It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is the gospel of jesus?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
he may have been uneducated. ever heard of ramakrishna? he couldn't even read, yet he was an ocean of intelligence

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
The fact that the Essenes became Gnostics is completely wrong.

Essenes hated the Hellenized world that was transforming before there eyes

Gnostics borrowed heavy on hellenized philosophy

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Something Voltaire said comes to mind here:

"Si Dieu n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer."

"If God did not exist, he would have to be invented."

I think that the story of Christ is the transmutation of many other older stories into a less archaic form. The basic story and philosophy may be genuine but it is plagiarized from earlier sources and then twisted to suit the needs of the State that wrote the Bible.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Furbs

Originally posted by EnochWasRight
reply to post by TKDRL

The most important people to ever walk the earth never wrote their words themselves. Jesus, Aristotle, Confucius, Muhammad (Mirrored Truth) and so on. Read their words, written by disciples, and you are reading true perspective to find truth.

I would counter with the most important people actually DID write down their words themselves.

Einstein
Tesla
Newton
Hawking
Archimedes

But.. I guess it depends on what you hold important. Esoteric mumblings or human progress.

Everyone on your list, with the exception of Newton, Tesla and Archimedes, denied the third part of light (Spirit / Consciousness). Einstein and Hawking denied the Spirit and called light a duality of particle and wave. Light is a trinity of Particle, Wave and Consciousness. We do not have many of the writings of Tesla. They were confiscated. Newton wrote in symbol. All of them were influenced by Hermes (Enoch / Thoth). The library of Alexandria, before it was burned, contained the works of Hermes. We now only possess the Corpus Hermeticum, Jasher and the Book of Enoch. Our early understanding of cosmology, language and the sciences were derived from Hermes and then rediscovered due to his influence. The history of the Hermetic tradition proves this.

Many of the early prophets were also scribes. Nothing mankind has ever discovered is a discovery that can be claimed by the person discovering. All of what we have been taught has come from the inspiration of God within man's NOUS. Knowledge and Wisdom are gifts given to mankind in a sequenced manner.

edit on 27-5-2012 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

Umm, no. This is just false. Aristotle wrote all of his own philosophic works, plus works on other topics. No one did it for him. Socrates did not write anything down, but really there can be no distinction between the ideas of Socrates and Plato, for the most part at least. ...

Right you are. I mean to say Socrates.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SanguineDenial

Something else that genius Voltaire said:

"Newton thinks that someday men will travel at 50 miles an hour, the poor dotard."

Attempting to mock Sir. Issac Newton for believing men would at the end times be able to fly.

Brilliant chap that Voltaire was, brilliant.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

I never claimed that the man was an intellectual sniper. Even a fool can speak the truth some of the time.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
watch the movie "Stigmata" - it's all about the Gospel of Jesus and how it was intentionally removed from the Bible.. because it professed that one should "not look under brick or wood to find him" .. meaning you wouldn't go into a church to find Christ.. you found it within yourself.... this statement is obviously at odds with the Church's existence.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge
watch the movie "Stigmata" - it's all about the Gospel of Jesus and how it was intentionally removed from the Bible.. because it professed that one should "not look under brick or wood to find him" .. meaning you wouldn't go into a church to find Christ.. you found it within yourself.... this statement is obviously at odds with the Church's existence.

This is one of the only good things I took away from a childhood around Southern Baptists. They believed in the priesthood of man. One does not need a priest or a church house to commune with God. Now the rest of that factions dogmata is pretty crazy but that part was good.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The "gospel" is a frequently-used word, but what Gospel did Jesus preach? Of the 27 books of the New Testament, only a small fraction can be accepted as the words of Jesus. The Christians boast about the Gospels according to St. Matthew, according to St. Mark, according to St. Luke and according to St. John, but there is not a single Gospel "according" to (St.) Jesus himself! In his life-time Jesus never wrote a single word, nor did he instruct anyone to do so. What passes off as the "GOSPELS" today are the works of anonymous hands!

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

The book is filled with lessons for our lives.
Only someone with little faith can say the book has inaccuracies.
If god the creator of all seen all unseen wanted chapters left out from the book he simply manipulated man to do so.
If god wanted a paragraph changed, he caused man do it.
Why would you think the book of God is subject to the control of man?
Christian believe God and Christ are the same, when it is said that Jesus wrote the book he did, as GOD
To help to understand the book, go to church.
As I have seen here on ATS church is bad
Find a church that has the same viewpoint as you about the gospel
You don’t have to go to church; you could go to a bible study class and meet people with the same questions as yourself

edit on 27-5-2012 by redneck13 because: n

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Love.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
If it did exist wich it probably does not ( being as jesus was invented) it would be located in deepest of vatican vaults where no one could ever read it and use it to twist docterin or take power from the church.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
www.probe.org... IMNsEoG/b.4223639/k.567/Ancient_Evidence_for_Jesus_from_NonChristian_Sources.htm

Text
Although there is overwhelming evidence that the New Testament is an accurate and trustworthy historical document, many people are still reluctant to believe what it says unless there is also some independent, non-biblical testimony that corroborates its statements. In the introduction to one of his books, F.F. Bruce tells about a Christian correspondent who was told by an agnostic friend that "apart from obscure references in Josephus and the like," there was no historical evidence for the life of Jesus outside the Bible.[1] This, he wrote to Bruce, had caused him "great concern and some little upset in [his] spiritual life."[2] He concludes his letter by asking, "Is such collateral proof available, and if not, are there reasons for the lack of it?"[3] The answer to this question is, "Yes, such collateral proof is available," and we will be looking at some of it in this article.
Ancient Evidence for Jesus from Non-Christian Sources

Reporting on Emperor Nero's decision to blame the Christians for the fire that had destroyed Rome in A.D. 64, the Roman historian Tacitus wrote:
Nero fastened the guilt . . . on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of . . . Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome. . . .[5]
What all can we learn from this ancient (and rather unsympathetic) reference to Jesus and the early Christians? Notice, first, that Tacitus reports Christians derived their name from a historical person called Christus (from the Latin), or Christ. He is said to have "suffered the extreme penalty," obviously alluding to the Roman method of execution known as crucifixion. This is said to have occurred during the reign of Tiberius and by the sentence of Pontius Pilatus. This confirms much of what the Gospels tell us about the death of Jesus.
Evidence from Pliny the Younger
Another important source of evidence about Jesus and early Christianity can be found in the letters of Pliny the Younger to Emperor Trajan. Pliny was the Roman governor of Bithynia in Asia Minor. In one of his letters, dated around A.D. 112, he asks Trajan's advice about the appropriate way to conduct legal proceedings against those accused of being Christians.[8] Pliny says that he needed to consult the emperor about this issue because a great multitude of every age, class, and sex stood accused of Christianity.[9]
At one point in his letter, Pliny relates some of the information he has learned about these Christians:
They were in the habit of meeting on a certain fixed day before it was light, when they sang in alternate verses a hymn to Christ, as to a god, and bound themselves by a solemn oath, not to any wicked deeds, but never to commit any fraud, theft or adultery, never to falsify their word, nor deny a trust when they should be called upon to deliver it up; after which it was their custom to separate, and then reassemble to partake of food--but food of an ordinary and innocent kind.[10]
Evidence from the Babylonian Talmud
There are only a few clear references to Jesus in the Babylonian Talmud, a collection of Jewish rabbinical writings compiled between approximately A.D. 70-500. Given this time frame, it is naturally supposed that earlier references to Jesus are more likely to be historically reliable than later ones. In the case of the Talmud, the earliest period of compilation occurred between A.D. 70-200.[20] The most significant reference to Jesus from this period states:
On the eve of the Passover Yeshu was hanged. For forty days before the execution took place, a herald . . . cried, "He is going forth to be stoned because he has practiced sorcery and enticed Israel to apostasy."[21]
Evidence from Lucian
Lucian of Samosata was a second century Greek satirist. In one of his works, he wrote of the early Christians as follows:
The Christians . . . worship a man to this day--the distinguished personage who introduced their novel rites, and was crucified on that account. . . . [It] was impressed on them by their original lawgiver that they are all brothers, from the moment that they are converted, and deny the gods of Greece, and worship the crucified sage, and live after his laws.[27]
Although Lucian is jesting here at the early Christians, he does make some significant comments about their founder. For instance, he says the Christians worshipped a man, "who introduced their novel rites." And though this man's followers clearly thought quite highly of Him, He so angered many of His contemporaries with His teaching that He "was crucified on that account."

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by redneck13
reply to post by 1littlewolf

The book is filled with lessons for our lives.
Only someone with little faith can say the book has inaccuracies.
If god the creator of all seen all unseen wanted chapters left out from the book he simply manipulated man to do so.
If god wanted a paragraph changed, he caused man do it.
Why would you think the book of God is subject to the control of man?
Christian believe God and Christ are the same, when it is said that Jesus wrote the book he did, as GOD
To help to understand the book, go to church.
As I have seen here on ATS church is bad
Find a church that has the same viewpoint as you about the gospel

You don’t have to go to church; you could go to a bible study class and meet people with the same questions as yourself

I believe in something that equates to God, I have the deepest respect for Jesus, I have read most of the Bible and all of the New Testament and went through my schoool years to a Bible study class.

But I do not call my self Christian because I believe there have been enlightened teachers throughout the ages. I also know a few Christians who themselves admit that the Bible has innacuracies and can only be seen as a general guide to how Jesus may have lived his life.

Why?

Because the Bible, though it be may God's word, was transcribed by imperfect men. Yes they may have been deeply inspired, yes they may have been filled with spirit but the fact remains that they were mere human beings with faults and flaws like any of us. It was also written in a very different time period to that which we now live in today and therefore much of it no longer applies.

I do not believe this takes anything a way from Jesus himself. In fact in my mind it makes him even greater for many of the words which these days may be seen as hateful or bigoted can be ignored for they are not were not necessarily the words Jesus himself was quoted as saying.

Why is this such a hard concept to get through? The Bible is merely a historical document and a guide for living within the Christian faith, written by those who also shared the Christian faith. It is no more holy than a Christian glossary or the latest issue of 'Watch Tower' magazine.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Considering that one of the last things he commanded his followers was to go and spread the word, it seems like he placed great importance on the testimony of his disciples. If he placed the role of messenger on his followers, then it makes sense that he wouldn't write any gospels.
I'm sure there are several reasons that I haven't quite thought of, and it's possible that he did write something, but it's more believable to have people write about you than for you to write about yourself.

It's one thing for me to say that I am a genius, but it's more compelling when other people say I'm a genius.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SanguineDenial
reply to post by NOTurTypical

I never claimed that the man was an intellectual sniper. Even a fool can speak the truth some of the time.

That's true. He was a fool, and I'm sure some of the time he spoke the truth. Whenever he mocked Christianity wasn't one of those times. I love how he predicted the end of it, then after his death his house was bought by a Bible society and they used his printing press to print hundreds of thousands of Bibles.

Epic.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by iIuminaIi
The "gospel" is a frequently-used word, but what Gospel did Jesus preach? Of the 27 books of the New Testament, only a small fraction can be accepted as the words of Jesus. The Christians boast about the Gospels according to St. Matthew, according to St. Mark, according to St. Luke and according to St. John, but there is not a single Gospel "according" to (St.) Jesus himself! In his life-time Jesus never wrote a single word, nor did he instruct anyone to do so. What passes off as the "GOSPELS" today are the works of anonymous hands!

Gospel means "good news". The gospel of Jesus Christ is that He died for our sins. Pretty simple. The four gospels you mention are actually referred to as "The gospel according to" Matthew, mark, Luke or John. If you want to know where the epistles are from Christ there are 7 of them in the 2nd-3rd chapters of Revelation.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ronnypeppers
heres what i know the cathlic church removed books in the bible many many years ago including any book written by a woman and the book written by judas

jesus life is in patches in the bible may have to look this up that jesus may have studied as a hindu for a point in his life when he went to india witch isint in the bible and i have no proof of but ive heard this somwhere

the term that says be more like crist we are all children of a god and god knew his children wouldnt get along so he created differnt religions so they could worship him in differnt ways and we where seperated on the earth and spoke differnt languages these things where ment to help us create one world like we have but the evil of man has twisted every religion to where it benifits few and tears the world apart
edit on 27-5-2012 by ronnypeppers because: (no reason given)

This keeps getting said and it is just WRONG! It was appolonius of Tyana that was said to have recieved the "christ principle" right after Yeshuas' death. The Indian sages admit this and it is in Appolonius journies recorde in the map of his trek. This is the trouble with all the skeptics that think a google is due diligence and wiki is profound knowledge thinking they have an understanding that escaped all those that came before them and ACTUALLY HAD TO DO THE WORK in due diligence.

Someone watches something from a crackpot poser like Archya S. and accepts it as a gospel aand that is the end of the search, right?

So NO! He NEVER traveled to India, it was Appolonius of Tyana and the play on words to dupe the uninitiated for their personal ideologies.to take what is rightfully Mashiach's. Even the Indian sages that admit this. But any western backyard sage might know better, eh?

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
www.changinglivesonline.org...

Text
PART 1: GOOD REASONS TO READ THE BIBLE

1. The world's best selling book

The Guiness Book of Records acknowledges the Bible as the world's best selling book.

"It has been estimated that between 1815 and 1975 some 2.5 billion copies of the Bible were printed ... Since 1976 combined global sales of Today's English Version ... have exceeded 118 million copies." (Guinness Book of Records)

These sales are for only one of the many versions of the Bible available.

If you are a person who thinks the Bible is an outdated book just sitting unread on bookshelves, think again!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join