It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was a Mason and here's what I learned...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

I anticipated negative responses.

I accept that you don't believe me and I'll leave it at that.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by disgustingfatbody

Sorry, I didn't mean it as negative, just joking. But in truth, your source is very wrong. Men have to be of lawful age to be masons, and they have to come to masonry of their own free will, in order to become one. You can read other threads and here people say things like " my grandfather was a mason, or my dad was a mason", how could this be that the child did not become one? he didn't want to. Just that simple. I did not mean to offend.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Masonry is just a name. Like religion, it proceeds from one common source and has many distinct sects operating under various names each with varying rituals.

I, too, mean no offense. This is how it has been explained to me.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I apologize. I seem to have killed the thread. That was not my intention.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Visiting ESB

I own my own business but still don't care that much about networking -- I'll get clients one way or the other and with or without the help of another. I've never cared much for the superficial, shallow nature of networking anyway.

I think I know why you didn't enjoy Freemasonry - you joined for the wrong reasons. Not that it's your fault - your proposer should have made it very clear before you joined that it's not about networking or business connections.

There are some who left my lodge feeling the exact same way you do. Your views are certainly not uncommon amongst ex-Feemasons.

Still, Freemasonry is for those who prize honour and virtue above the external advantages of rank and fortune. This certainly does not include everyone.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Mason's are nothing more than an old mans glee club usually having a hard time organizing a bake sale, let alone taking over the world. i think it's great that they can have that and that it hasn't been outlawed in our ever growing police state called America.

a close friend of mine is a Mason but i was never interested in joining, although i must say the thought of exercising the freedom to become involved was intriguing.

more power to these individuals and all i can say is i hope we always have a choice to do these things in this great land i live in.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by disgustingfatbody

It's actually a bit different. At it's core, it's is 3 degrees. Which are almost identical all around the world and have been for hundreds of years. It's purpose is to teach the willing individual symbols and lessons to help him strengthen his spiritual self and help him become a better man. It sounds hoaky and to those who aren't' looking for that, I am sure it is. But there is nothing in the world like hearing the stories of children who have been helped by the charities we work with.

The side orders are plentiful and not required. The key is the first three.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I long for the day when a Man will greet any stranger with the trust and love of the bond that we all share as humans. A day where there is no "in" or "out" club of any kind. A free and open world where goodness reigns and secrecy is but a distant memory.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saurus

Originally posted by Visiting ESB

I own my own business but still don't care that much about networking -- I'll get clients one way or the other and with or without the help of another. I've never cared much for the superficial, shallow nature of networking anyway.

I think I know why you didn't enjoy Freemasonry - you joined for the wrong reasons. Not that it's your fault - your proposer should have made it very clear before you joined that it's not about networking or business connections.

There are some who left my lodge feeling the exact same way you do. Your views are certainly not uncommon amongst ex-Feemasons.

Still, Freemasonry is for those who prize honour and virtue above the external advantages of rank and fortune. This certainly does not include everyone.

Thanks for your input. However, I didn't join for that reason (networking). My feelings about networking were already there. I just don't get into group things much, meetings, planning fundraisers, etc. Networking was actually only mentioned once and it was not what drew me. What did bring me in was the character and decency of the people who were members. Only after I was a member did my realization that group endeavors were just not me. Masonry is unjustly accused of some of the most heinous things imaginable. I simply wanted to give my perspective as one who has a small taste of experience with the people of Masonry and why I feel there's no justification for the wild stories about them.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by protocolsoflove

I'm not sure, but I'll have to look that up. I do like a good beer once in a while and I have beer stein from a "beer tour".

reply to post by staple

Thanks for that. Makes some sense.

Secrecy isn't evil or wrong. Everyone enjoys some kind of secrecy.

I read an interesting article on trust and secrecy. Very provocative read.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Visiting ESB

Fair enough...

If I may ask, why did you join? I am always curious to find out what it is about Masonry that does it for some people, but not for others.

What did you expect from it that you didn't get?

What disappointed you about Masonry?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSigMason

I'm not sure, but I'll have to look that up. I do like a good beer once in a while and I have beer stein from a "beer tour".

reply to post by staple

Thanks for that. Makes some sense.

Secrecy isn't evil or wrong. Everyone enjoys some kind of secrecy.

I read an interesting article on trust and secrecy. Very provocative read.

I would be happy to see the article if you care to share it.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I have a family member who is part of the masons, they raise a lot of money for local causes.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
no offence, but asking such a low level member about the secrets of the freemasons is like asking pvt. joe johnson first class about the inner workings of lockheed skunk works or what obama does in the whitehouse situation room.
edit on 26-5-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
congratulations on your resent foray into the world of the occult.

You barely scratched the surface. May I recommend that you continue to seek out hidden knowledge without joining any collective?

I think its more rewarding that way.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

We call them "Ring Masons" .. they join, buy a ring, maybe a decal for their car...... and vanish. They joined because they wanted business connections.. or in some cases to sell us something lol .. or joined and had no idea what they were joining. When I first joined I worked at a landscaping company and had no idea my boss and his sons (god.. sadly also my bosses) were not only Masons, but in my same lodge. They all stopped going when they couldn't get any good contracts.

Personally I've met people through Masonry that I never would have outside of Masonry.. I personally do not think that I met these people because I'm a Mason but because I became literally best friends with my lodge Brothers. If someone joins my lodge after being raised I don't run to them asking what discount service I can offer them or what I can buy from them. But I do have friends that, if I need something done, I go to them over anyone else. Because I know them as people, not just Masons, and they won't screw me over, and I know for a fact they provide quality service.

So my point being we Masons do not show preference for Masons usually, we show preference for our Friends. And if my friend tells me Ed down the street is the best guy to go to for break repair .. by god, when I can't stop my car I'll go see Ed.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

You don't paint a very flattering portrait of your local lodge. It's nice to know though that there are people you can rely on.

Society today seems to lack that "brotherly" connection. We are constantly at odds with each other.

How do the Masons feel about war?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by disgustingfatbody
How do the Masons feel about war?
War? Uh. Good God. What is it good for? Absolutely nothing!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

The question was a serious one. I wondered if the Masons discuss war behind closed doors.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Visiting ESB

I'm against pseudo religions that hide in the dark shadows of buildings with bricked up windows, conspiring in secrecy away from curious eyes.

Guess what Freemasons...God can see you hiding in your dark holes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join