typical of the Canadian citizen, whatever their government does they except FULLY and keep their mouths shut....

You don't see any of them truly giving a damn about the crimes committed in order for a few fisherman to make a buck...that is all its about MAKING MONEY!!!!

edit on 1-6-2012 by Six6Six because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Ah the Canadians, known for their national pastime love of Hockey. These guys are used to blood on the ice. If you are all so against it, why is it that it's still happening? Does anyone up there really "care" enough to do something about it besides grandstand behind their keyboard? Just saying you don't agree or like it does absolutely nothing to stop the problem. You must be the change you want to see in the world.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
More on the argument of this being a issue that we should put shame on Canada as a whole I believe is incorrect. I could go down a list of cruel, disgusting, inhuman things that PEOPLE in every country are guilty of but because those people do it does not put shame and blame on the country as a whole. I live in the US and I can tell you that even in my country alone citizens break law and commit horrible acts of violence against animals just for the hell of it.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Hello Mods, this threat is using seal clubbing as a way to bash an entire nation. Many in this thread have repeatedly mentioned the reason why FEW in the north do this type of hunting.

Please close this thread, the OP isuneducated, stubborn and is full of ignorance.
edit on 6/1/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by PennKen2009

Coming to?

After thousands of years of the indeinous peoples hunting them in this manner?

link   
At first I wasn't even going to bother commenting - I think it's unfortunate that an issue that so many people are genuinely passionate about nearly always ends up getting lost in the 'typical' internet banter - but, alas, here I am...

Why is it that this issue (and so many others) can't seem to be discussed without the ignorance and stereotyping? This isn't just true of the OP and this thread - Look all over the internet and find that the same topic eventually descends into the debate about which country is better than all others, amongst other things. I'm waiting for a fellow Canadian to bring up 'burning down the White House,' for the billionth time.

Do Canadians have a right to be offended by the statements made in the OP? Of course. Does that mean we should all bring ourselves down to the ignorant level of the OP? I don't think we should, but that's just me and some would disagree, and hey, that's OK.

Atrocities happen every single second of every single day. There is good and bad everywhere on this planet, as there are good and bad people, such is the dualistic nature of life. I believe that most people are good - I have to believe that is true to get by. But, regardless of this, bad things still happen, and will always happen, unfortunately.

I am a Canadian, and no, I don't support the seal hunt. But I also understand that there are two sides to this issue and I have yet to formulate a solution that will benefit both sides, so I'll refrain from speaking about how I believe it is 'wrong,' because that is just my opinion of the subject, and an opinion isn't a solution.

Am I offended by the OP? Yes - But not as a Canadian - I'm offended as a resident of planet Earth. There is an issue here to be discussed, debated - Like I said before, it's just unfortunate that this issue, as with many, many others, tends to be lost in a sea of ignorance from all sides - How can we expect to bring about real change to this planet when we can't even get past the silly bickering amongst ourselves?

I tend to view life in a zero-sum sense... Either we all win, or we all lose. Let's work together instead of tearing each other apart every chance we get.

To the OP,

If you actually are passionate about this topic and not just using it as a means to get a rise out of people (which I suspect you might be doing), why not gather up all of the facts (from both sides) and present them in such a manner that the seal hunt remains the focus of the debate? Why not, instead of just stating your opinion of the subject, be proactive and try to find a solution to something you view as 'wrong?'

There are many others out there who are doing just that. Sure, it's an uphill battle, but yet they still push on - And they do it without descending to the levels of your ignorant post. Ignorance is the last thing this world needs more of.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Six6Six

That seems to be typical of humans in general. We live "here" and there's bad stuff going on "over there"...so we talk about it over tea with our friends, and we post about it on Facebook and start threads about it on ineffectual forums, but we never really get out and do anything about it.

OP, for your part in making noise with no real action or attempt to solve anything you whine about...I declare you an honorary Canadian. Welcome to the club (pun intended).

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JourPolaire

Hear hear! Well said, my fellow Canuck. Thank you for taking the high road.

I am also a proud Canadian. And I will be honest.

I cannot stand up and condemn those who participate in killing baby seals.

I don't agree with it and I would never do it myself, but I can't condemn it. Why?

Because I eat and wear animal parts and so do nearly all of you. Killing a seal = killing any animal. For fur, leather, burgers, bacon, sealskin, or medicine.

It's all taking life.

So why get bent about one but not another? Outrage at one killing but not another is an unconsidered and emotional response.

Isn't it? Feels like it to me.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Holy sh*t! What is wrong with these people? Have they not received the universal memo that this kind of sh*t is not normal behaviour? As OP said, Two-Thousand f*cking Twelve (2012!) - and we're still clubbing baby seals to death? Do they not have that little voice inside their head that says, "Hey, man, clubbing baby seals to death is pretty f*cked,"? Seriously, what goes through their minds when they're beating cute little baby f*cking seals to death in a bloody, screaming mess? Nothing at all? Excitement?

Jesus H. Christ have we got a problem on our hands or what. I wish I had the money to travel to Canada and do something about this personally. What an utterly ridiculous tradition. Only the scum of the earth could sink so low to participate in this psychotic frenzy. They oughta lock all these crazy bastards in a Colosseum and let them club each other to death if they're so thirsty for blood. Everybody wins in that scenario.

God damn.. mild hangover with heavy baby seal massacre is not a brilliant start to the day

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join