It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time travel through space in a wormhole.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
So theoretically if we could bend space and time and traveled through a wormhole and came out at a point in space that was say for example 10 billlion light years away would we age or would we stay the same age and the people we left on earth age by 10 billion light years when we got to the theoretical point on the other side?

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by swampcricket

That's a good quest....It would have to be a freeze dried run...maybe

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
So do you mean human stasis?

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by swampcricket
So theoretically if we could bend space and time and traveled through a wormhole and came out at a point in space that was say for example 10 billlion light years away would we age or would we stay the same age and the people we left on earth age by 10 billion light years when we got to the theoretical point on the other side?

Ok first worm holes violate a couple of laws it.So just because anythings possible ill say its highly unlikely they exist. But theoretically a worm hole literally brings another part of the universe to you. So you wouldnt really be any older because you never really have to travel the speed of light. you enter worm hole and your in a new location sort of like having a sheet of paper and folding it.You can get from one place to the other side of the paper without going through all the stuff in between.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
sweet thread bro

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr

Ok first worm holes violate a couple of laws it.So just because anythings possible ill say its highly unlikely they exist. But theoretically a worm hole literally brings another part of the universe to you. So you wouldnt really be any older because you never really have to travel the speed of light. you enter worm hole and your in a new location sort of like having a sheet of paper and folding it.You can get from one place to the other side of the paper without going through all the stuff in between.

Ok yea it violates laws as WE know on earth. We do not know all the physics of the universe, just what we have discovered so far.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

A wormhole is instantaneous travel from point a to point b. Since you would not be traveling through 'normal' space, time dilation effects would not kick in & there would be no aging between you & those back on Earth.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr

Wormholes don't break any laws of physics. In fact GR caters for them.

The big holdup even if we found proof of their existence would be something called 'negative energy' or 'exotic matter' to open them up & stabilise it long enough for us to go through.
edit on 12-5-2012 by big_BHOY because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Theoretically we can't answer your question, since there's no information to go on. I will say theoretically you would just appear with no time elapsing.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
If you could shield yourself from all the Neutrino's you'd pass through on your trip, you wouldn't age.

If you interacted with all the Neutrino's that passed through you, you'd come out dead.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
If you could shield yourself from all the Neutrino's you'd pass through on your trip, you wouldn't age.

If you interacted with all the Neutrino's that passed through you, you'd come out dead.

Why the heck would that matter.

Neutrinos can pass through the entire planet without being affected. In fact every second, there are literally tens of thousands of them going through your entire body.

If you had to be shielding yourself from anything while going through a wormhole, it would be radiation.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Time and space are interchangeable expressions of the same "thing", whatever that "thing" is. Time happens to be space functioning as purely kinetic. Space happens to be the same "thing" functioning as purely static. If you (a "load" experiencing the interchange of infinite space which is the infinitesimal duration present, to time as eternal "all the past") could become a pure time entity, your destination in space is unlimited in possibility. Of course you would have to reconstitute from a a pure time being back into a space-time being such as we are now.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

I too fail to understand the logic, can you enlighten me?

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Hey, OP, now that you have open the topic for discussion, I wish to relate an experience I had last year, in my doctor's office. The nurse had taken my vitals, and I was waiting for the doctor to come in. I closed my eyes, as I often do while waiting, and went to the Right-Brain.
Suddenly, right before my eyes, a "tunnel" opened up. I looked like it had rings that went around and around, and the tunnel was a light brown in color, with a hazed lighting effect. I was looking, and the end of the tunnel appeared, and I could see bright Sunlight, and grass. I realized I was seeing my own front yard, in about 1960. I could see myself playing with the Border Collie we had, and my sisters playing with their dolls. My Mom was doing the washing in her Maytag, out in the yard, and I saw my Step Dad pull up in our car, a green 1953 Ford.
Just then the doctor walked in and broke the spell. I was quite take aback my this, and was visibly shaken. She asked me, "You were somewhere else, weren't you?"

So, what thinks you all? Wormhole to a past event, or something else? This has only happened the one time, so I have no comparative results.

top topics

join