It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Met Police to extract suspects' mobile phone data

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Always have a burner as well as a contract phone.

I doubt the legality of keeping data stored on phones without them having reasonable suspicion that they have been used, or are about to be used, in illegal activities.
I'm sure any half decent lawyer will be able to defend this and various civil rights organisations will probably oppose it.

The police are alienating themselves from the general public.
They believe they are above the law and have become lawmakers themselves instead of simply being enforcers of the law, a dangerous situation.
They have strictly policed any demonstrations against the austerity cuts and civil liberty issues etc and now that they themselves are facing cuts they expect the self same people they have treat like crap to stand up and support them.
Sorry, but life doesn't work like that.

And I very much doubt the legality of allowing private companies the right to replace the police.
I suspect such a move would require the consent of Parliament, now that would be an interesting debate etc
edit on 17/5/12 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Doesn't surprise me. I bet a Murdoch newspaper would pay them for the info they found

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
With the police gaining knowledge into the internet history and phone data of an individual as well as having all kinds of CCTV available one would expect that the police would act on all this information and make some arrests?
And there is the problem isn't it ? they do not seem to be acting on the information and England is a violent place with a police force that meekly hands out fines to the public and avoids criminals like the plague.

My theory is that all the information gathering is not for police work by traditional police.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by BMorris
reply to post by nofear39

The Telecommuncations Act 2000 hid a very nasty section, that basically says, if you refuse to give up your passwords so that communications can be decrypted, you go directly to jail for 6 months. While a judge reviews the case, you don't actually get a trial over it. Its just... Straight to jail.

If after your 6 months, you still don't give up your password, you go down for another 6 months. Repeat, ad-infinitum.

A friend advises me the act was modified in 2005, to acknowlege that it is possible for a person to have forgotton their password, I am unsure how this aspect of it works.

So contary to popular belief, "no comment" will not work when they come demanding your password.

In that case I would go to prison for a very long time... Or until they got a warrent. If they really needed access to my phone they'd get one very quickly.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Thanks for article S&F

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Must have gotten the idea from NewsCorp.

Yea, that's pretty sick right there, what's wrong with these people?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Whats even more worrying is a headline i read on the Daily Mail over here in the UK today:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Its basically an article stating that the Police can track our everymove and see everything we have in our phones by users using the iPhones iCloud facility to backup their phones.

It was obvious of the pitfalls of backing up your phones data to any network online server, i myself have disabled the feature on my phone as it was attempting to backup everyday! However, this article looks like it may be trying to sweeten people up to the possibility that this will become a reality.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

edit on 18-5-2012 by donlashway because: didn't read , made repeat sorry

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I find this latest development REALLY ironic, as it was slapped all over the news papers today, about a guy who FINALLY got released from nick after 7 whole years, sentenced for a murder he DIDN'T commit... They finally realised it wasn't him after viewing photos he had on his phone proving he was miles away at an event at the time of the murder.

The police claimed they couldn't view the photos previously, like 7 years ago, as they didn't have the equipment to view them (???!!!) Erm did they try clicking "open"??

Foooking twaats

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Well, there are already several things you can do. You can lock down the SD card in your phone with an encrypted password, you can also lock down the phone itself as well.

I believe there are apps that will clear everything on the phone, but it takes several minutes to do so, as deleting over 2gb of data is not simple on a slow microsd card.

If you know the cops are coming for you, or you have a minutes time. Just throw it in the microwave for 30 seconds and it will toast the entire phone and it will be unable to recover.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
We're on the brink of outright fascism here.

I always wondered why we in the UK were basically being given for free phones, that elsewhere, still cost a lot of money. Quid quo pro huh? I have a horrible feeling that the UK is being used as a lab rat in some kind of international experiment to test how much of an invasion of our privacy we will actually tolerate. CCTV being an example of this creeping onslaught - for goodness sake - we have facial recognition cameras, cameras that shout at you (to help prevent littering they claim - hee haw) and cameras that can seek particular reg plates on a car.

How much will we tolerate? Very much it would seem.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

And that is one of the best tricks they use.. bring in each bit, bit by bit, until it's all too late and you find yourself walled in, locked up and can't breath without permission.

It makes me wonder how the economy and the internet tie into all of this..

When you consider that if you've got a job, they know you're at work, when you leave work they can follow your car with cctv... once you're home they know what your doing online. Switch your computer off and you're off to bed..

And if the news of the world newspaper can hack your mobile just what are TPTB up to behind closed doors?

If you're not doing any of the above and you're not digning on as unemployed, then you might be put on some secret list asking for your whereabouts and what you're up to..

The questions we get asked these days by many companies and official bodies is getting more intrusive.
When you buy almost anything, you're asked for your postcode, telephone number, email adress and other things in order for the sale to be completed.. none of which are necesary but many fall into the trap of answering..

But, when the sea erodes the shoreline long enough, then the shoreline collapses and gets swallowed up.
Unless a way can be found to strengthen the shore and defend against invasion...

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

And that is one of the best tricks they use.. bring in each bit, bit by bit, until it's all too late and you find yourself walled in, locked up and can't breath without permission.

You know something - I think we're walled in already. And the rest of your post demonstrates the truth of that.

I had to teach my son that he was wrong, when he was about 10 yrs of age, when he quipped (obviously citing his school teacher) that he didn't mind the cameras because as he'd 'done nothing wrong' he had 'nothing to fear'. That was 12 years ago - and it was at that time that I realised (to my horror actually) that there was already a generation completely adjusted to having their privacy invaded for no reason at all by the state.

This is a Pandora's Box....and its already been opened.
edit on 18-5-2012 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien

I am deeply sickened and annoyed by the way the police have been acting recently, which I will expand on in a minute..

I'm also annoyed by the way the police and the government have been playing 'cat and mouse' with each other.

There is a reason as to why the police now wish to take all your mobile info, and kewep it, should you be arrested by them.. I feel they have done this because of what happened in regards to the video footage of a gypsy camp being broken up..
full story for that here;

Media organisations have won a High Court battle over police orders to give up film of the evictions from the traveller site at Dale Farm in Essex.

The police claimed they needed the footage from organisations like the BBC and BSkyB to pursue prosecutions.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Collecting and keeping the phone data 'under the suspicion' of your phone being used for criminal activity is an easy excuse to tap into your private life and into the private lives of innocent people.

So, what else is annoying me about the police, well just the other day they all marched in London on protest due to the cuts being made..

British Police Go Wild, London May 10th

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now here comes the crunch.. this one from Croydon,

Private security company offers to replace police

www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk...
This one is from the West Midlands

West Midlands Police private firm plan criticised

www.bbc.co.uk...
and this video of how PCSO's are apparently gaining power..

And this one from Exeter,

Council hires security to plug gaps in police cover

www.thisisexeter.co.uk...

So just why do the police feel they need to invade our privacy any further and keep, forever, anything the y feel they want to take?
If it turns out that the entire police force is going to be privatised, then just who is buying all this information because that is what it really boils down to, a massive data base of info relating to us all..

IMO, this has nothing to do with policing and more to do with data mining, money, power and control.

The British police force, once believed to be the best in the workld is being destroyed and broken down in order to make a profit..
Private security/police onyour doorstep 24/7 and you'll just have to do as your told.

This is way out of line already and it will only get worse..
This could be compared to the Nazi brown shirts jusat before WW2.. Especially as we seem to be so very close to another major war somewhere in the world.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Deeply sickened and annoyed? Let the rest of us know when you're ready to do something about it.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by angrysniper

Is bringing this story out into the open not enough?
Is sharing my thoughts and opinions not enough?

At least it's a start. It's something more than a one line reply..

You'll be surprised what I do when I'm out mixing with the rest of the population, what I talk about, what I spread and share.. and how I try to at least give others another point of view they'd never considered..

What do you do?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join