It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tropical Storm Beryl? Umm...again and in roughly the same area?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I say "again" due to this ATS thread authored in 2006:

Tropical Storm Beryl?

How's this for an uncanny likeness? Here is the track from the 2006 storm:

...and here is the current radar image for Beryl Part Deux

Tropical Storm Beryl is headed for landfall Sunday night near the border of Georgia and Florida. Beryl has made the transition from a subtropical system to a fully tropical storm. The increased organization we've seen during the first half of Sunday has also caused the winds to increase to around 65 mph. Little change in strength is expected prior to landfall. Below is an outline of what we expect from this second named storm of the season.

Source: The Weather Channel
edit on 5/27/2012 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

It looks to me like the images in the 2006 thread are actually up to date images of right now. I may be reading that wrong though.

upload.wikimedia.org...
edit on 27-5-2012 by Mapkar because: fixed link

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

It looks like the link to NOAA in the OP of the 2006 thread takes one to whatever the current storm is being tracked. Ironically in this case, it is virtually the same storm just 6 years apart lol.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Imagine that, a tropical system hitting Florida.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

It's probably because that page turns up when you search for Beryl in the search function.

The labeling on those maps isn't exactly straight forward if you don't deal with them very often. That through me off for a moment as well!

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Granted, but you have to at least appreciate the "odds" factor here.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

The "odds" of a Tropical storm hitting Florida?

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
Imagine that, a tropical system hitting Florida.

Letter "B" and hurricane season doesn't even start for another 5 days. Also, they said subtropical system and all of a sudden it's now a tropical system on the border of being classified a hurricane.

I'm not saying conspiracy and as far as the OP goes, what a coincidence, but this does tell me that Al Roker and Jim Cantore - who pass for my liaisons with NOAA, I suppose - cannot be relied upon 100% to tell me what I need to get concerned about and what I don't need to...this could easily become a hurricane with little to no warning and I'm actually getting hit by a feeder band as we speak.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

I stand corrected, the link the OP pointed to in the 2006 thread was to the current NOAA storm information and did show the current Beryl. I updated the OP however, the storms still have some coincidental similarities.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

Hurricane Season 2006: Beryl (Atlantic)

Tropical Storm Beryl Heads North for Nova Scotia, Canada

ya me too.
thanks for the heads up.

ohh Cape Breton here,,

edit on 27-5-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

No, the odds that two storms with the same name forming in roughly the same area. Personally, I find that to be rather coincidental, but you've made it perfectly clear that we don't share the same enthusiasm

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

It's pretty crazy how that did happen though, the same place twice? Pretty cool stuff. I'm anticipating this hurricane season to be interesting, but with some care to not take these two early storms as any indication to the rest of the season's showings. These two storms are interesting, but I almost wonder if they're going to be out of the ordinary for the entire season?... Hmm.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Tropical Systems have common trends and tend to go in the same areas, so this being in a similar area with the same name is not too weird, especially since it is early in the season.....each month pretty much has places where cyclones tend to occur

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Goradd

Would you be so kind as to list some examples of similar occurrences in this thread? Preferably the names of the storms, when they occurred, and their similarity in locations? Thanks in advance.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Gorrad is correct, storms do tend to form in general areas during certain times of the year.

See the National Hurricane Center's website for diagrams.. www.nhc.noaa.gov...

While the areas are often conducive to development in a predictable pattern, I still think it's quite neat how these two storms have been so close.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

Thanks for posting that link. I am a native born Floridian so I have seen a storm or two. I was aware that storm tracks follow certain patterns, but I do think it is neat that these two were named the same.

Despite other posters saying this happens a lot. I personally found no information about two storms named alike that formed in roughly the same area with a similar track.

The interesting part about this season so far is that both named storms this year were low pressure systems that came across the gulf first and then turned into the named systems once in the Atlantic. In my time, as a resident of this state, I don't recall many storms originating in such a fashion.

new topics

top topics

join