It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OMG: 2012 KP24 Incoming! Are we Doomed?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I have no idea how this one hasn't been posted on ATS... I did a search, and nothing.

Name: 2012 KP24
Date: May 28
Miss Distance: 0.1 LD
Size: 26 m

Umm... isn't 0.1 LD pretty darn close?

How have no conspirators, or doomsday guardians not posted this yet?

I came across it, while checking out www.spaceweather.com...

Located near the bottom of the site, under Near Earth Asteroids

Are we Doomed?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
it is only 26 meters

if it hits a resdiential area there might be a problem

that is if it does not burn up on it's way into our atmosphere

so no

we are not doomed

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
wow good find um idk still wow

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by magma
it is only 26 meters

so no

we are not doomed

I dunno, that 26 meter asteroid could probably take out a ________ ?????

You sure its not miles? haha

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

I think there is a thread on this already buddy

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Obviously its size, should remove any idea of concern that it might 'be the one'.

The only reason I posted it, is because I have never seen anything ever posted at 0.1 LD.

Just thought I'd throw it out there, and see if anybody else knows anything. Plus, it's been a while since we've had some good asteroid talk on ATS lol.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com... is this what you are looking for

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

Originally posted by magma
it is only 26 meters

so no

we are not doomed

I dunno, that 26 meter asteroid could probably take out a ________ ?????

You sure its not miles? haha

No it's not miles, look at the other objects on there and you'll see they use the metric system, they use km for kilometers for example. They wouldn't use kilometers for some objects and miles for other ones.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   

26m wide will be not very large. It'll be smaller than the Hiroshima bomb, methinks. It'll only be bad if it hits on a city, if it hits at all.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Time to test the top secret railgun on the incoming asteroid...

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Potentially Hazardous Asteroids (PHAs) are space rocks larger than approximately 100m that can come closer to Earth than 0.05 AU. None of the known PHAs is on a collision course with our planet, although astronomers are finding new ones all the time.

none of the known are gonna hit and this is known.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   

You can't fire at an asteroid and blow it up, NASA has already ruled that out as a possible solution if one's ever on a flight path for Earth. If you blow up an asteroid with a weapon, it will just break apart into smaller rocks and form a shower of death. NASA is not going with this idea, they actually have NO action plan as of yet. They have ideas in their heads, but no technology to show for it.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by denver22

Potentially Hazardous Asteroids (PHAs) are space rocks larger than approximately 100m that can come closer to Earth than 0.05 AU. None of the known PHAs is on a collision course with our planet, although astronomers are finding new ones all the time.

Yea, knowing that 1 LD is 384,401 km (distance from Earth to Moon), even one tenth of that is still very far away from Earth...I believe the closest NEO we need to worry about is the one of Friday 13th 2029

Upon its discovery in 2004, Apophis was briefly estimated to have a 2.7% chance of impacting the Earth in 2029. Additional measurements later showed there was no impact risk at that time from the 210-330 meter (690-1080 foot) diameter object, identified spectroscopically as an Sq type similar to LL chondritic meteorites. However, there will be a historically close approach to the Earth, estimated to be a 1 in 800 year event (on average, for an object of that size).

But if it hits a key hole while passing Earth it could come back around in 2036...
edit on 25-5-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com... is this what you are looking for

Close... but not the same...

Asteroid 2012 KA was discovered just today (May 16), and is projected to make its closest approach about 0.0015 AU, or 224,397 kilometers (134,933 miles, .6 lunar distances)

This one is different and on a different date. Close but no cigar...

as well... it was .6 LD's away in its miss distance... this is .1.

Lunar distance being, the distance from Earth to the Moon... which is an average of 384,400 kilometers(238,855 miles)
If I'm not mistaken, JPL and other agencies, actually use a different distance other than 384,000... they use a specific distance that is present during a specific orientation. I could be wrong though.

That puts this one passing at 23, 855 miles away from earth?

Is that enough to alter its path? I wonder how close it comes to the sun if this is the case... I'm sure the sun will just blast this thing into dust, and it will be the last we ever see of it.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Yea, knowing that 1 LD is 384,401 km (distance from Earth to Moon), even one tenth of that is still very far away from Earth...I believe the closest NEO we need to worry about is the one of Friday 13th 2029

Upon its discovery in 2004, Apophis was briefly estimated to have a 2.7% chance of impacting the Earth in 2029. Additional measurements later showed there was no impact risk at that time from the 210-330 meter (690-1080 foot) diameter object, identified spectroscopically as an Sq type similar to LL chondritic meteorites. However, there will be a historically close approach to the Earth, estimated to be a 1 in 800 year event (on average, for an object of that size).

But if it hits a key hole while passing Earth it could come back around in 2036...
edit on 25-5-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

I KNEW APOPHIS would be brought up on this thread lol.

This might seem highly conspiratorial but.... Check out where Apophis is on the date of DECEMBER 21'ST, 2012.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

You know I had to bring up the ultimate DOOMSDAY asteroid...hahaha

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myomistress

You can't fire at an asteroid and blow it up, NASA has already ruled that out as a possible solution if one's ever on a flight path for Earth. If you blow up an asteroid with a weapon, it will just break apart into smaller rocks and form a shower of death. NASA is not going with this idea, they actually have NO action plan as of yet. They have ideas in their heads, but no technology to show for it.

Wouldn't blowing up a big asteroid make the smaller rocks more likely to burn up in the atmosphere? Because that's what happens with small asteroids...
edit on 5/25/2012 by bl4ke360 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
The biggest problem with this one is if it does make it through the atmosphere and if it explodes before it hits the ground

Anyone remember the story of the asteroid from 1908

An asteroid estimated at 50 meters across explodes above Tunguska, Siberia, blowing down trees across 2,000 square kilometers and killing a thousand reindeer, but apparently no people. Because the stony object exploded in the atmosphere, there's no crater.

Yes its not as big but it sounds like it could easily take out a large city

link   

link   

Originally posted by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS
Obviously its size, should remove any idea of concern that it might 'be the one'.

The only reason I posted it, is because I have never seen anything ever posted at 0.1 LD.

Just thought I'd throw it out there, and see if anybody else knows anything. Plus, it's been a while since we've had some good asteroid talk on ATS lol.

Here a site to find out that it can do

www.purdue.edu...

Have fun I did

Also note only 12 observation to date
Has a condition code of 9 very bad may inprove with more observation
So .1 of 384,000 Kilometer is about 38,400 Km from earth so to me it close about 3 time earth diamerter

edit on 25-5-2012 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join