It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is why INFOWARS is a crap website and a terrible news source

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This Thread was started recently, after the Daily Paul picked up on a story that infowars had copied and pasted from a year-old news source. Several other websites also apparently jumped on infowars 'story' before doing even a teeny bit of heir own research (just do a google search and witness all the gold-clearinghouse websites featuring it in the past few days.)

Now, some may say 'yes, its old, but its still true'. But the issue here is that infowars and others picked up on something that they presented as if it was current news. And it wasnt. But most these sites dont care about that, because they only want you to come to their website so they can get more money for ads. They dont care about truth or accuracy.

So remember that next time you think something is 'news' because its posted on a crap website like INFOWARS.
Journalism=actual research. Crap=copy and paste articles from actual news sources, often without crucial context.

Any Questions?

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

No questions but a comment...

Thedailypaul, which was the OP's source at least had the decency to correct themselves once it was discovered to be an old and inaccurate report.

www.dailypaul.com...

edit on 28/5/12 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Thedailypaul had the decency to correct themselves once it was discovered to be an old and inaccurate report.

Yes, it was their correction which lead me tot he source article.

Of course, it would be better if they added the correction at the top of the article, since clearly the majority of the public doesnt read past the headline. I see they now have done just that.

Or, do some actual journalism and see what ever happened to this proposed shotgun ban from a year ago that apparently never materialized.
edit on 28-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
It is a rare occasion when Alex corrects a published error on his part.
Other than his ego that gets the better of him time to time, he does do a lot of good getting out important information to new listeners. Keyword - New... old listeners have many more news & information sources than just Infowars.

The info I got from Alex, like food & water toxicity, big pharma corruption, CIA experimentation on civilians, etc., I've spread that "good info" to others and all our lives have improved greatly.

The guy is far from perfect, but I don't think his goal is to be a perfect being. I also don't think 99% of his life's work should be tossed away as garbage because of a few mistakes. Conspiracy researchers hardly use Infowars as a main source anyway.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

'm not saying that some of what they print isnt true. (although id never claim it anywhere near your 99% figure.

I'm saying they arent a good SOURCE.

They dont do journalism. They mainly just copy and paste articles, and ad a sensationalist headline.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
They dont do journalism. They mainly just copy and paste articles, and ad a sensationalist headline.

couple things about this statement....
I'm not sure he meant to ever be a journalist, and I might be disorganized in my thoughts here, but I do agree there's a bit of sensationalism there.

I always thought his main purpose was to take other people's journalism - multiple sources - and connect dots....

I would consider Alex Jones more of a puzzle solver than a journalist. Sometimes he's right, sometimes he's wrong. Sometimes I bet he wishes he'd done the crossword in pencil.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Journalism above the local level is completely compromised and manipulated. Real national journalism is dead, Alex is about as close as we're going to get as far as national news being dissected.

His guests are the better parts of his show too. Doctors, lawyers, celebrities, and the callers contribute the most to inforwars I think. He really doesn't screen his callers, I've called and talked to him myself, I could have said anything I wanted to a global audience.

That's rare on the national radio level, I appreciate it. I don't know if he was expecting to be where he is today, but he's handling it better than I could in his shoes.

ETA- How can you not love the guy with all his crazy antics?

edit on 28-5-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Alex Jones was one of the first sources I discovered once I found out things were not as they would seem to be.

Despite what many people might think about him, he has done a lot to raise awareness of the utter nonsense that is plaguing this planet. I think that alone far outweighs the negative aspect of his tendency to sensationalize.

All news sources should be taken with a grain of salt anyway.

And this is hilarious.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

But you don't need old bullhorn to scream it at you - that information is out there, I've even seen documentaries on CIA testing on the populace. All jones does is polarize people into the "Jones is a mess" camp and the "Jones is the new christ" camp. It doesn't help as much as you think.

I believe it hinders more than help. As if in religion, you get some folk that follow a set life without ever anyone knowing they go to church on sunday, and then you get the screaming lunatics that tell you everyone is going to hell unless they follow their brand of godbollocks.

Makes them all look like fruit loops and unless someone is already hell bent of finding a cause to scream behind, it just makes normal folk walk away shaking their head.

A soft voice can attract more attention than a scream, if the intent is to educate.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

There's a wide variety of personalities on this planet, and the majority of them get all their knowledge from the idiot box. Those people are programed and deeply hypnotized, their core beliefs are buried in their brains like a tick hiding in a fat guy's stomach rolls.

Sometime a bullhorn is needed to wake them up, sometimes a soft NPR voice does the trick, and sometimes nothing more is needed other than leading by example. I choose the latter option.

There is no one out there who is loved by everyone, I'm sure Mother Teresa was booed at times.
It should be about what information can be used to better ourselves, and Alex has never been "the source" for the information he broadcasts, he's pretty much just a messenger. A loud, funny, off the wall messenger who makes mistakes, and if he was taken out, someone else would take his place, and the band will play on and on until the ship finally sinks.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
You are being much too kind in calling it a crap website.

Sin of commission and sins of omission prevail.
edit on 29-5-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Alex Jones was one of the very first forays into the world of CTs for me. However, he does often get his facts wrong. Here's a page that debunks the Bohemian Grove film as one example of how he misleads people:

conspiracies.skepticproject.com...

Read it if you dare, and keep an open mind if you would.

After all, keeping an open mind should work both ways.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Alex Jones is not the only person at infowars. I am criticizing he entire operation, not just the egotistical controlled opposition of Alex Jones.

They sell fear. Dont buy it.

new topics

top topics

join