It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth about "New Agers"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Well, I wouldn't go around calling you New Age. To me, New Age implies certain key characteristics. Though you may display some of those, so do Hindus, Christians, Buddhists, Jews, and Satanists. In other words, I wouldn't can a person a Christian simply because they believe in Christ Jesus. I certainly do, but I'm neither Protestant nor Catholic nor anything else under the sun.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
i never knew i was a new ager i was what i was and no one could tell me different but we r all gods finger prints that all i know i hate putting labels on thing because then then it can be mock new ager is a old idea made know agian but the only diferent now there alot of us here now

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ManjushriPrajna

I am a Christian because Spirit led me to Christ's message in the bible when I was a child. This is the message that has had the greatest impact on me, but have left behind the Church's to the inner journey. I just shelf all ideas on whether he is literal or metaphor, for it doesnt matter to me, Light is Conscious and walks with us, we always have Immanuel with us, so I don't care, as long as Love is Love and we can seek within to get on task to do what we came to do and help others, all the rest pales in comparison.
edit on 14-5-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Unity if a funky concept!

I've been thinking about it a while...it's been part of my screen name since high school

Anyways, the way you describe unity is more of a perspective on than an observation.

You're choosing to look at it from one angle, instead of many!

Unity and Separation are conjoined.

Same as with Life and death, etc, etc, etc....

I don't see any unity outside of self-preservation.

Whatever you observe, and get a fuzzy feeling over...allow yourself to think back to how and why each ceremony, tribal dance, smile, ecosystem, or what have you came to be.

It's all a dance between entropy and unity, my friend.

I think that the new age can be seen as the east meeting the west, and in the mingling between spiritual culture clashes, there will be misinterpretations and psychotics spouting out nonsense without having real understanding of their knowledge/experiences.

Basically I think the name has been so twisted and screwed with by a bunch of foolish people, that it should be dropped from anyone trying to pursue self-enlightenment.

I don't think it does any good to keep it at.

The new age died before it was allowed to begin.

Period.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

TextWhatever you observe, and get a fuzzy feeling over...allow yourself to think back to how and why each ceremony, tribal dance, smile, ecosystem, or what have you came to be.
reply to post by unityemissions

I call that feeling.....inspiration.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by nimbinned

Why don't you just drop the 'new age' tag and call yourself a spiritualist, because essentially that is what you are by the sounds of it. You take bits and pieces from various religious doctrines, philosophies and archaic systems and cultivate your own means of perceiving your internal and external worlds.

I don't label myself a New Ager by any means, and I actually dislike the term honestly. I'm just trying to relay to people that many people who unknowingly fall into the category of "New Age" don't fall into the stereotypes that some people like to apply to us. Like you said, I'm a spiritualist if anything. I try and listen to my soul, my true self, and work in unison with the universe.

Also, I'd like to address I see a lot of negative posts stating that it's a sham(references to Dragonball Z, haha.) and so forth. I'm completely content with your opinions as I am my own, and we don't expect you to believe or understand what it is we believe by any means. I personally believe everyone should follow their own path and discover their own awesome truths about life, whatever they may be.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Gen 2:7

And the LORD God formed man [of] the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Originally posted by ManjushriPrajna

The problem with boxes is, however, that there are those who have been in the box for a long time. And after a while, they realize they've learned a lot about the stuff in the box. But instead of going over and having a peek inside another box, they stay in their own and start wanting to have some position of power, some modicum of celebrity. They hold onto this dearly, and anybody who tries to bring up something from outside the box is ridiculed and demonized. This gives rise to inflated egos, and before long, spirituality becomes religion, and religion degenerates into abject fanaticism.

Gen 2:18

And the LORD God said, [It is] not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

Zeus, set Hephaestos the task of creating a clay woman with a human voice. Hephaestos worked and worked and created a masterpiece.

Gen 2:22

And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

Gen 2:23

And Adam said, This [is] now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

Athene, goddess of wisdom and Zeus' daughter liked the clay figure and she breathed life into it. She taught the woman how to weave and clothed her. Aphrodite the goddess of love made her beautiful. The god Hermes taught her to charm and deceive.

Zeus was pleased with what he saw, but he had made her as a trap. He named the woman Pandora and sent her as a gift to Epimetheus.

Gen 2:24

Therefore ...... they shall be one flash

Gen 2:25

And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.
www.blueletterbible.org...

Epimetheus had been warned by his brother Prometheus that he should never accept gifts from Zeus because there would always be a catch. Epimetheus ignored his brother's warning, fell in love with Pandora and married her. Zeus, pleased that his trap was working gave Pandora a wedding gift of a beautiful box. There was one condition however...that was that she never opened the box.

For a while they were very happy.

Originally posted by ManjushriPrajna

If you cling too much, the world passes by around you, and you end up missing a lot of beautiful stuff going on. So start browsing all the boxes. You never know. Some interesting things just might start popping up...
Finally she could stand it no longer..... atschool.eduweb.co.uk...
however, Zeus did not punish Pandora; because he knew this would happen.
.....Pandora's Box is an artifact in Greek mythology, taken from the myth of Pandora's creation in Hesiod's Works and Days.[1] The "box" was actually a large jar (πίθος pithos)[2] given to Pandora (Πανδώρα) ("all-gifted", "all-giving"),[3] which contained all the evils of the world. Today, to open Pandora's box means to create evil that cannot be undone.

In classical Greek mythology, Pandora was the first woman on Earth. Zeus ordered Hephaestus, the God of craftsmanship, to create her, so he did—using water and Earth.[4] The gods endowed her with many gifts: Athena clothed her, Aphrodite gave her beauty, and Hermes speech.[5]

When Prometheus stole fire from heaven, Zeus took vengeance by presenting Pandora to Epimetheus, Prometheus' brother. With her, Pandora was given a beautiful container which she was not to open under any circumstance. Impelled by her curiosity given to her by the gods, Pandora opened it, and all evil contained therein escaped and spread over the earth. She hastened to close the container, but the whole contents had escaped, except for one thing that lay at the bottom, which was the angel of Hope named Astrea. Pandora was deeply saddened by what she had done, and was afraid that she would have to face Zeus' wrath, since she had failed her duty; however
Etymology of "Box"

A pithos from Crete, ca. 675 BC. Louvre

An Attic pyxis, 440–430 BC. British Museum
The original Greek word used was pithos, which is a large jar, sometimes as large as a small person (Diogenes of Sinope was said to have once slept in one). It was used for storage of wine, oil, grain or other provisions, or, ritually, as a container for a human body for burying.[6][7] In the case of Pandora, this jar may have been made of clay for use as storage as in the usual sense, or of bronze metal as an unbreakable prison.[8]

The mistranslation of pithos is usually attributed to the 16th century humanist Erasmus of Rotterdam who translated Hesiod's tale of Pandora into Latin. Erasmus rendered pithos as the Greek pyxis, meaning "box".[9]
en.wikipedia.org...'s_box
Erasmus was a classical scholar who wrote Latin (play /ˈlætɪn/; Latin: lingua latīna, IPA: [laˈtiːna]) is an Italic language[3] originally spoken in Latium and Ancient Rome. It, along with most European languages, is a descendant of the ancient Proto-Indo-European language.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Another way of describing them is:

Hippie...the next generation.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
lingua latina

Fusional_language en.wikipedia.org...
...............................................................................................................however -- j-a-r as a new.. years box its always in just comes & goes
...its all.. already

Noun

jaar (plural jare, diminutive jaartjie, diminutive plural jaartjies)
1.year

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[edit] Dutch

[edit] Etymology

From Old Dutch jār, from Proto-Germanic *jēran.

[edit] Pronunciation
Rhymes: -aːr
IPA: /jaːr/

audio

Play sound

(file)

[edit] Noun

jaar n (plural jaren, diminutive jaartje)
1.year
en.wiktionary.org...
although yar - a real Origin uncertain. en.wiktionary.org...
edit on 14-5-2012 by nii900 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Well the OP title doesnt come close to the truth. In fact its disconnected from the truth.

The "New Age" is a term coined back in 1909 by Swinburne Clymer. It is an Occult Idea and has nothing to do with the east.

That is the whole and total source of the beginning. You may begin again in your search. Google is great if you start with solid facts.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Hows this for a "new age" thought:

"New Age" is nothing but a label for a compartMENTALized box for which to put things in we attribute to being "New Age"...the atributes of "New Age" are so vague and flimsy there is no clear concensus about what exactly it "IS" or promotes...only as the OP said...what each person believes and interprets "New Age" to be...

so ultimately its no different than "The Bible"...vague and flimsy to the point there are infinite interpretations and understandings, which leads to misunderstanding and confusion...it doesn't actually bring people together as much as it rips them apart.

For me it is silly to say "I am a new ager" because there is no way to know if others think of "new ager" in the same terms/understanding you do...I mean you might as well say, "I am a wignug futtle tonk"...because your going to have to explain either of them for clairfication anyway...

Lets say you define "New Ager" as enlightened, and your audience defines "New Ager" as a pseudoscientific quack....You calling yourself a "new ager" is actually an insult to yourself...Its best to just express your beliefes and ideas and leave the label/title out of it, otherwise you are going to have a mix of preconcieved notions. There is no way to know how everyone defines what you are lebeling yourself...

This expands to many "other" labels and definitions I think are ultimately silly, much like liberal or concervative, left wing, right wing, its all ultimately compartmentalized mental processes that promote generalization(s), misconceptions, misunderstandings, and ultimately a very poor view of the world and people around you as well as very poor communication with them.

Racism/bigotry etc are a result of compartmentalized mental processes that are facilitated with "labels" on mental boxes....

When someone tells me they are a liberal or a concervative, I always smile and chuckle because it seems so silly to me to do so...Just tell me what you believe in or don't believe in, otherwise Im going to go into my mental box labeled "liberal" or "Concervative" and pull out all kinds of attributes that may not actually pertain to you...

When you explain what you believe and don't beleive in instead of just labeling yourself, you will find that most likely you hold views on both ends of the spectrum making you ultimately, neither of them...

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

I do believe the meaning to it, sir, is to find the truth about yourself and the universe and using what resources you have to make personal discoveries that will lead to your truth. I can understand where you're coming from, though.

reply to post by woodwytch

Thank you very much! I personally dislike many of the people who use the guise of "New Age" and consider themselves spiritual yet only use it as means to profit off others. And yes, the term New Age bothers me as well, because don't get me wrong, there's a lot of people just wandering and using spiritual enlightenment as a word to justify their belonging, yet contradict the very fabric of what spiritual enlightenment means.

reply to post by DJW001

You cannot judge everyone in the New Age group by a few people who are just out their to profit off others.

My intention is far from "diametrically opposed" to Buddhism. I've read Siddhartha, and the person who instructed me many years ago about spirituality and so forth was a Buddhist monk who studied in South Korea for a number of years.

Also, I did say the beliefs are in similarity with Buddhism, not our disciplines. I assume you've read Siddhartha, and if you have maybe you can understand what I'm saying.

reply to post by seabhac-rua

Yes, that's kind of the issue at hand. Basically, if you believe in spirituality and follow a path of personal and interpersonal connection, you're now a "New Ager". I don't dress like a hippy and you'd probably never think I hold the beliefs I do if you met me, I act like a completely normal person. That's why I wanted to clear it up what exactly is a New Ager.

reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Once again, I do not have a religion. I'd appreciate it if you'd stop implying I do. I do not have a doctrine, either. Unless you consider doing what you feel is right a doctrine, sure - however I'd consider it common sense personally.

Also, I don't recall calling it the truth. I accept it may be nothing at all.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by b3l13v3

I find the put down on the term new age to be deliberate and controlling and done by the PTB.

Because New Age is often quantum spirituality, and has its own, uncontrollable free thinking way, it is not defined and not one box, it is a modern concept of unity of modern quantum and ancient theories and spiritual beliefs, it has no leader, and is free, and so its STAMPED OUT as quick as possible and slurred by people constantly. And when you see patterns of put downs, you always have to 1. ask why! and 2. wonder why they feel so threatened by this free form spirtuality! Maybe they don't like ppl grasping the quantum so easily.

I don't know but where there is put downs and smoke there is fire.

The conspiracy angle with the "label" and "put down" is immediate. If you speak out of the box, like I do, or post on experiences in ufology instantly the New Age labels come out and its always derogatory and put downs, and I just laugh because they give themselves away and I gather more information on the control grid, which is going down by the way.

So, if anything shakes the tree and gathers the responses, then more info is being had by the ones seeking.

The major control of earth is done via religions.

And I delight being called a hippy. Love it. Grew up on a family farm that was called a Hippy Farm amongst many, and we had ppl travel from Europe even, having heard of our place, for some reason, and am always forever a hippy, with memories of running through the sprinklers naked, family had no hangups, and grass roots equalty, late night conversations out of the box about everything.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

I'm aware of what you say

And what you say would have been a nice addition to my OP.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
reply to post by b3l13v3

I find the put down on the term new age to be deliberate and controlling and done by the PTB.

Of course. They'd have you believe that Anton Lavey's Church of Satan is "new age." It most certainly is not.

You have got to understand some of the basic tenents of the "new age" to understand why the PTB would spill propaganda about it.

1) Love
2) Hope
3)Unity
4) The power of the individual

All of these concepts are very threatening and frightening to the PTB.

edit on 14-5-2012 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Satanism is old school. To me the missing element in what is new age to me, comparative to simply traditional but universal concepts, is the quantum/metaphysics, infinity/entanglement, psi/remote viewing, and ufology, all of these are components of different views that fit into new age, and I think they find this waking up, very threatening.

And they always attack unconditonal love, and call it pink unicorns and fluff.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
The problem with the new age movement is that it's term so broad you could drive a train through it............. sideways.

every member of the "new age movement" will tell you it's something different

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Yes, all of that falls, to an extent, under "new age" as well. That's why the label is so confuzing to people. When someone says, "I'm a new ager," most peoples initial question is "meaning what?" The "new age" covers such a wide expanse of things that it could mean almost anything.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Laveyan Satanism is a purely antichristian philosophy of the human animal that dates back to the Dark Ages. I like to call it theatrical antitheism.

As such, it's not really related to New Age or any of its beliefs.

But I'm rambling again.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by JailTales
The problem with the new age movement is that it's term so broad you could drive a train through it............. sideways.

every member of the "new age movement" will tell you it's something different

That's true. I'm a "new ager...." However, I'm not one of these crystal and pyramid power types....LOL... Most people would say, "Well, that would kind of disqualify you." Uh, no. LOL

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join