It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Properly Commenting On A Lady's Looks?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
If a woman is very attractive, what would be the proper way to compliment her on her looks without sounding like a douche bag?

This is something I get confused on, because sometimes when I tell a woman that she is looking good, even if I don't say it in a rude way, well, that woman got angry at me and started lecturing me about how men only see her, ahem, physical attributes. It could've been the tone of my voice, but I do what I can to control the tone of my voice. And when I do try to compliment a woman, I try my best to carefully choose the right words. Even at that though it sometimes doesn't help.

So I repeat the question, how does one properly compliment a woman on how she looks?

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Is this a joke?

Men having been trying to crack this little Chestnut....

Since all we could do is grunt.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I like "DAAAAYUMM girl!"

Seriously though, I don't think there's anything wrong with telling someone they look nice - Male or female. If you are respectful about it and they still get an attitude, then screw em.

You could go the extra careful route and try to compliment something specific and not immediately sexual, so instead of "you lookin' good girl!" try "I really like your hair tonight.." or something equally benign.

I've never really used any lines, never complimented a girl until I've had a chance to talk to her for awhile and feel out her personality.. My favorite pick up line is "hi." So if you're talking about complimenting a girl's looks right off the bat, ignore all that.

edit on 28-5-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

You need to be sincere. So dont go overboard.

Compliment as many strangers as you can and it will make you feel less worried about it.

And girls love it if you notice their hair. If its cut or different.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

There is no entirely safe way, because they can always come back with "So you're implying that I don't look good at other times".

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

No, this is not a joke thread.

It was just something I was thinking about.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

And when I do try to compliment a woman, I try my best to carefully choose the right words.

Dont do that. Something simple and easy is the way to go. It should not sound constructed or planned. Just go simple and then move along.

And like I said,compliment as many strangers as you can. And dont worry. Compliments are nice but it wont make or break the deal.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
reply to post by whyamIhere

No, this is not a joke thread.

It was just something I was thinking about.

When you figure out this one size fits all approach...

Please U2U me.

I thought it was a trick question....Sorry.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
OK here goes the best I can..

1) If you have to ask what to say, you are sunk already. We have a sixth sense and it picks up the fear in a man's tone.. (j/k)

2) Seriously... Don't compliment the makeup or the glam, talk about how nice she looks, and throw in a "but you'd also look good in ripped jeans and an old t-shirt" (that's my favorite to hear)

3) don't think too much about it, when you think to much that's when the stupid stuff comes out. Most men i've encountered put too much thought into everything to do with women, yeah we like to be told we're pretty or beautiful, but also to be treated and talked to like human beings, not like an item to be won.

4) I find this amusing to be answering after your rant in another thread about how Women and Children would stab you in the back first chance they got, a definite nono to say to a woman...

I personally don't care how people see me, I've been told I'm everything from cute to "hawt" to OMG you're fugly, what I care about is that they care enough to say it to me, and not about me. It's all in the delivery and the tone, although you'll find that most women HATE being called fat or ugly....

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Is the lady in question a stranger or someone you know?

If she's a stranger, then she might think you're simply complimenting her with the intention of a quickie later on (sorry for the crude remark).

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Honesty is the best policy.

And a woman that can't take a compliment isn't one you want for the long haul anyways.

My simple two cents. ^.^

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Let your eyes do the talking while you engage her interests. She will know that you find her attractive without you having to say a word.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I would say that what you say, ultimately won't be of importance. You have to say it with confidence.

If you look like a weakling, women will love you only in a Hollywood movie, and leave with the confident brute.

Right, babes?

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi
I would say that what you say, ultimately won't be of importance. You have to say it with confidence.

If you look like a weakling, women will love you only in a Hollywood movie, and leave with the confident brute.

Right, babes?

please no.......... Most guys that try the confidant route come across as egotistical brutes... and I do not find that attractive.. I'd rather be with the geeky guy in the back of the room (but since I'm a geekette, makes sense)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

I said confident, not a brute...

And the two should not automatically be linked. It's like saying an open-minded woman is an easy one.

---

Let's say confident with a uniform.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I agree with the poster who said to "say is with your eyes." But also remember, while you're saying it with your eyes, that HER eyes are up here!

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Great question OP.

This all depends on the woman. Some like to be told flat out that they are "Hot", "Stunning" or "Sexy". But then again some women would think your a creeper if you just randomly walk up to her and drop lines. Be subtle and sincere. I would say engage in conversation with her and kind of ease it on her.

"Might I say you are looking beautiful this evening." I would say that is pretty subtle. Most women like being called "Beautiful" as opposed of "Hot", "Stunning" or "Sexy".

Just from my own days. Here my .02 take it for what its worth.

-SAP-

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
1 - it has to be genuine. You can't go up to every girl and tell her she has beautiful eyes because you won't mean it and she can tell. Really find the most beautiful thing about her (physical or not) and comment her on that. Just sit in a park or a mall for a day and try to appreciate the beauty of the women you see. Once you get that, start complimenting everyone.

2 - Be confident, grounded. You can be excited and even a little nervous but you want the integrity of your words to come out (point # 1 about being genuine). When you are not grounded, you come off - well, a bit like a creeper which is why you are getting the reactions you are. If you were sincere -- you could say the most outrageous things with little issue.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Complementing a beautiful woman is suicide in the dating world..

They know they're beautiful, and they don't need you to tell them...

I would advise against it at all costs... at least until you get to know them really well...

Stay aloof bro...

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Complementing a beautiful woman is suicide in the dating world..

They know they're beautiful, and they don't need you to tell them...

I would advise against it at all costs... at least until you get to know them really well...

Stay aloof bro...

Bingo. Its background noise for some chicks. Compliments will not make or break the deal. If she wants to have sex with you,she wants to have sex with you. And its actually good to insult hot girls in a playful way. They like that. It gets their attention.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join