It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is the gospel of jesus?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by BBobb

That is because the story of Jesus is not an original one. Jesus was a human prophet, given godly attributes by Constantine, who was attempting to unify the soul of religion by including the stories of all faiths. It is not the story that matters, but what the story talks about. That is why so many gospels are missing from the New Testament.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I believe that there may have very well been a "Gospel of Jesus" written. The Essenes were scribes and wrote of Jesus a lot. These scribes were later known as Gnostics. The Gnostic texts were deemed heretical by the Roman Catholic Church because they didn't ascribe godly divinity to Jesus, and were destroyed whenever they were found.

If there was a book entitled the Gospel of Jesus, it would have also been destroyed, in order to perpetuate the lies of the Catholic Church.
edit on 27-5-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnochWasRight
reply to post by TKDRL

The most important people to ever walk the earth never wrote their words themselves. Jesus, Aristotle, Confucius, Muhammad (Mirrored Truth) and so on. Read their words, written by disciples, and you are reading true perspective to find truth.

I would counter with the most important people actually DID write down their words themselves.

Einstein
Tesla
Newton
Hawking
Archimedes

But.. I guess it depends on what you hold important. Esoteric mumblings or human progress.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Jesus: "Pilate, before your guards scourge me silly and then nail my hands to the cross, do you think I might have a few moments to jot all of this down on some papyrus? Oh, and could I borrow a quill and some ink?"

Pilate: "Alas young man, I already promised my writing implements to that Barrabas chap and he's since run off with them. I should've really thought about that since I'm sure he knows not how to write....
And besides, I'm late for an engagement. I'm the special "annointer" at this year's New Priestesses of Venus orgy..er um..Festival. I am terribly sorry for your troubles, were that I had the power to put a stop to it, but alas I am but a mere Imperial Prefect of this here Province."

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
I believe that there may have very well been a "Gospel of Jesus" written. The Essenes, were scribes and wrote of Jesus a lot. These scribes were later known as Gnostics. The Gnostic texts were deemed heretical by the Roman Catholic Church because they didn't ascribe godly divinity to Jesus, and were destroyed whenever they were found.

If there was a book entitled the Gospel of Jesus, it would have also been destroyed, in order to perpetuate the lies of the Catholic Church.

That entire paragraph is completely wrong.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River

I believe that there may have very well been a "Gospel of Jesus" written. The Essenes, were scribes and wrote of Jesus a lot. These scribes were later known as Gnostics. The Gnostic texts were deemed heretical by the Roman Catholic Church because they didn't ascribe godly divinity to Jesus, and were destroyed whenever they were found.

I would say that entire paragraph is completely right. To include the Gospel of Jesus is to reveal the Teacher himself professing to be human...a mere human prophet. They would have to rewrite it to the point that it isn't even worth including anymore.
edit on 27-5-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I'm not sure what I believe when it comes to religion. He most certainly did claim to be more. He claimed to be the son of god, he claimed to be the I am, he allowed himself to be worshiped. That's why they killed him.

Anyone taking your questions seriously is wasting their time. You don't really care if there was a gospel. You don't believe there was anything special about him. You didn't even know what was already written about him so we are to believe you honestly care about whether or not there was a gospel written by him? Or just an opportunity for you to spout your unresearched view of Jesus...

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The problem is that the Gospels were all written 50-70 years after the death of Jesus by second-hand authors (not the disciples). The earliest Gospel, Mark, was a collection of miracle stories being passed around, as well as dictation from St. Peter who was a very, very old man by that time. Keep in mind, this Gospel was being written right after the Second Temple (where God promised he would reign for ever) was destroyed by the Romans and everybody was freaking out and losing faith in their God. Luke and Matthew then went on twenty years later to copy Mark's narrative as well as add information from a common source that scholars call 'Q'. Q has never been found but it is supposed be a collection of Jesus' sayings and parables. Some people believe it is the Gospel of Thomas. That would be the closest you would get to a Gospel of Jesus. Funnily enough, the Gospel of Jesus contains the most out there and esoteric teachings of all the Gospels.

In any case, writing the story of Jesus down (which is exactly what the authors of the Gospels did -- they wrote a story) was not a priority amongst the disciples. They were more concerned with preaching and repeating Jesus' parables and sayings. Gospel writers simply filled in the blanks (and the contradictions are there to prove this is what happened). After them came Paul who basically shaped what Christian dogma was to become (despite him never meeting the actual Jesus, only a supernatural vision). Let's just say The New Testament and the life and mind of Jesus are two completely different things.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by infiniteobserver

It is always an opportunity to spout about Jesus. And every time someone does so, it is always quotes. Never an original blurb.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

yet he did not leave any of his own writings behind?

That's one hell of a point.
The most logical answer would be that he never existed.
But I'm not even sure I believe that he didn't exist.
The fact that he didn't write a gospel of his own makes you think big time.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by EnochWasRight

God is the editor. Even our movies are unfolding the story to us as authors and playwrights are unwittingly inspired.

The storyline is written on our hearts. We know it by intuition.

Example. Link
edit on 26-5-2012 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

All that we have done and what we will do in the future is already written in our book before we were born in this world. The angels bring it to pass...

as for the poster..

Jesus did not write his gospel... but he instructed his disciple Barnabas to write everything down, a book which will be read and believed only by his true followers...!

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Originally posted by Jordan River

I would say that entire paragraph is completely right. To include the Gospel of Jesus is to reveal the Teacher himself professing to be human...a mere human prophet. They would have to rewrite it to the point that it isn't even worth including anymore.

Wow, you got stars for that ignorance about Gnostics and Doeticism... The Gnostics taught that all matter was evil, that Jesus only appeared to come here in the flesh, that He was some kind of ethereal ghost figure. So PLEASE tell how the Gnostics would have believed/taught that He was a mere human when they DENIED He was flesh and blood?????

Google "Doeticism" for Pete's sake.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by redneck13

Okay, firstly let me apologise for accusing you of plagiarism. It seems apparent that you simply have a few issues using the ‘quote’ button.

Originally posted by redneck13

A man preaches nothing but love, and his words have been twisted through history and used to justify all sorts of horrible deeds both now and in the past; and you try and convince me that God is 'managing his WORD'.
It is more than obvious that the only people managing these words are imperfect men with shady agendas.

The Christ taught love true, however we are given the power of choice, should someone pervert the scripture it is no longer God’s word. You have the choice not to believe them. Serpents, false prophets, you have all your answers in the word of the book.

I know, but you have to admit that the ‘Book‘ isn’t purely filled with messages of pure love. Despite your faith you cannot assure me that God’s word was not corrupted before it made it to the book, or even that the book is an accurate representation of how God would want his word portrayed in this day and age.

So answer me this redneck. There are many belief systems with many Holy Scriptures associated with them. They to are 'producing history' and the evidence is in the news and in the textbooks. Are they right too? Or will you try and convince me of their faults while at the same time ignoring the glaring inaccuracies present in your Holy Book.

If you believe God writes other books then those books must be true as well.
There are inaccuracies because man says there is, do they know more about the book than the author does?

The author was not God, it was man, and yes I do claim to know more than men who lived many many generations prior to me

Inaccuracies claimed to be in the content are irrelevant since the writer knows what is to be understood.

But does the reader know what is to be understood?

It is all very simple when you come to the understanding that we really are just sheeple and he is the master.

My view differs a little but yeah I’ll give you this one….

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by EnochWasRight

WOW!!! Now that was well said buddy! Thank you for enlightening ATS. You seem like you have a brain and are well educated. I'm glad to see someone defending truth with wise words.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

reply to post by TKDRL

The most important people to ever walk the earth never wrote their words themselves. Jesus, Aristotle, Confucius, Muhammad (Mirrored Truth) and so on. Read their words, written by disciples, and you are reading true perspective to find truth.

Umm, no. This is just false. Aristotle wrote all of his own philosophic works, plus works on other topics. No one did it for him. Socrates did not write anything down, but really there can be no distinction between the ideas of Socrates and Plato, for the most part at least. ...

Not to mention that the disciples of Jesus did not write their gospels while he was alive. Don't you think that would have been more appropriate had he wanted them to write his teachings for him, instead of waiting decades to record said teachings? I would be willing to bet that there must be written ideas from when Jesus was teaching, either written by himself or those who followed him. But we have no accounts from people who still had the ideas fresh in their minds.

The disciples did have motive for making Jesus out to be the son of God, and the similarities between Mithraism and Zoroastrianism, to name just a few, and Christianity are so profound as to make any educated person question whether the gospels are presenting the truth of who Jesus was and what he did, or whether he even existed at all. I am relatively sure that he did walk the earth, but whether he was actually who he claimed to be, if indeed he ever claimed that, I have no idea.

But as I said, the disciples were basically recruiting for their new church, so they had motive to aggrandize the truth to attract the more simple-minded followers of the day. But the truth is that there are people today who are just as simple-minded, because they were indoctrinated from birth into the religion. These people do not even know who they are, or realize that their arguments do not hold water, because they mistake the Bible as factual. There are blatant untruths in the Bible and that has been proven, so it makes one question the other material contained within. And as I said, there was reason for the New Testament writers, some of them, to cover up the truth.
edit on 5/27/12 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
heres what i know the cathlic church removed books in the bible many many years ago including any book written by a woman and the book written by judas

jesus life is in patches in the bible may have to look this up that jesus may have studied as a hindu for a point in his life when he went to india witch isint in the bible and i have no proof of but ive heard this somwhere

the term that says be more like crist we are all children of a god and god knew his children wouldnt get along so he created differnt religions so they could worship him in differnt ways and we where seperated on the earth and spoke differnt languages these things where ment to help us create one world like we have but the evil of man has twisted every religion to where it benifits few and tears the world apart
edit on 27-5-2012 by ronnypeppers because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I have been very impressed by the highly controversial work of Australian theologian Barbara Thiering. One of her books is called "The Book That Jesus Wrote" (ISBN 0 552 14665 X). In it she argues that the Book of John was the work of Jesus himself, assisted by his Gentile friend Philip. It has to be borne in mind that she also argues in other books that Jesus did not die on the cross. Instead, Thiering claims that the Gospel of John is a clear and rational explanation of how Christianity came into being and how Jesus himself was an active and inspirational figure behind its emergence both in the Middle East and Western Europe.

So perhaps Jesus did write his own book. I like to think so.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by BBobb

I wouldn't go as far as saying the ENTIRE bible is about Jesus, but there are prophecies about Christ in the old testament. But, once again, the entire old testament is not about Christ, nor is the entire new testament. Perhaps you should reread your bible...
What can we conclude from this? The bible is not the gospel of Christ.. Though it contains infomation about Christ, it is not his personal gospel. all accounts were written before Jesus and many years after his death.

gos·pel/ˈgäspəl/ Noun: The teaching or revelation of Christ. A thing that is absolutely true.

By this definition, the entire bible is not the gospel of Christ.. The entire thing is not Christ's teaching or revelations. And it is most certainly not absolutely true.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
If your reason that Jesus did not exist is becaise he did not write His teachings down while other people wrote down what Jesus was teaching.I mean that is laughable reasoning.I don't get how people do this with the bible all the time.

Jesus is preaching to get people to listen and believe.
edit on 27-5-2012 by Jobeycool because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Jobeycool

The fact that he did not write anything down does not disprove his existence. However, it would certainly help his credibility along if he had written things down.. You would think that the son of god was at least literate enough to write things down, considering how important he was.. The fact that the writers of the gospels were not eye witness accounts is enough to assert the idea that Jesus is fictitious. He himself did not write anything down, nor did his immediate followers. All accounts are written before and after the supposed Jesus Christ. Another important fact to consider is that there were many similar stories to Jesus's prior to his own.. Some stories around a thousand years prior.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join