It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM news citing Fukushima Reactor 4 is a BIG problem

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by UFO1414

Direct link to comment

Pretty much sums up the situation indeed.

IF something happens to the reactor, i think we're simply screwed

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenRuled
Obama will save us! I'll bet he's drawing up an executive order to lock us up for our own protection as we speak.

Yeah, I would feel so much safer if a republican was in charge of handling an environmental catastrophe, oh wait, we should get rid of the EPA, wait, wait, its just a junk science hoax......

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by UFO1414

I live in the UK but still know that this topic will never reach the US media channels. I base this on the simple fact that most of the US citizens solely want to hear what happens next in the democrats and republicans childish cat fights. Politics is all and end all in the US especially around about this time........ I do not mean the US ATS member's welll not all of them anyway
Fingers crossed this hits UK news, BUT here there trying to distract with the Olympics and the Queens jubilee
S&f op i nearly forgot
edit on 24/5/2012 by indisputable because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by xEphon

And even then, if there was no water and if the debris in the pool caught fire, they are still encased in zirconium cladding, which holds the fission products within.

From your source. That statement shows that he really has limited understanding of the processes involved or the threat posed by the (S)pent (F)uel (P)ool or SFP at #4. The threat posed is the same one that occurred at other Spent Fuel Pools. A little different too..

#4 reactor building has been rocked by repeated earthquakes, at least one explosion and the fuel in the SFP of #4 reactor building has already partially melted. All this damage combined has made the integrity of the pool itself questionable. It is leaking. It is being topped off by seawater. The problem is they are having a hard time determining how more earthquakes will affect the pool any further.

The idea is to reinstall a working crane so they can remove the fuel bundles from the pool and temporarily store them in the reactor well (which was shut down at the time of the Quake in Mar. '11). They are in a race against time hampered by on site radiation, further jolts (which send everyone running), and logistics of demo-ing out the old infrastructure to facilitate the installation of another crane.

The threat to the environment is actually bigger than the other plants at Fukushima and heres why. # 4 reactor was shut down for refueling at the time of the quake. All the fuel that has ever been used in the reactor over its entire life span is still being stored in the pool. Plus the very "hot" fuel they just removed from the well. Plus the new fuel they were going to install after cleaning and maintenance. That is more fuel by far than was in #3 SFP when it went off. Plus some portion of it is MOX which contains Plutonium (the newer fuel rods).

The concern is that if the fuel sustains any more damage from further quakes that it could begin leaking more than it does already. Combine that with the damage from the explosion therein and the decay produced by the already melted fuel at the bottom of the pool. This could create a situation whereby the top of the water level lowers to the point that the top of the fuel rod assemblies in the pool become uncovered.

That is all it will take. As the tips of the fuel rods become exposed they begin to heat up. This begins to boil away more of the remaining water in the form of steam that further lowers the water level that then exposes more of the fuel rods. The "hot" fuel that has recently been removed from the reactor is the most likely to heat up and begin to compromise the Zircalloy cladding which crumbles away and falls to the bottom of the pool. Followed by the fuel it self which also falls to the bottom of the pool and begins to reheat to criticality temperatures.

The more the water boils off the more fuel is exposed, heats up, catches fire and falls to the bottom, causing a "Corium" mass that begins to melt out the bottom of the pool all the while sustaining an uncontrolled fission chain reaction production of isotopes and radionuclides. The only thing that will stop it will be when the reaction is done or the singularity runs out of fuel. By then up to 50 tons of fuel will have volatilized in an open air environment, the worst of all possible scenarios for nuclear power.

Since the fuel pool is open to the air instead of inside the reactor well and sealed in a building, there will be no explosion like in #3. Just an open air Tepco corium smelting process that will produce a nuclear fog bank spreading to the atmosphere and ocean while simultaneously burning its way into the ground below the building and maybe the ground water table too. This Mass of metal (elephants foot) although no longer burning in a reaction will remain radioactively hot for... God only knows. Still producing steam whenever it encounters water or rain or salt water spray from a fire engine. Additional exotic and rare elements are produced by using seawater as well.

This is what happened to the other three reactors already by the way, don't you know that? They are still emitting as well. Since March of last year, in fact. Each is unique in the events that befell them and as well the measures used in an attempt to control the amount of radioactive contamination released so far.

SFP #4 is a race against time to get the fuel into the reactor to contain and cool it more reliably before another melt down fission event occurs there. It is potentially very serious if... But hey, we won't see it if it happens anyway because TEPCO has total control over the situational awareness they let on to. Any information that comes from there about any of the reactors there has to "leak" to us (like the radiation).

You know where I learned all this? Right here on ATS. The ongoing Fuku thread.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Warms the cockles's of my heart,,when i read that.
if i only new what a cockle was,,, lol

wow really had to be carefull on spelling on that one,,,lol,,

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I did notice that some MSN had previously only acknowledged 3 reactors, now they will have to address #4.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Why isn’t Saudi, China, Australia, Russia all pumping in money and materials. surely those countries could design and build a structure.

edit on 23-5-2012 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

The countries you stated (especially Australia) have been providing money and resources to Japan for quite some time now. We were one of the first countries to step up to help, so don't assume please.

I remember the US bitching that they weren't receiving any aid from other countries during the floods, yet Japan (while in the nuclear disaster) provided the USA with everything you can think off.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
There is a very simple reason why news outlets wont report on this.....

The economy......... it would probably do more damage to our economy than the actual disaster would do to our land, atleast if we keep the economy strong/decent, we can afford the clean up, if we cant even afford that then we are up the creek without a paddle

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Havent seen anything from it in the uk since it all started.

Or maybe Its because i Dont have anything to do with mainstream media.

or the square box in the corner of the room.

The pixels on my screen make more sense than the ones on the tv all right....

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I'll believe it when my hair falls out

2nd

3rd

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
This is not good for all of us. ie the human race.

I would love to know what the people of Japan are being told by their govt.

/sacasmon Why can't we get some celebs to take this in the mainstream media arena. /sarcasmoff

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Nothings going on & nothings gonna happen in japan... And come Dec 21 I'll be at the pub having my usual pint of bud light & a shot of jack on the rocks, noooo, problemo at all.
Jk

edit on 24-5-2012 by Bane5930 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I feel so bad about all of what is going on and not being reported.
I could list everything that is going on World Wide but me thinks I would fill the pages of ATS.
Nukclear was always a nightmare waiting to happen ever since the first A Bomb was dropped. Since then over 2500 have been tested.

Why? Why would any sane country or people actually think that Nukclear Power or Weapons would be desirable?
Death came from the Bombs radiation and now it comes from Power plants built with no foresight in where and how they should be built.

Actually they should of never been built and the Bomb either.

Now we in the US have found out that we can get rid of our spent uranium by putting into our ammo and using this same ammo against other countries regardless of the results.

There has and will always be Radioactive fallout over our heads and getting into our food and water.
I wonder when, all people will actually stand up to fight these powers that reign over us?

It's like this comic strip that keeps coming to mind..

What if they gave a War and nobody came?

So;
What if they wanted to build these bombs and nobody wanted the job?
What if they wanted to build these power station and no body wanted the job?
What if everyone decided not to go to work and enrich the Rich any further.
What if the people of Japan all showed up at their Parlimant and closed the country down until their Overlords fixed the problem.

It has now become a World problem and the World is off on a drunk of killing each other over Oil.

This has become a Sick World and if we had another to go to we would do the same to it, never learning any lesson's from the destruction of this one.

Nuke's kill and actually, what are they good for?

I thought they said if we had Nuke's there wouldn't be any wars or need for coal for power.
What's was with that?

We are spiraling downward on Mushroom Clouds and what seems as if the world took mushrooms and it is now on a Bad Trip.
Soon, very soon we may be glowing in the dark then maybe we will do something, but then it truly will be to late.

Poor Poor citizen's of the World, the End is on the Horizon. It is the EVENT HORIZON.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Romekje

Thank you for taking the time to read the responses and bring that one here. Devon exposed his lies like a true ATS'er. Good work!

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by UFO1414

The troubled Reactor 4 at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant is at the centre of this potential catastrophe. The 1,535 spent fuel rods would become exposed to the air and would likely catch fire, with the most-recently added fuel rods igniting first.

it ain't "potential catastrophe" -- it's Just upcoming $hit. each quiet day out there has been the yet another gift 4 humankind, but that cannot be so everlasting.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Is there any kind of map or similar information showing the area of effects in the event of another earthquake/rods catching fire? It would be nice to be able to estimate when and where the radiation will be spread. That way, adequate preparations could be made for survival. Please let me know!

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

This was posted on ats today in another thread but looks like no one noticed. from here

So it's a 90% chance of Earth being killed off in the next three years unless Building 7 or ... I mean Reactor 4 is addressed.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
It takes over 2000 years to build a country, but few minutes to demolish it without prevention. Triple faults for not listenning my alerts and now covering up the news.

@thorforecaster Twitter/thorforecaster

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenRuled
Obama will save us! I'll bet he's drawing up an executive order to lock us up for our own protection as we speak.

even threads about fukishima will bring out the ignorant political trolls.

get a life!

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

You take all your brightest uni students and scientists and lock them in massive halls together.. schools out, the country stops everyone is committed.

These are the educated people who made this happen in the first place.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join