It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM news citing Fukushima Reactor 4 is a BIG problem

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by UFO1414

I still can't understand why a massive dome can't be built and lowered over this thing by whatever means available (planes, trains, or automobiles - or Superman could easily lift the dome with one hand) before the collapse of the structure. Then the bottom can be sealed with whatever seal holds back radiation, and a "No Trespassing" sign applied to the area. The world's governments are just going to allow this thing to sit in the open? Where is the U.N. when something really is needed? Oh well, I'll just go see what's happening to Martin-Zimmerman, and maybe one of those Kardasians is doing something notable today. Important stuff like that.
edit on 24-5-2012 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenRuled
Obama will save us! I'll bet he's drawing up an executive order to lock us up for our own protection as we speak.

Way to bring your hatred towards a politician into a completely unrelated topic.

If reactors melt down and life suffers and dies then all we can do is say, oh well. It's our fault for not taking care of this planet.

It really sucks though because my sister lives in Japan. She's not close to any of this mess, but she's a lot closer than any of us.
edit on 24-5-2012 by Dystopiaphiliac because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Tin hat brigade are at it again, well it has been just under a week since the last major thread about how Fukishima is going to kill us all.
Funny how you are quick to post MSM stories when they support your paranoid fantasies but ignore the MSM news that doesn't
Example: Today BBC : www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Another week, another Fukushima fear mongering thread.

A very informative post on Reddit about the spent fuel rods situation

edit on 24/5/12 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by musashi9

Was just about to post that link! Thanks

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

Gosh what a horrifying feeling you and other aware parents have. I can relate a little, I'm 25 and live in San Diego and everyday I think about how my fiancé and I want to have children together more than anything in the world but the uncertainty freightens me (in addition my depression from being infertile). Living on the coast freaks me out, we're moving to Boise as soon as we cut all ties here.

I do not have a Facebook anymore but I've been posting articles from naturalnews.com on pinterest for months now, not 1 person has liked or re-posted any of my posts, i can't seem to wrap my brain around that.

You guys that post on FB ROCK!!! The only way to defeat the government is if the citizens unite!

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by musashi9

Im gonna have to disagree with that article. If the MSM has pretty much ignored it for this long
and Obama has NOT addressed this issue once, I believe its for a reason. If they are going to ignore this issue, OF COURSE they will put an article out contradicting the truth. Otherwise there would be madness among the people, and they probably want us people who already know to believe their article.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Sigh...do some of you want the world to end? cos it sure seems like it, once again another doom and gloom thread with no real substance nor any real facts.

ansnuclearcafe.org...

I suggest people do a bit of research before claiming we are all doomed.
Yes it isn't the best situation over in Fukushima but it isn't as bad as some of you try to make out.
I give it another week before someone else makes a thread saying reactor 4 will kill us all.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
That seems like a pretty bad situation. So let me get this straight, the fuel rods are sitting in highly contaminated water, and if they're exposed to air, the water and the rods will become so hot that not even water will be able to put out the fire? all the while SPEWING radiation into the air?

unbelievable... we're doomed

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

Actually Obumer is going to send in what is left of seal team six to get the spent fuel rods and then dump them at sea.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
A worker at the plant was concerned that there could be ground settling if they start removing water at ten different locations to service the reactors.

I work with water. If you start removing millions of gallons from the ground it could create a huge problem. Why would ground settling be on the mind of a worker? Has he seen something that concerns him.

The bowling that they are talking about is creating huge bowls that will allow ground water to collect. It is my understanding that they need 6 million gallons a day to service the reactors. If you remove that much water you could create cavities and voids like to filled.

I think they are about to create a worse situation.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Sigh...do some of you want the world to end? cos it sure seems like it, once again another doom and gloom thread with no real substance nor any real facts.

ansnuclearcafe.org...

I suggest people do a bit of research before claiming we are all doomed.
Yes it isn't the best situation over in Fukushima but it isn't as bad as some of you try to make out.
I give it another week before someone else makes a thread saying reactor 4 will kill us all.

Your link (same as the poster above) has all reassurances from TEPCO themselves. To paraphrase, "reactor 4 poses no threat because TEPCO says so." We all know they don't lie.
I am not fearmongering starting this thread. I thought it was interesting that the MSM is addressing reactor 4, and not in a comfy way.

Go to your link and read the comment from Devon | May 16, 2012 at 18:12 |
I think it's the second comment. Totally discredits your article.

edit on 24-5-2012 by UFO1414 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

I wondered that. Apparently they can't do the same as Chernobyl by putting it in a giant sarcophagus because it would explode.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
There's always a new creditable source, which then turns into nothing. Or maybe I'm just not looking into it enough.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Yah, God forbid that we should hear anymore about it. I vote for total news blackout so nobo... oh never mind.

Well then I think people should at least downplay any alternate channel queries about whats really going by saying
"another fear mongering thread" about FUKU. Oh, scratch that too.

Also I think pro industry sources should make long winded science sounding blogs about how "all is well, not dangerous, don't listen to... okaaay.

Welp there you have it. Thoroughly debunked. Be Happy Happy everyone.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmertSpionam1
reply to post by GoldenRuled

Actually Obumer is going to send in what is left of seal team six to get the spent fuel rods and then dump them at sea.

post withdrawn due to self-censorship
edit on 24-5-2012 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I really think some people wish for this to happen.

Here is the most level headed analysis of this situation that I've read and it explains why this situation is no where near what many on this site would have you believe.

I have a degree in nuclear engineering, although it isn't my current area of study (i.e. my tag).

I imagine you are talking about the current hysteria over the reactor 4 spent fuel pool? A sitting US Senator visited the site, saw the extent of the damage, and wrote a letter to various Japanese and US officials urging them to look for a quicker solution to the problem of re-locating the spent fuel. For reference, the current plan is to transition the fuel to dry-cask storage on a ~10 year timeline.

So what is dangerous about the spent fuel pool? As we all probably know, when fuel is burned in a nuclear reactor the leftover material is highly radioactive. In fact, it is so radioactive that it requires cooling for ~4-6 years after being removed from the reactor. However, so-called "passive cooling" is sufficient - the fuel bundles are placed in a large pool of water, and natural convection keeps them cool. After some time has passed, and the radioactivity has subsided somewhat, the fuel bundles can be transferred to "dry-cask" storage - basically encased in a large concrete container.

So that is where we are. The fuel rods are sitting in their pool. The problem is that the earthquake destroyed all the cranes that are used to transfer fuel out of the SFP. So, in the near-term, there isn't much we can do to the fuel bundles.

Now here is where the controversy starts, and it requires several leaps of logic. You may have read many recent articles that claim that the SFP#4 is a threat to humanity - here is one such article. This story was picked up by the alternative media and promoted in anti-nuclear circles. And it is a real eye-catching headline - I can't blame people for being worried after reading an article like that. I've even seen some articles that claim that the radioactivity in the rods could cause the deaths of billions of people, although I haven't seen any credible calculations to back that up.

The articles all seem to reference the same scenario - an earthquake (somehow) drains the SFP, and from there every last bit of radioactivity in the rods is released into the air, travels across the ocean, and causes mass extinction in the US.

This scenario is so implausible that it still boggles my mind that it gets any coverage at all. If an earthquake happened and if the fuel pool drained, all that is needed is to pump water from the ocean, 30 meters away. SFP are at atmospheric pressure, so there aren't pumping problems like what led to the original accident. And even then, if there was no water and if the debris in the pool caught fire, they are still encased in zirconium cladding, which holds the fission products within. The release of radioactivity from the original accident and chernobyl were because the cladding melted inside the heat of the reactor. In chernobyl especially, the large cesium release was due to burning graphite, which can undergo self-sustained combustion at very high temperatures. The SFP#4 rods are radioactive, but there isn't any mechanism that can cause that kind of release. If you are skeptical, you can watch this video of a zirc rod being hit with a blowtorch, and not burning.

I'm not saying the SFP is something we can just forget about - there are rods there that need to be dealt with in the long term. But the hyperbole about this pool causing the extinction of the human race is ridiculous. The mainstream media doesn't cover it because it is a non-story - "fuel pool somewhat dangerous but not that bad" isn't a winning headline. But the story circulates with even wilder and wilder predictions in the alternative media, and then people start thinking it's some kind of conspiracy or cover-up - "why isn't anyone talking about this horrible threat?!" I think the echo chamber is building up so loud that we will see organizations like the IAEA or the NRC try to address it publicly.

Source
edit on 24-5-2012 by xEphon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Why hasn't the government spent and concentrated more on solar power rather than nuclear power? We know it's dangerous, we know it has adverse effects on the environment but we still use it. And we haven't figured out a way to dispose of it in case of a catastrophe. Wow.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by xEphon

I have a degree in nuclear engineering, u do?
although it isn't my current area of study ,,i see from your understanding of chemistry does not enter into your,,
Ocean ,,salty water taffy brained, idiotic,,solution ,,or did u know there was salt in all that plentifull Oxegyn Rich, water??

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

someone better invest a few billion into the project, send in the worlds greatest scientists and get going, eh?

I appreciate the intent of your solution. I guess this is where Hollywood movie stops and reality sets in. Japan has not hitherto been open with the world about the problems at the reactor. The UN seems more interested in telling people to give land back to indigenous peoples than it is in solving the massive problem of a nuclear reactor. But then the UN is full of bureaucrats whose goal it is to depopulate the planet so why would they even think of interfering with a reactor doing that for them?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join