It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What I've learned at ATS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I know I already posted an introduction thread, but I really want to do a "two week update"

I kind of wanted to do it in another forum so I could get stars and flags and all that stuff, but I just feel like it fits better in this one and don't want to put it in the wrong place
Oh well, feel free to give me imaginary stars and flags to make me feel good!

Things I’ve learned so far….

Well, it’s been almost two weeks now and I’m starting to get the hang of things. Granted, I’ve got a long way to go. However, for those of you who are just starting out, here are some things to be ready for.

1. It doesn’t take very long to get your 20 posts in. Relax, relish it, don’t jump in feet first and think you “got this”, that’s when the problems happen LOL
2. If someone is being nasty, WALK AWAY. Whatever they were being nasty about will be buried in half an hour anyway and nobody will remember it. You don’t have to “save face”, it only makes it worse and then it goes on and on and on. Dozens of others will jump in just like in school when somebody shouted “fight, fight, fight!!”. Don’t do it. Walk Away (still working on this one)
3. The Moderators are your friends. Treat them well and be respectful. They can be very valuable resources and really are just trying to help.
4. Definitely use the links for the freshman forum, there is a lot of valuable information there!
5. Find someone who shares your views and make a new friend. They’ve been here longer, they know the ropes and they’ll help you. There are some great folks here and they are very patient as well.
6. The alert button is below the poster’s name by the post in that list that pops up for all the other functions. If someone is screaming, threatening violence, breaking the Terms and Conditions, use it. Don’t use it just because you don’t agree with them, that’s not what it’s for. It’s for the major stuff and you’ll learn the difference in major and not major as you go. Don’t jump to conclusions too quickly. If there is a death threat or threat of suicide, definitely use it, otherwise, check with someone in private messages and see what they think.
7. Don’t take things too seriously, it just causes stress.
8. Playing dumb isn’t always a bad thing. If it’s not your area of expertise, playing dumb keeps you from getting into an argument and it’s the method I plan to use more often now!
9. Although you most likely have the intelligence and expertise to write in a more formal manner and to be exact and precise in your thoughts, displaying a more scientific approach… it’s not needed on every thread, only the ones where that type of “tone” is already set. If it’s informal, go with informal. If people don’t like it… oh well. No need to argue about it, it just gets ugly
10. Deny Ignorance

I still have more to learn and that will come with time, but I wanted to get something in for the folks that are brand-spanking new that would have been helpful for me (if I had taken the time to read it of course)

Thanks!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

1 20 posts, fair nuff.
2 Walk away? Pfff....come back here!
3 Really trying to help who?
(I hope they see the humour of that!)
4 I'm not from the US and the word Freshman meant less than nothing to me.

5 Friends? I thought it was all just a simulation.
6 Ah yes, I alerted your post many times. I kept typing stuff and hitting alert but no matter how many times I did it, no flag appeared on your thread.... I hope the mods can fix that.
7 Life is just a dream! Or should that be nightmare?
8 Playing dumb after saying you were going to play dumb? Hmm....? Good plan!
9 Indeedy!

10 Amen Brista! (That's like brother and sister combined as I have no idea what your gender is.)

Yer doin' jes fine, a tad on the sensitive side maybe but I'm sure we can all collectively beat that out of you without too much trouble, pain or effort. (On our side)

edit on 21/5/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Thanks Dewd!

edit on 21-5-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Very nicely put, Purple. You obviously learn quickly, young grasshopper.

As far as you being "too sensitive", most of us are. Because we care. So walking away when there's some ugliness is wise advice, indeed.

I look forward to more of your posts.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Thanks! Awesome avatar, I love it!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

My answer was nothing but humour, if somewhat terse or perhaps...verbose. I am also the sensitive type. Strong, stunningly good-looking, modest but sensitive. *cough cough*

I like to just react ad-hoc (sometimes in a humorous manner) just to bump a thread while the real posters on ATS get round to things.

My dribblings amount to little but it's usually either well-meant or sarcastically funny, or at least a sad attempt vaguely in that direction. I used to post in the political forum, learned to keep out of that.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Then I took it just how it was meant! I thought it was witty and enjoyable

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Your avatar makes me think of this.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Thread moved from intros to general chit chat, I didn't even think of this forum!! (not sure I knew it existed
)
Thanks for the move!! Now give me some stars people, I worked hard and did an awesome job!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

Your avatar makes me think of this.

LOVE IT!!! ... although I'm much better looking!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Yeah, I know, LightSpeed. You're a good poster and I enjoy your posts. But I did want to address the sensitivity because I feel that sensitive and caring posters are sorely needed here lately. I got your humor. I'm not bustin' yer chops about it. It's all copacetic.

Now, back to doing battle on another thread.....in a sensitive and caring way, of course.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Sounds like you are getting the hang of things.
I have seen you around and welcome it.
Play for awhile longer ,your brain will burst open and you will become numb till your senses come back.
Enjoy!
K

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Thanks!
I love your avatar! The pooch looks like he's chillin! I've seen you in several places and remember it because of the avatar.
There are about half a dozen that really stick out to me and your'e one of them. I guess the animal lover in me draws me to them. ... I've also noticed that those with animal avatars are always the more calm, cool and collected that I've encountered so far

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Are you planning on aging your avatar as you post here longer, and are sure of your "footing" (flying)? This is a very nice thread, and will be helpful to lots of us reading it. I'm sure that "playing dumb" line is going to follow you and pop up whenever people think you are playing dumb - nice Catch-22 you created for yourself there. Enjoy!

edit on 21-5-2012 by Aleister because: edit

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister

Are you planning on aging your avatar as you post here longer, and are sure of your "footing" (flying)? This is a very nice thread, and will be helpful to lots of us reading it. I'm sure that "playing dumb" line is going to follow you and pop up whenever people think you are playing dumb - nice Catch-22 you created for yourself there. Enjoy!

edit on 21-5-2012 by Aleister because: edit

Nah, purple chitens never age, it's part of the nuclear fallout's effects

Playing dumb is definitely one of my finer strokes of genius!

Thanks!
see ya round the thread-cooler

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
How I came to be...

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Just gave you a flag and a bunch-o-stars, just for being so introspective. It's good to see other members actually thinking about what they post.

Just two weeks here? You are a quick study. Kudos!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

Just gave you a flag and a bunch-o-stars, just for being so introspective. It's good to see other members actually thinking about what they post.

Just two weeks here? You are a quick study. Kudos!

Thanks Dewd!!
Lots of carryover from the AOL message boards from years ago

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
S&F! Very well constructed thread. A lot of new members will benefit from your insight. You will definitely be one of the members people here remember and respect (should anyway)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Rustyk

Thanks!!! It's been an interesting ride, but I think I'm getting the hang of it now

top topics

<<   2 >>

join