It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mysterious Socotra Island (Must See!)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+65 more 
posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Guys! You think you've seen it all? Check this out and you'll realize how little we know of our beautiful planet!

This is Socotra Island, a part of a group of four islands, which has been geographically isolated from mainland Africa for the last 6 or 7 million years. The climate is harsh, hot and dry, and yet the most amazing plant life thrives there. You'd think you're on an alien planet! Pandora-II?

All photographs courtesy: Fun On The Net

www.funonthenet.in...

edit on 28-5-2012 by OrionHunterX because: (no reason given)

+86 more 
posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

STOP TELLING PEOPLE THIS PLACE EXISTS!!

a bunch of fat toxic sunscreen wearing mcdonalds eating greedy sheep are going to FLOCK there and ruin it with tourism!

everyone keeps posting this everywhere!

"oh look LOOK HOW BEAUTIFUL IT IS!!"

10 years later:

once a beautiful place, now a wasteland full of waterparks and hotels, one of the last refuges of preserved nature now destroyed, looking like every other vacation resort.

milked DRY of its beauty and purity.
edit on 28-5-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
how beautiful those plants are - thanks - good find

s/f

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

I was just gonna say once the west find out it's over. They will cut down the plants and make the latest dietary supplement out of it. But I think it's too late. Someone went and started taking pictures.

+10 more 
posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
when do we invade?

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
certainly agreed that this is a awesome place, and yes i am sure someone will ruin it..
would be an awesome place for an underground bunker home

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Great place, love those big mushroom looking trees. Agree keep it quiet beautiful as it is. Thanks for the share.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Actually, I just looked into it. It's already settled by people and it's already a tourism attraction so it's not just newly found mysterious place. Just another area that hasn't been over run and destroyed by well, I don't have to say it. We already know who.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
How long before we see the BIG MAC sign!!

What a shame its been found.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I sure hope there is no oil there. It is a beautiful place.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
This place is so amazing I hope the residents can keep the tourists away.

Right now it seems tourism is somewhat limited. The locals want to promote scientific tourism.

Safe drinking water is an issue. Monsoons hit the island pretty hard making most areas inaccessible. There are very few roads, one port and an airport. Strong winds can make landing by sea impossible most days.

The locals are trying to keep non-native flora/fauna off the island. They have spiritual attachments to their trees etc. From what I read non indigenous trees/vegetation isn’t allowed to be planted without government approval. Sadly the locals do harvest the wood. Since dead wood is in short supply they often take live trees.

It’s a rough place not too many creature comforts for the typical tourist. Imports are very expensive most locals subsist on whatever the ocean/land offers. There are small vegetable gardens but no wide scale agriculture.

I hope the locals can control the kind of tourism they want. The only problem I see is Yemen is exploring the possibility of oil production on the island. That would be horrible. I don’t know if the people of Socotra could keep Yemeni oil speculators away.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Very lovely and quite remarkable how several pieces of the landscape look like something you would see underwater . I think I fancy a trip around the world now

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Yeah has potential,lose those trees,tarmac the beach,you'd have a hell of a marina,I mean what a place of outstanding natural beauty,needs to be left alone!

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

10 / 10 post, Orion HunterX ! Amazing place ! Let,s hope it stays that way....

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
That looks like an amazing peaceful place.
And those are some fat ass trees.

Hopefully this island is preserved like it should be. I am glad the locals are keeping foreign plants out of there, It just takes 1 seed or 1 bug to wipe out the native spices.

s&f

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
OOh, I discovered that Island a few years ago (on internet of course) and it is my favorite Island, absolutely fantastic pictures.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Could you imagine if your plane crashed there?

And you woke up and wondered around the island thinking WTF? i dunno about you guys but id freak out, i have never seen anything like those trees and plants except maybe somewhere... i would be thinking, OHHH CRAPPP!!! *Home Alone face* IVE GONE BACK IN TIME!!!, i would then proceed to creep around the island rummaging around for exotic fruit & food, i would be on edge because i wouldn't be able to get out of my head that a T-Rex maybe lurking in the middle of the island

It really does look Jurassic tho doesn't it?

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
For all of those wishing to visit just remember that all those trees are carnivorous man-eaters. (we could only wish)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
i wonder what they taste like????

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska

STOP TELLING PEOPLE THIS PLACE EXISTS!!

a bunch of fat toxic sunscreen wearing mcdonalds eating greedy sheep are going to FLOCK there and ruin it with tourism!

everyone keeps posting this everywhere!

"oh look LOOK HOW BEAUTIFUL IT IS!!"

10 years later:

once a beautiful place, now a wasteland full of waterparks and hotels, one of the last refuges of preserved nature now destroyed, looking like every other vacation resort.

milked DRY of its beauty and purity.
edit on 28-5-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

Couldnt agree more.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join